Another Silver Moon Recommendation

TexasMom2

Just returned from our June 5-12 AOS sailing and wanted to post a quick review of the Silver Moon. This tour is everything I'd read about and more.

We (myself, DH & DS who is 14) met the bus at Gate 2 and it only took 5 minutes to get to the Silver Moon. We boarded, met the crew and the other passengers and off we went. We had overcast and rainy weather most of the week and there was localized rain in Barbados the day we were there (June 10). The first stop was to be the turtle site but that was exactly where the rain was, so we sailed around a little bit to see if the rain would move. It didn't, so we sailed to the two shipwrecks. They were only about 40 yards apart, so it was easy getting from one to the other. We had a blast, took lots of pictures, then got back on the boat.

The rain had moved farther offshore so we sailed to the turtle site. The drinks were flowing and we got to know the crew and a couple from Florida during the sail. The other 6 people were Italian and didn't speak English.

We tied off at the turtle site and you could see them swimming up to the boat, ready for lunch! We got in the water (no flippers) and floated while the turtles were fed. They swim by close enough to touch and we got some fantastic pictures. This experience is hard to explain -- the turtles are so gentle and graceful, it feels like something out of a nature documentary. You just have to experience it for yourself.

A few things to remember - you can touch the turtles, but don't grab their flippers or shells thinking you can hang on for a ride. The crew will stop you dead in your tracks. These animals are to be protected, and there is talk of banning the feeding (and tours) because they are getting too domesticized. You can't wear your flippers with the turtles, but I still saw lots of people flailing their legs around, even with a life jacket on. Put your face in the water and keep your legs as still as possible. If you are going to move your legs, definitely put your face in the water so you can see what you might be kicking. I think you will have more close encounters if you are still and not constantly kicking or paddling.

Because of the rain and reordering of our itinerary, we had lunch after the turtles. It was fantastic -- hot, delicious, and served with a smile. Then we sailed back to the pier with pina coladas (yummy!) and dessert.

I guess you can tell that I loved this tour. The captain timed it to where we were the only boat with the turtles for awhile, then the Silver Moon II came up just as we were finishing. Be sure to tip these guys, they deserve it.

We visited Trunk Bay on St. John, Orient Beach on St. Maarten, Pineapple Beach on Antigua and the Pitons on St. Lucia. The Silver Moon was the best excursion we have EVER been on and well worth the $95. Will post pictures soon.

It wwwwwwwwwwwwwwas well worth it "right"? ;)

Would love to hear more about Orient Beach on St. Maarten, Pineapple Beach on Antigua as there Jan 06. Know about Orient but looking into Aruba and Antigua.

Thanks In Advance... :D

Rotti, it was well worth the $95 x 3, which I was fretting about beforehand. Now we are looking for a week at Barbados next summer and hope to book this tour again and see some of the island. I have no doubt that you will love it, too.

We did the Afternoon Beach Bash at Orient Beach through the ship (AOS), didn't feel like it was worth the $36 for two hours and drinks. The beach is pretty but the surf is very rough, and the cups the drinks come in are only about 8 oz. so you have to keep getting up to go back. I would do this on my own next time, or go to Dawn Beach or Divi Resort.

Pineapple Beach Resort was wonderful. It is a 30 minute taxi ride ($25 each way), but you get away from the hustle and bustle of St. Johns. The drinks and food are great, and you can be as active or inactive as you want to be. We made use of the kayaks, snorkel equipment and loungers in the shade of the palm trees. Our taxi driver showed up exactly on time to take us back to the ship.

Archived