Another question about Belize cave tubing....

shie214

I know you guys are probably sick of questions about Belize cave tubing, but here it goes ... lol

I've got a quote from a reputable tour company that offers $70 per person for cave tubing and Belize Zoo.

We're really not sure if we want to do the cave tubing or not...I've looked at some youtube video, all it shows is a dark cave, and the tubes moving super slow...

If we only do the Zoo, are there any private tour company that we can hire outside of the cruise port that'll take us there for ...$30 per person? If we just take the taxi there, will we be able to find a taxi to take us back?

Decision decision...I just can't decide on what to do.:confused:

I know you guys are probably sick of questions about Belize cave tubing, but here it goes ... lol

I've got a quote from a reputable tour company that offers $70 per person for cave tubing and Belize Zoo.

We're really not sure if we want to do the cave tubing or not...I've looked at some youtube video, all it shows is a dark cave, and the tubes moving super slow...

If we only do the Zoo, are there any private tour company that we can hire outside of the cruise port that'll take us there for ...$30 per person? If we just take the taxi there, will we be able to find a taxi to take us back?

Decision decision...I just can't decide on what to do.:confused:

Yes there are several private company's and guides that you can hire on the outside. On my last visit to Belize i went with one of them, i cant quite remember the name :confused: but their email address is wtg_792@hotmail.com, they are like a taxi association and they take you basically anywhere you want to go. :cool: Last time we went to Lamanai, you should check them out maybe then you'll make up your mind on what you want to do

To clarify on cave tubing, our guide told us that during rainy season (sept-Dec), the water is higher, flows much faster, and so the trip through the caves takes only about 10 min. We just went on April 2, and it took about 30 minutes. It was a slow easy float, you wear head lamps, but it isn't super dark. I found it interesting to see the different limestone formations and to hear about the geological and cultural history surrounding these caves.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing about the cave tubing that many may not know - you have a long walk over bigger than gravel rocks. It's humid and hot. You need either sneakers you are fine with getting wet or high end water shoes with a really thick sole (not anything from walmart, that's for sure). Some companies make you carry your own tube, others don't. It would still be a long hot & humid walk even if you're not carrying a tube. And the ride there is longer than the time spent in the water.

Don't get me wrong - we enjoyed it, but DS loved the zip lining even more.

The thing about the cave tubing that many may not know - you have a long walk over bigger than gravel rocks. It's humid and hot. You need either sneakers you are fine with getting wet or high end water shoes with a really thick sole (not anything from walmart, that's for sure). Some companies make you carry your own tube, others don't. It would still be a long hot & humid walk even if you're not carrying a tube. And the ride there is longer than the time spent in the water.

Don't get me wrong - we enjoyed it, but DS loved the zip lining even more.

Ok I'm kinda getting scared now. We booked cavetubing and I was aware that we needed tennis shoes, so I'm planning for that. I was aware of the bigger than gravel rocks, planning for that. I was also planning on it being hot. But exactly "how far is this walk?" Going is myself, DH and DD13 and DD8. DH can carry DD8 tube. We are active, but not necessarily atheletic.

It is not a long strenuous hike as some say. I have done every branch of the cave system multiple times and the hikes are very easy. 30 mins, only minor changes in grade. some rocks here and there but nothing you need to climb. On a 1-10 scale, 1 being a side walk and 10 being bouldering i would rate this hike a 3-4.

as far as doing the zoo and the cave tubing...that may be pressing for time depending on how long your ship is in port. The cave brand river system is over an hours drive away from the port...so figure 2-2.5 hours just in driving. I think you would be pretty rushed through the zoo.

Did it this past February...and the walk is on a well groomed path, very easy. I guess if one is way overweight, I guess it could be difficult! Was just the two of us plus our guide from .bz. We did carry our own tubes--just sort of put my head through the middle opening--too easy! Your shoes and your butt are going to get wet!! Was a VERY relaxing excursion. I would bring a bottle of water if ur not used to the heat! Our guide was going to bring a cooler, but we didnt bother- After living in Nicaragua for the past 1.5 yrs, well used to the heat!

Archived