Layout of family ocean view cabin on NCL?

chicaguapa

We're looking at the Jade for the Greek Islands next summer for 2 adults and a 12-year old and 9-year old, but I can't work out how the cabins are laid out.

I was looking at the OK ones but have now decided it's only another £180 for an unobstructed view. So now we are looking at the O1 Family Ocean view cabins on deck 5.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these and the Ocean view cabins? They don't seem to be any bigger but are a bit more expensive, so I wondered what else you were getting.

Also will they have 2 pullmans or 1 pullman and a sofabed? If the latter, I'm concerned about floor space. Has anyone stayed in one that can tell me how the beds are laid out? If the latter, is the Pullman above the sofa bed or the adult beds?

We were on RCCL last year and having our beds together with the kids above in their bunks worked well for us as sometimes the kids came back to the cabin during the day and had their own beds to chill out on.

I also saw that the accessible obstructive view cabins on deck 8 slept 4, but wasn't sure how the sideways cabins would be laid out and if it's not the done thing to book one, when you don't need it.

Thanks for your help.

There's no difference in size or layout of family OV compared to regular OV. Family OV just guarantees the room will sleep 4. But you can find other OV rooms that sleep 4.

The 3rd person gets a pulld-down. There isn't a sofa bed, but a trundle bed for the 4th person. At night, it is wall-to-wall beds.

It's definitely doable for a family if you don't mind that you won't have your own private space during the day. It's difficult to just "hang out" in your room together. We found that we were out of our room a lot when we had the smaller rooms (one inside + one OV to fit all of us). This last cruise, we had minisuites for 7 of us and it was completely comfortable to just hang out in - so we did. Found we spent less time wandering the ship, playing ping pong or shuffleboard, etc.

Thanks. Doesn't sound that great really! Where does the trundle bed go? During the day and at night?

NCL Oceanview cabins are quite small. The trundle bed goes between the two "real" beds, so you just have one giant 'mega bed'. And then there is a pulldown attached to the wall on one side. It doesn't even come out of the ceiling, it's mounted on the wall.

Insides are even worse, they are even smaller. You may want to consider two connecting cabins if you are going to chose insides or oceanviews. If you want just one room, maybe a balcony cabin would work better for your family.

I've looked at the other price options.

It's £1,722 for a family oceanview, and we are only paying £200 per child, compared to full price of around £650 each.

It's £2,192 for a balcony. An OV and inside is £1,278 + £1,018 so I can see it isn't that much more for two cabins across the corridor from each other. If we were looking at spending approx £2,000, I think it would be better to have the extra space and go for two cabins.

But on the face of it, it's around £450 less for an odd bed configuration. Which isn't bad really for a week's holiday. I've found a previous thread which shows a photo of a U shape layout with the trundle bed under the window and this looks like a good alternative. The kids are still young enough to be ok with it so we'll make the most of it.

It's interesting that it's not a lot more for separate cabins, which we'll remember for when the kids are a bit bigger and on a different timetable.

Thanks.

I've found a previous thread which shows a photo of a U shape layout with the trundle bed under the window and this looks like a good alternative. The kids are still young enough to be ok with it so we'll make the most of it.

Thanks.

Make sure you're looking at the correct ship and category. Because I can't see how it would be possible to set up the beds in a "U" shape on a regular (ie non HC accessible) OV cabin on the Jade.

The trundle bed goes under one of the other beds during the day. When your room is turned down at night, the bed on the wall is unlocked and pulled down, the trundle is brought up. It'll be challenging to move around when the beds are all made up. I've squished 5 of us into one OV cabin on a Carnival ship, so I know what togetherness like that can be like!

Archived