Pride of America's godmother announced

niya305

No disrespect, but surely we could have come up with somebody better than this.

How about someone fun like Faith Hill or Oprah.

And how is Faith Hill or Oprah better than Elaine Chao? Please explain, I fail to see how these media creations are superior to a woman of substance like Elaine Chao.

Fun thread on the Carnival board about Mira Sorvino being named a ship's godmother. Perhaps it's best to pick someone no one has heard of!

Yeah, I saw that one earlier... Funny post about Jenna Jameson:eek:

No disrespect, but surely we could have come up with somebody better than this.

How about someone fun like Faith Hill or Oprah.

Faith Hill? What has she done to even be considered for the Godmother position? Sell some records, make a movie.. whoa! Oprah, ah maybe. I think Oprah only if they're looking for more advertisement, but who needs that when you have the 1st brand new ship to sail the US flag in nearly 50 years... that is enough in it's own

How boring! I'm sure she's a nice woman, but hmmmmmmm.......... :rolleyes:

Wow, & you had the audasity to call me mean... LOL:eek: I commend NCL for wanting someone with meaning to represent the PoAM

Ms. Chao is a wonderful choice. A truly great lady. I have had the opportunity to meet her and she is truly a great American. I think NCL has done a great job with the two people selected for Godmothers of the US flagged ships. Don't go for the glitz and glamour of an overrated celeberty like Oprah or Jenna Jamison, but someone who has served this country.

Hey SMeyer: My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. Have fun!

Ms. Chao is a wonderful choice. A truly great lady. I have had the opportunity to meet her and she is truly a great American.

Wonderful choice...great lady...great American, etc. and so forth. Nonetheless,

I wonder why NCL selected a Bush political appointee whose confirmation was opposed by several environmental groups and other assorted Democrats. Cruise lines do not typically identify themselves with a political party or an ideological perspective in this way, so there may be more to it than meets the eye.

President Bush's Secretary of Labor, Elaine Chao, is as anti-labor as her boss,

She supports the interests of employers, not wage-earners. The super-conservative U.S. Chamber of Commerce praises Chao while, on the other side, AFL-CIO President John Sweeney and other labor leaders condemn Chao for failing to meet her obligations to working people.

Chao opposes an increase in the minimum wage, opposes affirmative action, and supported cancellation of Labor Department regulations to protect workers from the repetitive injuries that hurt and cripple millions annually. She also withdrew more than twenty other proposed safety regulations, slashed the budget for enforcement of all remaining regulations and other department functions aimed at helping workers. She has stated that employees of the Homeland Security Department should be denied union rights "so we can better protect Americans." She declared last June that although most workers who entered the labor force that month couldn't find jobs, their attempt to do so was "an indication of renewed confidence in the economy."

Secretary Chao is married to Senator Mitch McConnell, Senate Republican majority whip and a pillar of the party's far-right wing. For Republicans, there is nothing at all wrong with any of this -- quite the contrary. However, Elaine Chao is a highly visible representative of a political movement that is not universally endorsed and she was not described as a "great American" by Democrats during her confirmation hearings.

President Bush's Secretary of Labor, Elaine Chao, is as anti-labor as her boss,

She supports the interests of employers, not wage-earners. The super-conservative U.S. Chamber of Commerce praises Chao while, on the other side, AFL-CIO President John Sweeney and other labor leaders condemn Chao for failing to meet her obligations to working people.

Chao opposes an increase in the minimum wage, opposes affirmative action, and supported cancellation of Labor Department regulations to protect workers from the repetitive injuries that hurt and cripple millions annually. She also withdrew more than twenty other proposed safety regulations, slashed the budget for enforcement of all remaining regulations and other department functions aimed at helping workers. She has stated that employees of the Homeland Security Department should be denied union rights "so we can better protect Americans." She declared last June that although most workers who entered the labor force that month couldn't find jobs, their attempt to do so was "an indication of renewed confidence in the economy."

Secretary Chao is married to Senator Mitch McConnell, Senate Republican majority whip and a pillar of the party's far-right wing. For Republicans, there is nothing at all wrong with any of this -- quite the contrary. However, Elaine Chao is a highly visible representative of a political movement that is not universally endorsed and she was not described as a "great American" by Democrats during her confirmation hearings.

All of the above sounds like nothing more than liberal talking points from the DNC. Anyone who is chosen to be the godmother will have some sort of political philosophy or history and there will always be individuals or groups who have opposing views. The fact that some people disagree with someone's ideology should not be grounds for disqualification as a ship's godmother. The majority of actors and actresses in Hollywood are far more liberal than most voters, yet I don't read anywhere in your diatribe how that would disqualify THEM (and it shouldn't!). You will never find a godmother or spokesperson who is "universally endorsed" and described by everyone as "a great American". Ms.Chao's accomplisments far outweigh those of most celebrities that might otherwise have been chosen.

I just had to put my $.02 in here.

JoanB...I don't think your post was appropriate for these boards. You seem to be putting forth some sort of political agenda. There are many other venues for that type of discussion. These boards are for the exchange of cruising ideas and experiences. Your criticism of Elaine Chao was unkind and uncalled for....IMHO.

Yuyi64...I couldn't have said it better. You expressed my views exactly. Thank you.

Happy cruising!

Do all ships have a godmother? I first heard about them was last year on board of the Elation. There was this nice lady on board at almost all important events. I couldn't figure out who she was, so I asked one of the crew members and was told that she was the 'godmother of the ship.'

Okay, so you don't like Faith Hill or Oprah. Go ahead and come up with a dozen names, but please not another political appointee.

My suggestion was simply to make the process fun. We're talking about a cruise ship not a destroyer. Save the political types for military ships; give me an entertainer, author or respected celebrity for a cruise ship.

This isn't political science, its vacation!!

:D :D :D

Archived