Non-tourist-y places to shop and eat?

KitchenKitten

We'll be in Nassau 7am to 2pm the day we're there ( Sunday, December 1). We don't plan on doing any excursions or tours. We want breakfast/brunch and shopping, particularly jewelry. DH and I are interested in upgrading his wedding band because he has lost weight and his ring is Tungsten, which you can't resize. I might want a new band

I know about the shops the cruise lines promote, but what about those that aren't?

Also breakfast at a spot that serves local faire for breakfast--not the hotel continental/American style. We can eat that at home. We do plan on getting up and being off the ship by around 8am or so. I googled places but all I found was a place called "Cricket Club" which is British/local faire. Their site doesn't seem to have much info on their menu offerings other than British breakfast, which I pretty much know what that includes, and would be fine with me, but my DH might not like it.

We'll be in Nassau 7am to 2pm the day we're there ( Sunday, December 1). We don't plan on doing any excursions or tours. We want breakfast/brunch and shopping, particularly jewelry. DH and I are interested in upgrading his wedding band because he has lost weight and his ring is Tungsten, which you can't resize. I might want a new band

I know about the shops the cruise lines promote, but what about those that aren't?

Also breakfast at a spot that serves local faire for breakfast--not the hotel continental/American style. We can eat that at home. We do plan on getting up and being off the ship by around 8am or so. I googled places but all I found was a place called "Cricket Club" which is British/local faire. Their site doesn't seem to have much info on their menu offerings other than British breakfast, which I pretty much know what that includes, and would be fine with me, but my DH might not like it.

With the exception of Hard Rock, Starbucks and Senor Frogs, there are 100's of non-touristy cafes, restaurants and eateries within walking distance.

For authentic bahamian breakfast, Cafe Skans on Bay Street will do. (Similar to a Diner)

My favorite is Corned Beef and Grits.. with a poached egg on top.. yum.

Other bahamian favorites are Chicken souse and Tuna and grits.

if you want something sweet and flavorful. Try the Guava pancakes or coconut french toast from Olives in the international Plaza.

Can't help with jewelry stores.. I shop in the states for anything of value.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were in Nassau last year, hubby bought me a beautiful diamond band at International Diamonds on Bay St. They had an excellent selection, at a very nice variety of price points. I told them what I liked, and they produced several options - high medium and low.... Be sure to ask about the pricing, as just like most US chains, the price is negotiable. We ended up paying a few hundred less than the offered mark down. I liked that they have state side locations, just in case I should ever need to contact them.

With the exception of Hard Rock, Starbucks and Senor Frogs, there are 100's of non-touristy cafes, restaurants and eateries within walking distance.

For authentic bahamian breakfast, Cafe Skans on Bay Street will do. (Similar to a Diner)

My favorite is Corned Beef and Grits.. with a poached egg on top.. yum.

Other bahamian favorites are Chicken souse and Tuna and grits.

if you want something sweet and flavorful. Try the Guava pancakes or coconut french toast from Olives in the international Plaza.

Can't help with jewelry stores.. I shop in the states for anything of value.

All of those sound very tasty. Good thing the Oasis is so big, I'll have to lap around the ship to burn off calories. I will probably find that Cafe Skans. That corned beef with the poached egg and grits sounds divine!

When we were in Nassau last year, hubby bought me a beautiful diamond band at International Diamonds on Bay St. They had an excellent selection, at a very nice variety of price points. I told them what I liked, and they produced several options - high medium and low.... Be sure to ask about the pricing, as just like most US chains, the price is negotiable. We ended up paying a few hundred less than the offered mark down. I liked that they have state side locations, just in case I should ever need to contact them.

International Diamonds is not the 'Diamonds International' that pay the cruise lines to promote, right?

We'll check them out. DH is pretty well versed on jewelry and prices, as well as carries his own 30x loop. We thought this would be a fun time to upgrade his ring and make it special. If we find a band I like, we'll splurge on that too.

We'll be in Nassau on the 13th of April (2013) for the first time since about 1970 -- yes, it was British then. And there was no International Plaza that I'm aware of. The French Toast sounds wonderful, but can somebody tell me WHERE the International Plaza is? I tried searching on Olives, and found only a restaurant that serves Lunch and Dinner. Either I missed something -- or I'm looking at the wrong restaurant.

My mouth is watering for that French Toast! Please, someone, help me find it! :confused:

We'll be in Nassau on the 13th of April (2013) for the first time since about 1970 -- yes, it was British then. And there was no International Plaza that I'm aware of. The French Toast sounds wonderful, but can somebody tell me WHERE the International Plaza is? I tried searching on Olives, and found only a restaurant that serves Lunch and Dinner. Either I missed something -- or I'm looking at the wrong restaurant.

My mouth is watering for that French Toast! Please, someone, help me find it! :confused:

International plaza is easy to located from the ship.

Just walk out the gate and go up 1 block to Bay Street- make a right at the big scotia bank on the corner and walk 3/4 block on the right side of the block. You'll see the sign for Olives on the sidewalk, and the International Plaza Sign as well. Make a right into the plaza. The cafe is about 5-6 stores down. International plaza runs between Bay Street and the wharf, but is easier to find from Bay Street.

http://www.bahamaslocal.com/showlisting/14794/Olives_Mediterranean_Cafe_and_Bar.html#largemap

Archived