Texting at sea

SJ531

Hi all! I was under the impression that I couldn't send a text message while at sea using a international plan. I was told by my phone company that some ships charge you for using their tower, even if you have a international plan. However my mom just told me to check with the line, as on her last cruise she didn't incur any additional charges other than her updated international plan. We are leaving our daughter for the first time and I would love to check in on the sea days too! I appreciate any help! :)

from the Celebrity Webiste

Will I have cell phone service while on my cruise?While you're on the cruise you can use your cell phone to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, access email and surf the web. To stay connected while at sea, remember to pack your phone charger. Cellular service is available once the ship enters international waters. When you're at sea and the system is on, depending on the type of phone you have, you will see "NOR18," "901-18" or "cellularatsea" on your mobile display. You will be billed at international roaming rates, and charges will show on your monthly cellular bill from your home carrier.

For questions about your service, rates or billing, please contact your home carrier.

Note: Wireless Maritime Service provides the cellular service onboard all Celebrity ships except for Celebrity Eclipse®, Celebrity Silhouette® and Celebrity Reflection® which is provided by OnWaves.

Is that with an international plan or without it? Anywhere in the world?

Thanks!

That's when you are using the ship's signal not on land in ports. The ship has to turn off it's signal when it gets close to port. No international plan needed to use ship signal.

• 2 weeks later...
That's when you are using the ship's signal not on land in ports. The ship has to turn off it's signal when it gets close to port. No international plan needed to use ship signal.

So let me get this straight - you are saying my US Celluar smartphone will work onboard in Europe while sailing for calls, texts and internet with no international plan or SIM card? Or is this just for Caribbean cruises?

So let me get this straight - you are saying my US Celluar smartphone will work onboard in Europe while sailing for calls, texts and internet with no international plan or SIM card? Or is this just for Caribbean cruises?

i think a lot depends on the phone and carrier - for example my iphone 4 would not work in Europe due to Verizon not supporting the I-4 for international calls - i had to get a loaner.

also - even if it works, beware of data charges that can amount to hundreds or even thousands of dollars that you will have to pay. be sure and check with your carrier on the best way to proceed.

Archived