Questions Prior to Booking - Miracle 10-16-05

We've arrived at a decision to book on the Miracle for their October 16th cruise but would greatly appreciate some help before we "close the deal!"

We will be traveling as 2 adults and our ten year old daughter. We will be booking a balcony room and here are my questions.

• Should we book using the guaranteed balcony category or take the current offer of selecting a specific category and receiving a two class upgrade? (I'd really like to understand the pro's and con's of this so a detailed explanation would be appreciated.)
  • Is there much of a difference in the expanded balcony and the regular balcony? (Considering there will often be three people on it.)
  • Can I smoke cigars on our balcony? Even If permitted by Carnival will that be offensive to surrounding balconies or will the sea breeze dissipate the smoke?
  • What deck level should we book?
  • Is there a preferred side of the ship?
  • If we take the two class balcony upgrade, is there any chance we might even be upgraded from there?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Can I smoke cigars on our balcony? Even If permitted by Carnival will that be offensive to surrounding balconies or will the sea breeze dissipate the smoke?

You can, but it's really kind of annoying (at least is was to us). We were on the Verandah Aft balcony and there was a guy who kept smoking cigars on his balcony 2 decks below. The smoke was gross. We called him "big stinky." I don't know if he was smoking cheapies or what, but they were nasty, and cigar smoke usually doesn't bother me. There's a nice cigar-friendly bar on the Miracle, if you're into that.

Hope that helps!

You are going to get various opinions on this. I'm sure others will post with their point of view.

Booking guarantee - Personally, I'd prefer to book a specific cabin. I've booked a guarantee twice - no upgrade the first time, second time we were upgraded from a 1A to a 4C. I would have preferred to have kept the location of a 1A instead of the 4C cabin we got. I've booked specific cabins the other two times. I'd rather be mid-ship and lower level but not in a cabin in which I may have noise from the disco.

I believe there is a "smoking" side to the vessel. Not being a smoker, I'm not sure which side that is.

I prefer starboard. Most of the time we docked on that side of the ship.

If you do intend to smoke a cigar on the balcony get a side balcony the air flow is much better - the aft balconies do not get much breeze.

We always travel with our daughter (now 10 yrs) and a regular balcony room has been fine. She does love the pull-down (upper berth) better than the sofa beds though. I don't like taking chances with a balcony guarantee, I usually pick a cabin empress or upper deck midship. That way you get the balcony but don't pay the prices of the upper decks. With a guarantee you could be anywhere in that category - across from an elevator, above a disco etc. Good luck and enjoy!!! BTW - all the Carnival ships we've been on have a cigar bar (DH smokes cigars), usually it's the jazz bar.

[*]Should we book using the guaranteed balcony category or take the current offer of selecting a specific category and receiving a two class upgrade? (I'd really like to understand the pro's and con's of this so a detailed explanation would be appreciated.)

booking a guarantee places you at the bottom of the deck first-- if availability warrants then you get an upgrade.. With being placed anywhere at all within the balcony cabins. If yopu do not care where a cabin is located then take a chance. Personnaly-- I would take the two category upgrade and book a set cabin. An extended balcony is larger then the regular balconies. On some extended balconies you can get a lounge chair out there.

[*]Can I smoke cigars on our balcony? Even If permitted by Carnival will that be offensive to surrounding balconies or will the sea breeze dissipate the smoke?

All cabins on Carnival are smoking. There are no non smoking cabins on these ships. You can smoke your cigar on your balcony but just like the real world--please be kind. There will be a cigar bar.. and you can smoke on the smoking side of the ship. (deck 3 is awesome and hardly anyone was ever out there)

[*]What deck level should we book?

I like my deck between two decks of cabins. That way I cant complain of public spaces.

[*]If we take the two class balcony upgrade, is there any chance we might even be upgraded from there?

no, if you take the 2 cat upgrde more then likly you will have to pick a set cabin. Chances go down of being upgraded if you have a set cabin-- although it is done.

[*]Is there a preferred side of the ship?

I [prefer being on the aft...so I can see the world slip on by me

We've arrived at a decision to book on the Miracle for their October 16th cruise but would greatly appreciate some help before we "close the deal!"

We will be traveling as 2 adults and our ten year old daughter. We will be booking a balcony room and here are my questions.

