Mayan Ruins

Diva Onboard

Although I have cruised the Western Caribbean before, the itinerary did not include Belize.

Can anyone tell me about the Tikal Ruins, the Temple of the Large Masks, Plaza of the Acropolis - the shore excursion that goes from Belize into Guatemala? We really want to do this shore excursion but have some reservation due to information I read on the U.S. Department of State website.

I pulled the following off the US Department of State travel/consular travel information sheets:

The border between Belize and Guatemala is in dispute, but the dispute thus far has not affected travel between the two countries.

The incidence of crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, shootings, stabbings, murder, and rape, is on the rise. The Embassy has noted an increase in recent years in reports of crimes against tourists at resorts and on the roadways and rivers. The incidence of crimes such as theft, burglary, purse snatching and pick-pocketing rises around the winter holidays and spring break. Several victims who resisted when confronted by criminals have received serious personal injuries, including gunshot wounds. Although the majority of reported incidents are in Belize City, crime occurs in all districts including tourist spots such as San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.

Sexual harassment and/or assault of females traveling alone or in small groups can be a problem. Although violent sexual assault is not common, it does occur. Several American travelers have been the victims of sexual assaults in recent years. At least one of these rapes occurred after the victim accepted a lift from an acquaintance, while another occurred during an armed robbery at an isolated resort.

To minimize the risk of being targeted, visitors should travel in groups, stay off the streets after dark, in urban and rural areas, and avoid wearing jewelry, or carrying valuable or expensive items. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women’s handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

Armed robberies of American tourist groups have been reported near the western border with Guatemala in the past few years, several of which escalated to sexual assault. In the past, criminals have targeted popular Mayan archeological sites in that region. Visitors should travel in groups and should stick to the main plazas and tourist sites. Although there are armed guards posted at some of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking from one site to another. Victims who resist when confronted by these armed assailants frequently suffer personal injury. The number of armed robberies on rivers in the western districts increased significantly in early 2005.

Travel on rural roads, especially at night, increases the risk of encountering criminal activities. Widespread narcotics and alien smuggling activities can make remote areas especially dangerous. Though there is no evidence that Americans in particular are targeted, criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should be vigilant.

Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. It is best to stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Travelers should avoid budget hotels, which lack security guards and safes for guests, as guests in such hotels are more vulnerable to crime. Do not explore back roads or isolated paths near tourist sites. And remember always to pay close attention to your surroundings

I know that most of these warnings are just plain common sense. For these reasons, we generally make our shore excursion arrangements through Royal Caribbean.

What bothers me the most about the consular information sheet is the reference to the Mayan ruins.

So, if anyone out there has gone into the Tikal Ruins, please let me know what you thought. Did you feel safe? Was it worth the risk?

Thanks to all.

This is a wonderful tour and we always felt very safe. There a lot of threads, many of which I posted to, where you can get details of the excursion.

One thing I will say is that, given the current situation in the world (and the length of some of the tours in Central America), I would book excursions through the cruise lines. Some of the independent operators are probably just fine, but I will error on the side of caution, even if it is a little more expensive.

Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure the locations.. but did the Tikal trip from Guatemala City (fly into airport and then a long bus ride to the ruins).

It was ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. It was so much better than the ruins in Mexico that are so so so touristy.

Remember the Star Wars (think it was the base on the Moon of Endor) where they take off with a temple as part of the shot... that was Tikal!

I was with a large group . that all spoke German except for two of us speaking English. The tour company had a German guide and an English guide... so essentially the two of us had a private tour. The guide was FABULOUS.

Now, I will warn you .. Tikal is a LOT of walking in the jungle. 80% is covered (trees) paths some paths are stone and hard walking while some are just dirt. The complex is partially excavated... there is a LOT vegetation and most of the 'lakes' are full of trees as they have overgrown the past many years.

THEN you turn a corner and come out of the forest onto an incredible temples or building. It was most amazing. The central 'plaza' yes is quite clean and open and many buildings in the area . but most temples are only somewhat cleared.. you feel like you are discovering something at each turn. The guide took us off the path .. and showed us the 'storeage' caves that were used .. and other very interesting things.

The jungle is HOT HOT and humid and then in the clearings the sun is very hot. Take plenty of water.

THEN after the 3-4 hour tour we were treated to 'lunch'. It was in a thatched roof hut with long tables.. and they were cooking over a fire. Had soup (vegetable) and everyone was like 'hot soup on a really hot day??' and then chicken for entree. It got our energy back . but the bus air conditioning felt VERY good!

Be aware if you fly in . there are two (or more) airlines . one is Air Tikal (or Tikal Air). They fly jets while the other airline flys props... and the price changes by the type of plane you fly (the tour company met both planes).

I would go back again! It was probably one of the top 10 things I have ever done! (granted that I would never plan a 4 hour hike in 90+ degrees knowing it ahead of time!)

Cannot offer any other locations to compare with .. Tikal was incredible . but took the whole day (7am to like 7pm) with the flights and driving.

Archived