Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter booked through CCL. Can I upgrade to SWIM?

BeautifulPlumage

If I book the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter through the cruise line, can I upgrade to the swim once I am there? Or do I need to book the whole thing independently to be able to do the swim? If upgrading is an option, is there a limit on how many people can upgrade? Is there a risk of not being able to upgrade because it's already sold out?

I'm a little nervous about booking independently, even though I know it will save money. I like the security of knowing that if our ship has an itinerary change, I'm covered, and also that if our excursion is late to return, the ship will wait for us.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

If I book the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter through the cruise line, can I upgrade to the swim once I am there? Or do I need to book the whole thing independently to be able to do the swim? If upgrading is an option, is there a limit on how many people can upgrade? Is there a risk of not being able to upgrade because it's already sold out?

I'm a little nervous about booking independently, even though I know it will save money. I like the security of knowing that if our ship has an itinerary change, I'm covered, and also that if our excursion is late to return, the ship will wait for us.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Both the encounter and the swim have limited time slots.. they book up months in advance. Occasionally there is a cancellation, but I wouldn't count on it.. especially if you need more that 1 or 2 slots.

I would talk to the Tour operator and see what they have to say (www.dolphinencounters.com).

Both the encounter and the swim have limited time slots.. they book up months in advance. Occasionally there is a cancellation, but I wouldn't count on it.. especially if you need more that 1 or 2 slots.

I would talk to the Tour operator and see what they have to say (www.dolphinencounters.com).

Thank you! I will do that right now.

We were just there last Tuesday 3/19 for the encounter (booked it ourselves) and they were trying to sell a few swim passes they had. Call me a skeptic, but it seemed likely they do that each time...once you're there and see how great the place is, sure, why not? And do the upgrade. Just my 2 cents though....

I think they do book up, but Scubagirrl would likely know best. They have a maximum number in each swim group and would think they have a maximum number of groups as well since there are a certain number of areas for this. On our day, there were 4 swim groups at 8:30, and they all seemed full. The swim was incredible! The dolphin push was so much fun. Would definitely recommend it! I would have been very sad if I had gotten there and it was booked up. That being said, I tend to book ahead for the things I really want to do so there is no risk of missing out.

Thanks so much for all your insights!

I have the Carnival excursion booked as a backup, but I've contacted BL directly to try to book the full swim package for two teens with myself as an observer. If that doesn't work out, we'll just do the encounter and maybe be able to upgrade once we get there.

I really hope the kids get to do the dolphin push. That would be awesome. I'm hoping it will work out since we're still more than two months out.

• 3 months later...
Thanks so much for all your insights!

I have the Carnival excursion booked as a backup, but I've contacted BL directly to try to book the full swim package for two teens with myself as an observer. If that doesn't work out, we'll just do the encounter and maybe be able to upgrade once we get there.

I really hope the kids get to do the dolphin push. That would be awesome. I'm hoping it will work out since we're still more than two months out.

I'm curious to know your outcome on whether you were able to upgrade and do the dolphin swim. My family of 5 can not all get reservations for the dolphin swim but we could the encounter. They would prefer the swim but don't want to miss out on the dolphins all together. Hope you had a great time!

Was the Dolphin Swim originally an option to book through Carnival as well and not just the Encounter? On our Oasis cruise, the Swim option disappeared from the options several months ago. I called up Royal Caribbean and they said it was sold out. So I contacted Blue Lagoon directly and was informed that all Dolphin Swim and Encounters needed to be booked through RCI directly, as they gave all the spots to the cruiseline. I'm wondering if Carnival is the same.

I wasn't aware that I could buy a Dolphin Encounter and then when I get to the lagoon that they would allow an upgrade. I would imagine that if it's all booked, they're not going to give this option.

I know that everyone who does this excursion says that it's incredible. But is it $180-200 incredible? Yes, there's the dolphin push and you get to hug the dolphin. But how much interaction really do you personally get? Seems like every participant gets maybe 10-15 minutes of actual one on one time with the dolphin. Is this a correct assessment? To spend $400 for a quick experience - and yes, I understand it's one that you might not readily get a chance to do elsewhere - seems like a lot of money.

In general, these programs, especially the Swim, book up months in advance. During some off season dates, there may be a few openings or cancellations.

I wouldn't expect several openings on the same date and time.

I especially wouldn't think that there would be 5 available.

There would be no way of telling this far in advance whether there are opening next November.

I know that everyone who does this excursion says that it's incredible. But is it $180-200 incredible? Yes, there's the dolphin push and you get to hug the dolphin. But how much interaction really do you personally get? Seems like every participant gets maybe 10-15 minutes of actual one on one time with the dolphin. Is this a correct assessment? To spend $400 for a quick experience - and yes, I understand it's one that you might not readily get a chance to do elsewhere - seems like a lot of money.

I completely agree with you, this is always something I've wanted to do, but I just can't seem to get myself to spend that much money for 15 minutes...

I completely agree with you, this is always something I've wanted to do, but I just can't seem to get myself to spend that much money for 15 minutes...

Yup, I think it'd be a fun experience. But it's not worth $400 for the two of us. I just cancelled our excursion. We'll look for other things to do on Nassau that will be more economical and give us more bang for the buck.

My BIL thought it was too expensive too. I told him it was worth every single penny and once it was over he will definitely feel it was. When the Swim was over and I asked him what he thought about it, all he kept saying was WOW and Oh My God.

Archived