• Should we book using the guaranteed balcony category or take the current offer of selecting a specific category and receiving a two class upgrade? (I'd really like to understand the pro's and con's of this so a detailed explanation would be appreciated.)
  • Is there much of a difference in the expanded balcony and the regular balcony? (Considering there will often be three people on it.)
  • What deck level should we book?
  • Is there a preferred side of the ship?
  • If we take the two class balcony upgrade, is there any chance we might even be upgraded from there?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'd book the 2 category upgrade. That way you can pick your room. If you book a guarantee you could end up on the Main Deck. This means you could get a balcony obstructed by lifeboats, or above the piano bar. The Upper Deck wouldn't be bad because there are no public areas beneath you. However, the lifeboats are below some of the balconies. So, it technically wouldn't be an obstructed view, but when you look down, you would see lifeboats, not the ocean. I wouldn't choose the Panorama Deck either. You'd be right below the pools....I've heard that can be noisy. If it were me, I'd choose something on Empress or Verandah. If you can get it, I'd get either 6232 or 6273. They are quads (and there's only three of you) so you might not be able to get them, but the balconies are quite a bit longer. If you decide to go with the upgrade, look at the deck plans carefully when picking your cabin!

Three on a standard balcony might be a little cramped. You could all sit out there, no problem, but not much other than that.

Yes - you may smoke cigars on your balcony. I think the breeze will dissipate some of the smoke. But, sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, there will be complainers! There has always been a cigar bar on the ships I've been on.....I don't think Miracle will be any different. You may also smoke your cigar on the open decks on one side of the ship.

A preferred side of the ship? Well....I think most people like to be port side. That used to mean that you would be facing port when docked. But that's not necessarily true anymore. From the reviews I've been reading on Miracle, I think you'll be facing port at some ports and not the others.

If you take the 2 category upgrade, it's still possible for another upgrade...but not likely. But if you pick your cabin, you'll still be happy....right??

I tried to be as detailed as possible!!! Hope that helps and have a great cruise!!!

There has always been a cigar bar on the ships I've been on.....I don't think Miracle will be any different. You may also smoke your cigar on the open decks on one side of the ship.

Yep, Miracle has one. It's the Gotham Lounge, and it's right near the main dining room. They had a jazz combo (piano & bass) performing there (I think nightly). It seemed very nice.

If you do intend to smoke a cigar on the balcony get a side balcony the air flow is much better - the aft balconies do not get much breeze.

We always travel with our daughter (now 10 yrs) and a regular balcony room has been fine. She does love the pull-down (upper berth) better than the sofa beds though. I don't like taking chances with a balcony guarantee, I usually pick a cabin empress or upper deck midship. That way you get the balcony but don't pay the prices of the upper decks. With a guarantee you could be anywhere in that category - across from an elevator, above a disco etc. Good luck and enjoy!!! BTW - all the Carnival ships we've been on have a cigar bar (DH smokes cigars), usually it's the jazz bar.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. How do I determine which rooms have pull-downs? Sounds like you would also have the advantage of having more space when the bed is up!

Thanks again! Mike

You must be a clairvoyant!

Nope, but if you notice my avatar...it might give you a clue. In fact, as I type this, I'm listening to the Cardinals/Blue Jays online...MLB.com and KMOX - brings back such awesome memories with my grandpa. In fact, we'll be at the game on the 23rd as we're coming back to the IL/MO area to visit family.

Nope, but if you notice my avatar...it might give you a clue. In fact, as I type this, I'm listening to the Cardinals/Blue Jays online...MLB.com and KMOX - brings back such awesome memories with my grandpa. In fact, we'll be at the game on the 23rd as we're coming back to the IL/MO area to visit family.

I noticed, I was trying to be clever. Heck I had to use spell check to get clairvoyant right! Small world, we will also be at the game on the 23rd. (Our first game of the year.) Section 333 - Row 1 - Seats 14 & 15. Come by and say hi!

Mike

I noticed, I was trying to be clever. Heck I had to use spell check to get clairvoyant right! Small world, we will also be at the game on the 23rd. (Our first game of the year.) Section 333 - Row 1 - Seats 14 & 15. Come by and say hi!

Mike

We'll be in Section 280 - Row 16 - Seats 3 & 4. We'll probably be there early. DH's uncle has season tics and we always go early when we are in town to see him. Also will probably do Union Station & all. Since we only get into St. Louis once a year or so, we try to enjoy it.

Mona- to clear up a misconception- Booking a balcony guarantee does not put you in a 7A or a 5a. Carnival recognizes that balconies are category 8 or above. If getting a 7A which is obstructed they in turn gave you a downgrade.

Nor does booking an oceanview which is a 6a or above should you get a obstructed 5A.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. How do I determine which rooms have pull-downs? Sounds like you would also have the advantage of having more space when the bed is up!Thanks again! Mike

go to carnivals web page and click on funships- click on your ship of choice. click on deck plans. Up on the top right hand corner is a legend that tells you what each cabin has..

Archived