Deep Sea Fishing Recently??

scsagh

Can't tell from your post whether/when you're going to be in Cozumel but figured I'd check with you: don't know if you're interested or not, but have a 30' boat chartered on Wed., March 27th for some sport fishing. My partner hurt his back and now cannot go. He may be willing to take less than his share of the charter if you go in his place.

According to the calendar, in March there are sailfish, barracuda, and sometimes white marlin, wahoo, and dorado.

My son and I went last year (2012). We went through the RCI excursion and had 5 total on the boat. 4 adult guys and my son. You go out right at the dock and it is a full 4 hours of time on the boat. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the other side (they don't fish right in Cozumel, but across the channel). You take turns every 10 minutes being in the captains seat and really didn't get hits until about 1 hour into it. The boat ended up catching 3 Mahi-Mahi's each around 30 lbs. Unfortunately it was never me or my son in the chair (he was really disappointed). One of the guys from the other group got sick 15 minutes into the trip and basically "chummed" the water for the next 4 hours.

We paid around $400 for the both of us and next time I would just charter the boat by myslef ($600) was the going price. That way, me and my son would be the ones catching the fish.

The guides were really good about teaching you about what fish and different stories, but again, would rather rent the boat next time by myself.

We will be in Coz in November and DH wants to go fishing instead of joining us at the beach. He was intending to book thru Carnival so he didnt have to worry about missing the ship if anything happened while fishing, such as the boat breaking down or something.

But I've not read very good reviews. Many of them are as Oracer stated; that you get very limited time in the chair and spend a majority of the time standing around waiting for your turn. My husband is an avid fisherman and I know he'll be extremely disappointed if he has to just sit in the boat and cannot fish a majority of the time.

Has anyone chartered a private fishing excursion and can give some advise on reputable charters?

Hi Fellow 3/25 Equinox cruisers! :D Still looking for someone who wants to share a sport fishing charter in Cozumel. According to the report I got yesterday from the charter, they've been catching mahi mahi, barracuda, and wahoo. There is also the possibility of sailfish and marlin.

Cost is reasonable as our fellow cruiser who was sharing the charter has hurt his back, and his contribution of his deposit will lower your cost. :cool:

The boat is a 30' sport fisherman with a flying bridge.

My son and I went last year (2012). We went through the RCI excursion and had 5 total on the boat. 4 adult guys and my son. You go out right at the dock and it is a full 4 hours of time on the boat. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the other side (they don't fish right in Cozumel, but across the channel). You take turns every 10 minutes being in the captains seat and really didn't get hits until about 1 hour into it. The boat ended up catching 3 Mahi-Mahi's each around 30 lbs. Unfortunately it was never me or my son in the chair (he was really disappointed). One of the guys from the other group got sick 15 minutes into the trip and basically "chummed" the water for the next 4 hours.

We paid around $400 for the both of us and next time I would just charter the boat by myslef ($600) was the going price. That way, me and my son would be the ones catching the fish.

The guides were really good about teaching you about what fish and different stories, but again, would rather rent the boat next time by myself.

I can't tell: are you going to be on the Equinox? If so, it'd only be two of us, for 5 hours, and only $150 for you. :)

Thanks for the offer Cancunlee. We are in Cozumel on the 28th. We have also chartered a boat. Good luck fishing. Hope you find someone to take your partners place.

Ok, thanks. Come a day earlier. ;) Maybe I'll leave some fish for you . . . . :D

I can't tell: are you going to be on the Equinox? If so, it'd only be two of us, for 5 hours, and only $150 for you. :)

Oops, never mind. I feel dumb. I was thinking this was the roll call for my cruise so you were on the same cruise. :confused: You were stuck with 5; as of now I'm by myself. Come on down . . . . ;)

Archived