does anyone know why Carnival serves canned pop?

I found it odd that everywhere on the ship served pop out of cans, no fountain pop was available at all. I didn't know if it was the weight of the CO2 tanks, the time and effort it takes to maintain the CO2 tanks, whatever. I just think it'd be a pain to mess with all of the discarded cans.

I found it odd that everywhere on the ship served pop out of cans, no fountain pop was available at all. I didn't know if it was the weight of the CO2 tanks, the time and effort it takes to maintain the CO2 tanks, whatever. I just think it'd be a pain to mess with all of the discarded cans.

They probably get a great deal on the cans, plus they get money on recycling.

I think with fountain pop it's like literally PENNIES per serving. :confused:

does anyone know, regarding the cruiselines that provide complimentary soft drinks, if they serve fountain soda? this could be why Carnival charges for theirs. :confused:

I think with fountain pop it's like literally PENNIES per serving. :confused:

does anyone know, regarding the cruiselines that provide complimentary soft drinks, if they serve fountain soda? this could be why Carnival charges for theirs. :confused:

I don't have a clue as to why, but I know that when the fountain drink stations decide not to work, it's a pain. My husband works in a restaurant and one of his has been not working correctly for 2+ weeks. The Pepsi people say it's a restaurant problem, the maintenance guy for the restaurant says it's a Pepsi problem. Bad thing is that when this particular type goes out, it also takes the ice machine out. So it could be a maintenance issue.

NCL and Celebrity charge for their sodas also, but I don't know if it's canned or not on the other lines. I prefer the canned soda anyway, as the soda fountains can be diluted, flat or filled with the wrong flavor.

On CCL I ordered a club soda (12 oz can) with 2 glasses with ice and lemon and paid $1.50 (plus tip). Anywhere at home, it would be more than that for a small glass in a bar or restaurant. I was happy with the bargain on board ship.

My guess is it may be cheaper to serve the cans due to the fact that they must used filtered water for a fountain machine and it would be a challenge to carry all that extra water for all the soda consumed during a cruise? They must have a good deal w/ Coke I would think.

According to this link http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/food_facts_virtual.aspx

Carnival uses 430,960 cans of soft drinks per week fleetwide and 496,430 gallons of soda from the bar fountain.

I sat at many-a-bar on the Valor, watching drinks be made, and they always opened the sodas from a can to mix the drinks with. I wonder if it's something that is being eliminated on the newer ships?

thanks for the info, guys!

I'm guessing that there was a problem with the fountain beverage system. No matter the volume you purchase there is a huge cost difference between fountain and canned "pop" ( I love that word, it's such a regional thing...)

Every ship I've been on had both. I've never seen canned soda used as a mixer when fountain was available.

I think it's just a "Carnival" thing that they use canned. All the Princess ships use fountain soda only for the soda card and canned if you buy them one at a time. I suspect that it all comes down to cost but why Carnival gets it cheaper one way and Princess gets it cheaper the other is beyond me.

I thought with the fountain fun card, fountain soda was all you got.:confused:

Wait a minute--- for a soda card you get a can of soda??? I thought it was a cup of fountain soda after all these years. Used a soda card once..never again it was more of a pain then anything. Now if you get a can of soda maybe i should rethink this.

on my destiny cruise and triumph cruise it was always fountain, now on the miracle it was cans. We used the fountain card and many times they did give us the can as well as hte glass with ice, especially at dinner...so who knows...the rules are always inconsistent.

Our son did a science fair project a couple of years ago along a similar line. The salt in the sea air can compromise the integrity of the CO2 canisters. CO2 is also explosive. Maybe that's why they use the cans. Now the boy only got a "C" so I'm not willing to swear to any of this. Just a thought.:)

Wait a minute--- for a soda card you get a can of soda??? I thought it was a cup of fountain soda after all these years. Used a soda card once..never again it was more of a pain then anything. Now if you get a can of soda maybe i should rethink this.

though the bartenders never gave up the WHOLE can, LOL, I can tell you about 3/4 of a can goes into the glasses they were giving me. though I did have my handy-dandy insulated cup (thank you, all the CC'ers who suggested it. It made my drinks taken up on deck, in the sun, last longer than 10 minutes), so I'd get one, take it away from the bar, in plain sight, pour it in my cup, go back and order another to fill my insulated cup.

mama- did they fill up your own cup or did you have to buy the ones from them? Ya know if they will fill up our own cup---- maybe just maybe this soda card will work for us.

mama- did they fill up your own cup or did you have to buy the ones from them? Ya know if they will fill up our own cup---- maybe just maybe this soda card will work for us.

I got one soda with my card, walked to the table next to the bar, poured it in. went back to the bar, asked for another soda and filled my own cup (with the canned soda).

Someone has already hinted to this, but fountain drinks require ship water. Whether in port or on ship, only bottled water hits our lips. I know the ship water is very safe. We just prefer to not "shock" our systems with something different. Bring on the cans of Coke!

When we were in Jamaica, on the Conquest, there was a firehose hooked to a pipe labeled "Potable Water Only." Carnival must have been bringing fresh water to Jamaica. ;)

Our experience on the Legend was that it all depended on which bar you were at as to whether you got fountain or a can. And alot of times, it was never the same way twice. Usually when it was a can though, you got most of the can in the glasses they gave you. Go figure...:confused:

Archived