Peanut Allergy

coffeecat

Do you cruise with a peanut allergy?

If so do you feel it is safe in terms of steps taken to avoid peanuts by the NCL staff and yourself?

Have you ever had a severe reaction to peanuts on an NCL ship that required epinephrine, doctor care, or life flighting off the boat?

I am trying to get a sense of what this would be like and make a determination about whether to press on with our multi-generational family cruise or come up with an alternative plan (stay home in a bubble perhaps?).

If any of you could share your experiences and insights or advice I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Coffeecat

Do you cruise with a peanut allergy?
I have a bad nut allergy; peanuts bother me a lot, but not as much as say an almond, pecan, walnut, etc. They typical throat closing, pre-shock, vomit, blood pressure results that the rest of our allergen group suffers from. i do have, and bring, and Epi.

If so do you feel it is safe in terms of steps taken to avoid peanuts by the NCL staff and yourself?
I have not cruised on NCL yet, but will do so next year. Have gone on 4 other lines. they are probably a little more careful then a typical restaurant / hotel / resort in terms of cross contamination.

Have you ever had a severe reaction to peanuts on an NCL ship that required epinephrine, doctor care, or life flighting off the boat?
No, but here is three things to remember. 1. INSUREMYTRIP . COM for your travel insurance needs. Never cruise without it. 2. Epi pens are great to have with you, and even better to have when you go ashore. 3. If you are having a good time and having fun, and decide to eat something that you normally would not have - it will have a nut in it and ruin your day.

I am trying to get a sense of what this would be like and make a determination about whether to press on with our multi-generational family cruise or come up with an alternative plan (stay home in a bubble perhaps?).
Press on by all means! Here is my recommendation. After you book, contact the cruise line directly and let them know about your allergy. When you get on board, make friendly with the matradee if you are in the main dining room. They and your head waiter will take care of you. On shore, stay away from many local foods (nothing new here) unless you are absolutely certain is is nut free.

If any of you could share your experiences and insights or advice I would be extremely grateful.

Having cruised on multiple lines, in terms of nuts, hands down Carnival did the best by me. I am a huge Royal fan, and will select them over other lines almost every time (save the Epic and Breakaway, and Dawn out of Boston), but Royal was the worst. Case in point. Royal seems to go out of their way to put nuts on EVERYTHING dessert related, and some other things that are not called for. Carnival does not - it always seemed like an add on item. Most desserts were nut free. Additionally, the matradee we had and head waiter we had were impeccable at coming over from day one and allowing me to order the following nights meals ahead of time and they would be prepared special / nut free. Other lines like Princess / Disney were standard when sailed on. With the growing amount of people having food allergies (celiac, nuts) they are really taking care of the customers. Please share your NCL experience if you decide to go, we are not sailing this year but would be anxious to know.

My wife has allergy to ground nuts, peanuts, lobster, crab and soya protein inven non dairy items to name a few.

We've been on many NCL with out a problem.

A person with allergys know how to eat and what to look for.

Important to do;

1 insurance such as insure my trip, don't leave home with out it. you can not believe the cost of medial care and getting home if the ship leaves you at a port.

2 email the ship 1 week prior and explan your concerns.

3 Be a tester and test taste for the flavor of an allergy item. if in doubt don't eat it.

Archived