FLAME SUIT ON----Tip Question

tricky_tink

Ok I would like to know. If you travel with kids does the Camp Carnival staff get a portion of the tips? Or would you tip them separately? I am considering removing our little ones tips since he is over 2 and just giving that amount to Camp staff if they are not included in the tip split? Does anyone know how that money is split? I would leave on for the other 3 people in our cabin and we tend to tip above and behond too. $25 to head waiter, $15 Asst. and $25 to room steward.

I have my flame suit on so please educate me on this! lol

Camp Carnival staff is not nearly as dependent on tips as room stewards, wait staff, etc. We've never tipped the Camp staff, though I know some do. We've also never adjusted our tips (up or down) from the standard amount.

We leave our tips on too - the staff actually go over and beyond the call of duty when kids are involved especially little ones.

I am also unsure as to why you feel the need to remove them :confused:. Your child even though 2 will still sleep in a bed that will need to be changed, eat meals that will be served to them etc, just because they are smaller doesn't mean they need any less than an older child or adult.

We tip the camp carnival staff extra as they dont get a share of the regular tips, they rely on tips from families that use the service.

Ready....Aim....Fire! JK. The Camp Carnival Staff is not included in the tip pool. Personally I leave the kids auto-tip as is because they, 10 & 12, receive as much service as us old folk do. When they were younger and went to Camp regularly, we tipped the staff who worked predominantly with my kids. Not sure if this is ok but it surely appeared to be appreciated

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I agree with others that I don't understand why you would remove the tips for your child. For reasons stated above, I would leave them in place.

When DD was young and went to Camp Carnival, we always tipped the counselors at the end of the cruise. They made her vacation incredible and every morning when she awoke, the first words out of her mouth would be "Can I go to camp?!?" That was well worth a tip! :D

I said little ones but was talking only about the 3 yr old. My other kids tip would certainly stay in place. My intention is to leave everyones tips alone if in fact camp staff gets some of our tips. I would only remove just the toddlers tip to give to camp staff if they would otherwise get nothing. My whole reasoning was we already pay a good amount in tips, my husband above that tips those few main people we deal with. I don't want the camp staff to get stiffed. The toddler as I see it will be with me like attached at my hip for the entire cruise. I clean up after my children, I would never leave a mess my kids make for someone else to take care of. I'm not looking to save money I asking if I can allocate funds a certain way not decrease those funds.

I said little ones but was talking only about the 3 yr old. My other kids tip would certainly stay in place. My intention is to leave everyones tips alone if in fact camp staff gets some of our tips. I would only remove just the toddlers tip to give to camp staff if they would otherwise get nothing. My whole reasoning was we already pay a good amount in tips, my husband above that tips those few main people we deal with. I don't want the camp staff to get stiffed. The toddler as I see it will be with me like attached at my hip for the entire cruise. I clean up after my children, I would never leave a mess my kids make for someone else to take care of. I'm not looking to save money I asking if I can allocate funds a certain way not decrease those funds.

Understand what you are saying, but camp staff is not dependent on tips, the others are.

flamethrower.gif

... had to share the little animation. Hopefully you won't need the flame suit!

We usually tip above and beyond the automatic gratuities to thank those crew members who go above and beyond. Of course, it is up to you to re-distribute your gratuities as you see fit ... as long as your realize that many of the people who would benefit from these tips are hard-working-behind-the-scenes individuals who don't make a great deal of money, and they really do depend on those tips! But with such a wee-little-guy, I understand why you might want to see the camp staff benefit more from his portion of the gratuities ...

You can do whatever you want and think is right. I still don't understand though why you would remove a three-year-old's tips. The staff will still provide service to him or her--they'll likely fawn all over him or her. :D

Camp Carnival staff is salaried, so they don't depend on tips like the wait staff and room stewards. However, they provide exceptional service (in our experience) and I've always given them a tip since they gave such great care and created such an awesome experience for DD.

You can do whatever you want and think is right. I still don't understand though why you would remove a three-year-old's tips. The staff will still provide service to him or her--they'll likely fawn all over him or her. :D

Camp Carnival staff is salaried, so they don't depend on tips like the wait staff and room stewards. However, they provide exceptional service (in our experience) and I've always given them a tip since they gave such great care and created such an awesome experience for DD.

Thank you! I did not know they were salary. I did not understand the comment how "they did not need it as much as others".. Makes sense now. I will leave the tips alone and have the kids give a small amount on the last day to camp staff.

I was ready with my flame suit though!

I was honestly under the impression these poor people putting up with kids were making the same $ hourly rate and on top of that got stiffed from tips. See CC can be civilized and not everyone asking a dumb question is trying to cheat the system. However I will be smuggling.......jk

or am I :P

Thank you! I did not know they were salary. I did not understand the comment how "they did not need it as much as others".. Makes sense now. I will leave the tips alone and have the kids give a small amount on the last day to camp staff.

Yes, always best to put that suit on when it's a tipping questions! LOL.

I love that you're going to have the kids give the tip to the counselors. I always had DD do it, too. It was a great way to teach her about tipping and why we do it. She's now almost 18 and when we cruise, she takes $$ out of her own spending money to tip tour guides. Makes me proud. :o

If you travel with kids does the Camp Carnival staff get a portion of the tips?

Nope, Camp Carnival staff are not included in the tipping pool.

Or would you tip them separately?

If you and your child like the camp service, absolutely. We do our tip in fives so that it's easily shared among camp staffers.

I am considering removing our little ones tips since he is over 2 and just giving that amount to Camp staff if they are not included in the tip split?

You can do that, but consider that you're removing his tips from one set of people who will work very hard for him (cabin steward, waitstaff) to give to another set of people who are already paid a higher wage. It's very true that the dining staff will accommodate his every need. Our toddler used to arrive to dinner to find his high chair in place with a glass of milk and plate of his favorite fruit on the table -- no waiting. Every team member doted on him, and the cabin steward checked in on his needs every day (not to mention cleaned trash cans with soiled diapers). I'd recommend leaving his tips in place and giving extra to the camp staff.

Does anyone know how that money is split?

Tips are split like this:

Main dining room waiter and assistant: $5.50/day/person

Cabin steward and assistant: $3.50/day/person

Additional waiters/cooks $1.00/day/person

Ok I would like to know. If you travel with kids does the Camp Carnival staff get a portion of the tips? Or would you tip them separately? I am considering removing our little ones tips since he is over 2 and just giving that amount to Camp staff if they are not included in the tip split? Does anyone know how that money is split? I would leave on for the other 3 people in our cabin and we tend to tip above and behond too. $25 to head waiter, $15 Asst. and $25 to room steward.

Camp Carnival Employees are paid differently then the one's you have mentioned that do recive tips. It is my understanding that the CC employees are paid a wage and do not rely on tips. So leave your tips as they are, because there are those who do rely on them.

Tips are split like this:

Main dining room waiter and assistant: $5.50/day/person

Cabin steward and assistant: $3.50/day/person

Additional waiters/cooks $1.00/day/person

That's actually the old tip split when tips were $10 pp/pd. Now they're 11.50. I don't know the breakout off the top of my head.

FYI. The reason that people like the camp staff are not in the overall tip pool, besides being paid differently is.

Your daily tip is split among those staff that everyone get the benefit of. Wait staff serve everyone, room stewards work in everyone's room, behind the scenes do everyones dishes. But camp staff only serve those who have children, therefore it really wouldn't be fair to charge me a tipping amount or service charge for camp councillors if I don't have any children.

Archived