hair braiding in Progresso?

kw797979

They have hair braiding in the little market place in Progresso. My sister had her entire head braided for $25. She bargained with them to get them down to that. It took a long time because my sister has very thick hair. It was over an hour with 2 women working on it.

Please remember to bring your own comb to get your hair braided or you may bring home some unwanted souvenirs! You never know who they used that comb on before. Unlike most of the US there are no health regulations on hair stylists in Mexico.

Ask them how much it will be for each braid and how many braids they will do. You shouldn't have to pay more than $1.00 per braid. When my daughter had hers braided in St. Maarten, I was naive and agreed to $2.00 per braid. What I didn't know was that I could bargain and how tiny the braids would be. She had over 40 braids.:eek: Her head was 1/2 done by the time I realized this so she had to do just as many on the other side or it would have looked funny. When she did mine, I asked for fewer braids and she did that with no problem. I had 20 something. We both just had the crown done. I should have bargained but I stink at that.

Bring your own comb, rubberbands, and beads if you are worried about lice and sanitation in general but be warned, you still don't know what's under their fingernails.

You will need to use sunblock between the braids to avoid sunburn. I discovered that a lip balm with a SPF in it is the easiest and least messy. Just run it up and down between the braids. It works great.

There will be some breakage and can be difficult to remove but the easiest way to remove them is to wet the hair and then slather on the conditioner. Start combing each braid from the bottom, working your way up until the braid is out. I did mine myself in the shower. I did my daughters for her. It was no real problem but we did have some breakage so we had some short hairs in front for awhile.

Archived