Western Caribbean Itinerary

Although I have cruised the Western Caribbean before, the itinerary did not include Belize.

Now, don't beat me up - I know I can post on the port section of the boards - and I will - but can anyone tell me about the Tikal Ruins, the Temple of the Large Masks, Plaza of the Acropolis shore excursion that goes from Belize into Guatemala? We really want to do this shore excursion but have some reservation due to information I read on the U.S. Department of State website.

I pulled the following off the US Department of State travel/consular travel information sheets:

The border between Belize and Guatemala is in dispute, but the dispute thus far has not affected travel between the two countries.

The incidence of crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, shootings, stabbings, murder, and rape, is on the rise. The Embassy has noted an increase in recent years in reports of crimes against tourists at resorts and on the roadways and rivers. The incidence of crimes such as theft, burglary, purse snatching and pick-pocketing rises around the winter holidays and spring break. Several victims who resisted when confronted by criminals have received serious personal injuries, including gunshot wounds. Although the majority of reported incidents are in Belize City, crime occurs in all districts including tourist spots such as San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.

Sexual harassment and/or assault of females traveling alone or in small groups can be a problem. Although violent sexual assault is not common, it does occur. Several American travelers have been the victims of sexual assaults in recent years. At least one of these rapes occurred after the victim accepted a lift from an acquaintance, while another occurred during an armed robbery at an isolated resort.

To minimize the risk of being targeted, visitors should travel in groups, stay off the streets after dark, in urban and rural areas, and avoid wearing jewelry, or carrying valuable or expensive items. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women’s handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

Armed robberies of American tourist groups have been reported near the western border with Guatemala in the past few years, several of which escalated to sexual assault. In the past, criminals have targeted popular Mayan archeological sites in that region. Visitors should travel in groups and should stick to the main plazas and tourist sites. Although there are armed guards posted at some of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking from one site to another. Victims who resist when confronted by these armed assailants frequently suffer personal injury. The number of armed robberies on rivers in the western districts increased significantly in early 2005.

Travel on rural roads, especially at night, increases the risk of encountering criminal activities. Widespread narcotics and alien smuggling activities can make remote areas especially dangerous. Though there is no evidence that Americans in particular are targeted, criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should be vigilant.

Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. It is best to stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Travelers should avoid budget hotels, which lack security guards and safes for guests, as guests in such hotels are more vulnerable to crime. Do not explore back roads or isolated paths near tourist sites. And remember always to pay close attention to your surroundings

I know that most of these warnings are just plain common sense. For these reasons, we generally make our shore excursion arrangements through Royal Caribbean.

What bothers me the most about the consular information sheet is the reference to the Mayan ruins.

So, if anyone out there has gone into the Tikal Ruins, please let me know what you thought. Did you feel safe? Was it worth the risk?

Thanks to all.

Archived