Cozumel in August - Best shore excursions??

august_cruiser

Hi,

We are going on the Inspiration in August and don't really dive or snorkel - so we, are wondering what is the best way to enjoy the few hours we have there? Which is the best beach to go to, other things to see and do. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... Our group includes dad, mom & teen.

Oh yea, we are first time cruisers too!

Thanks!;)

I always recommend that because of the beautiful gardens, how close it is to the cruiseship pier, nice restaurants for views. it's worth a look around and lunch if you don't mind the $12 admission. I also recommend renting a car if you have enough time. Or you can sign up for a private tour with a driver. There are several people on the island who do that and you can find them through an internet search.

I thought that Chankanaab nice, there is lots to do there. However, it might not be the best choice for someone who isn't interested in snorkeling. Chankannab is good for snorkeling as it has a rocky shore line. I am thinking that you expect a beach to have sand that slopes out into the water. You would probably be happier at one of the beach clubs. There are many to choose from. Paradise Beach is a favorite here on Cruisecritic.

You will benefit greatly from reading some of the information on Carey's website, http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com and from http://www.cozumelinsider.com

I also recommend the map from http://www.cancunmap.com Be sure to get the one for Cozumel ;)

You're right, Bruce, I forgot about the rocky entrance which wouldn't be the best for people that just wanted to pop in and swim. However, there is what I call a Children's Lagoon close to the entrance and near the sea lion show which has a sand beach entrance to a quiet little lagoon where you can swim out into deeper water if you wish or just stay put.

I just think the view is sort of gorgeous and unique there. True, its an artifical beach whereas Paradise Beach, for example, is NOT. Meaning at Chankannab, they trucked in a 500 million tons of sand or something to fill in a section between the beautiful little blue lagoon and the rocky oceanfront. So no sloping sand beach except as mentioned above. But you're perched out above this gorgeous acqua water with thatched roof palapas as far as the eye can see. It's just very Mexican Riviera and, I think, quite exquisite.

My one complaint with this national park is the lounge chairs. They are molded plastic in the shape of a loose "S" and sit close to the sand. So if you have knee problems, as I do, it is somewhat difficult to get in and out of them gracefully. Also they tip back more than I would like. Perfect for sleeping in the sun and baking yourself. But I am more into people-watching and so I have to make a big mound of sand behind my chair to prop it up so it doesn't rock back.

You are both right, I am thinking of a wading in and not getting a rock stuck between my toes! However, I would like to rent some snorkel gear and give it a try right there at the beach. We will have our 13 yr old son, so I would like lots of activities to keep him busy too. What are the beach club options. I would like some where that has it all - showers, bar, activites & Relaxation!!!!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Two Words... NACHI COCOM!

We were in Cozumel 4 days ago; Saturday, 6/11, on the Carnival Ecstasy.

We read on the boards about NACHI COCOM and we were completely thrilled with our day (thank you to those that suggested)! With 5 days on a boat and only 1 excursion we wanted to LAY ON A BEAUTIFUL BEACH and get spoiled. It is at the south tip of the island, and I think the newest beach resort (3 yrs.).

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net

All drinks and buffet are included... Just as I had read on the boards, we were greeted and treated like kings & queens. We had chaise loungers under private palapa and a full time waiter just waiting for us to raise our hand (or glass!). The sand is white and there were no rocks... there was lots of the white coral mixed in the water was lovely shades of blue but no fish. There is a nice tiled pool with swim-up bar and jacuzzi. It was never too crowded (go early, we went at 10:30 and were the 2nd group there; we got the best location), and there were NO beggars or sellers at all allowed.

The buffet was authentically delicious... salads, guacomole, chicken, delicious ribs, grilled veggies, rice/peas and refried beans, with flan and fruit. They have an outdoor covered restaurant with fans... They served the buffet about 1:30.

We had lots of pina coladas, miami vices, beers, etc., then I switched to margaritas on the rocks and woo-hoo they worked great!

The restrooms were clean and flushed well, though not air conditioned. There is an outside shower by the pool.

Nachi Cocom doesn't come cheap, but as far as we were concerned, being in Mexico and all, we wanted the nicest place we could find. The cost was $32 online or $42 at the door. They take a 25% deposit online with a credit card and you pay cash for the rest when you arrive. We got there early, about 10:30 and stayed until 3:00. We told our waiter we would tip at the end, and we gave him $20 (myself, hubby, 6-yr-old son). It is also a $14 cab ride each way. So for our 3 people it was about $145 total. My husband got a deep tissue massage on the beach under a palapa too; I think it was about $20.

They offer a snorkel package which is about $20; it looked quite organized with a ferry-type boat that picked up a group and lasts 1.5 hours. They also had parasailing available for $50. There is a gift shop but I never got there. I think my 6-yr old was the only small child there, but that was fine with us; we brought our own beach toys.

We stopped at Pancho's Backyard for a margarita at the pier on our way back, and I shopped a bit in their shop and a couple of others. I've been to Cozumel 6 times and if I go again on a cruise and have an excursion, you can bet I'll go right back to Nachi Cocom. I don't think August will be any hotter than mid-June in Cozumel. You don't need to book now; just keep checking the boards and see if you can get a review closer to your sail.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi !! we are on the Inspiration on 8/20 .. is that you too by any chance ??? We havent had much luck finding fellow cruisers here !!!!

Have a great trip

Laurie

Laurie - Sorry, no we are on the 8/15 sailing. I also started a post for our sailing, but haven't received any replies......:(

Archived