Hairbraiding on St. Thomas

CaribbeanKim

My family is going to the eastern caribbean in June. We've decided not to get braids at our first port, due to formal night. But after that, the girls want braids. Anyone with experiences in St. Thomas? How much can you expect to pay per braid there, as opposed to Bahamas, Jamaica, Mexico, etc? Also, are the "braiders" right there at the dock?

Caribbean Kim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;12;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown to Caribbean breezes!!!

CCL Glory 6-04

CCL Fascination 9-03

CCL Victory 7-02

NCL Sunward 72

NCL Skyward 70

I don't have a price comparison between islands. But for the other questions yes there are braiders close to the dock, but not right at/on the dock. And at Vendors Plaza in town, Charlotte Amalie. Coki Beach has hair braiders and I think Magens Bay has one booth with a hair braider next to the bar area.

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit http://www.***** the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

My daughter had 2 braids put in by a hair braider on Coki Beach. When asked how much, she said, "$2 a braid but I'll do it for $1." (We hadn't even asked for a discount nor did she know at the time how many braids she'd want.)

She and another woman had been arguing prior to that about taking their customers away and being in their territory. It got pretty ugly. The one woman said she was going to bash her f****ng head in with a rock. She didn't even care that tourists were around listening. (We had the lady who didn't swear do our daughter's hair.)

Sue

Mariner of the Seas - 4/11-4/18/04

Thanx for the info Sue! I'm glad to know that the prices are fairly reasonable, because I have 2 girls that will be wanting it done!

It just goes to show that you will meet all kinds of people when you're traveling. I'm sorry that such an ugly incident took place in front of the tourists...especially your daughter! You made the right decision opting for the woman that didn't show her b#%&!!

Caribbean Kim

CCL Glory 6-04

CCL Fascination 9-03

CCL Victory 7-02

NCL Sunward 72

NCL Skyward 70

"Just another day in Paradise!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;12;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I just had mine done in St Martin and it was $2 a braid. I told them I want thicker braids but instead the gave me the tiny braids. I cost me $68 total and that was not full head either. I had to have my husband take them out just last night. It took 4 hrs to get 34 braids out of my hair so really think about it. It really is cute but ask your kids if only a couple would satisfy them. Now my friends got 12 braids underneath their hair (down by neck line) so that way they could still pull their hair up for formal night. It looked better then mine that was on top of my head.

• 10 months later...

I had braids done on Coki beach - $1.50 for each and I only had 4 loose ones done in the back. I kept them in for more than 2 weeks- they were not tight at the scalp and I could go to work with them. The woman was nice.

Purplebubbbie :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
My family is going to the eastern caribbean in June. We've decided not to get braids at our first port, due to formal night.

I know you don't want them done for formal night. But my local hairdresser does the front of my hair for $15. You may want to ask your local hairdresser. If you have the top front done it is pulled out of their face and you could just curl the back. It may be very cute, even for formal night! :p And cheap!

In St Thomas the lady in Vendors Plaza will do them for $2.00 per braid. She has a really nice variety of beads and other hair ornaments to choose from. She accepts VISA. The two women who work there are very pleasant, usually sing while they put in your braids and make it a fun event.

After you get your hair braided walk across the street and get your picture taken with Oprah!

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

• 2 weeks later...

I have read on other posts about women being scammed with the tiny braid deal. They get stuck paying for a LOT of very tiny braids and spend much longer having it done than the anticipated. Just being cautious. :)

Archived