Type 1 diabetic and kids clubs

fuddster

We're considering going on a cruise, but haven't decided which cruise line yet. My DD is a Type 1 Diabetic and I'm concerned about the level of support I can expect from the different lines and their kids clubs.

I searched all over but couldn't find a recent review about the kids clubs on board the ships and Type 1 diabetes. Most of the posts I found revolved around food, which I feel we have a pretty good handle on.

So, does anyone have any recent experience with their diabetic child in the kids clubs? Do they mostly know what they're doing with basic understanding of hyper- and hypoglycemia and how to treat it? How long did you leave them in there? Did they have meals and snacks in there? Did you feel they were under good care? We're leaning towards a Royal Caribbean cruise, but info on other cruise lines would help too.

My DD is on a pump and can test herself. She administers her own bolus, but only after checking the dose with us first. We'd like her to spend as much time in there as she wants, but we need to be comfortable that she's under good care as well.

Thanks in advance!

Fuddster

She will be 10 and is outspoken. However she doesn't aways recognize her lows and can be shy in new situations.

In case you didn't see it, I posted on the Disabled section. Have you thought about a CGM like Dexcom G4? I wear one and it really helps identify lows and highs. The first alarm is a vibration, very private. If that isn't answered an alarm is sounded. It's a real life saver. Best of all, it's very comfortable and accurate.

Archived