Tanning

summerlove69

I am super-fair-skinned and a redhead to boot. As kids when we would go to Florida Mum would just bring a gallon of sunscreen and would re-apply every two hours or so. As a result I have never sunburned, and have NO skin damage! So my recommedation would be to NOT tan and become a sunscreen addict. I leave in a week for my cruise. I have bought a really cute, very large hat from Victoria's Secret and am bringing along a lot of SPF 75. Sure it's only 99.5% effective vs. SPF 15's 98%, but that's 1.5% less chance of burning for $1 more per bottle. (Seems worth it to me). Take this Medical Professional's advice and resist the urge to tan...sunscreen is far more effective against burning than tanning will ever be.

Brit.

I'm going to date myself here, but in Southern California it was popular a decade or two ago to use Baby Lotion mixed with Iodine. Has anybody ever heard of this ?

My mother used to do this to us as kids, and I remind her every time I visit the dermotologist to have basal cell cancer cells removed.:cool:

Definitely go to a salon for the base; as others posted, start with only a few minutes and work up.

Still use sunscreen in the Carrib. The strength of that sun creeps up on you, in odd ways (waiting to re-board the ship at a port-of-call).

There are tanning booths that you stand up in if your bf's weight is truly a concern. Same principal, just vertical.

Having worked in a tanning salon for a number of years while in college I hope I can add some info to help you out as well.

Tanning beds wont prevent you from a burning, "a Base Tan" will prevent you from burning.And tanning beds can help you do that. But tan or burn, either one is a form of sun damage. If you are okay with that, I suggest going to the tanning salon a few times a week, starting off with short sessions and working your way up. If you do not want to risk any further sun damage, I suggest using sunscreen on your cruise and protecting your skin.

Hey I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.....I have grown up in South Florida and have always worn sunscreen.Now whenever i get even the slightest bit if a burn I break out in a itchy rash...Apparently I have received too many Sunburns in my life and I am now "allergic" to sunburns.....I use airbrush tanning religiously. Before I go away I book 3 sessions and come out with a great fake tan. Of course this doesn't protect you from the sun but I look great...Get a fake tan load up on sunscreen and protect your skin...Trust me you will be grateful when you are older...For the record I am 32......

Just remember, as most tanning salons will tell you, If you do not tan from the sun, you will not tan from a tanning bed.

Sorry I need to disagree with this. I am one of those people that when I go out in the sun I burn, peal & burn again. About 4-5 yrs ago I decided to try the tanning beds to see if I could get some kind of color other then pink. I had to start out at 2-3 minutes & work up from there. Each year I find that I can start out at a higher minute. After I get a tan from the bed then I do not burn when I go out in the sun.

I also agree with cruisinmaymay about the tanning lotion. In the saon they do cost more then Target, Walmart, Ect, but they are well worth it. I notice that they give you result must faster then the cheap stuff plus my skin does not dry out.

Now to your orginal question- I went to the Dr a few weeks ago & she made the comment about how it looked like I was just in the sun. I told her I had just gone tanning that morning & how I wanted to have a base tan for the cruise. She told me that it was a good idea, that way when we spend so much time in the water & in the sun it will cut down our chance of getting burnt, but we still need to use sun block.

I start about a month before we cruise and it really helps! You also have to use sun screen more than once a day on the cruise. As far as your boyfriend. Have him go to a stand up tanning place. I can't lay in the bed they scare me. Standing it so much easier.

Have a great time.

:)

I have very sensitive skin, allergic to all kinds of lotions, and I always end up burning. I usually burn the first day and then start turning brown but as I'm getting older and hopefully wiser, I've started worrying about skin damage. This year, I'm using the Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer. I have to say that it works great! It doesn't streak or turn your skin orange and everyone thinks that I've been tanning or just outside a bunch. It's less than $5 at Walmart and I'll just use SPF 50 sunscreen on our cruise next month.

Just an idea!

I have very sensitive skin, allergic to all kinds of lotions, and I always end up burning. I usually burn the first day and then start turning brown but as I'm getting older and hopefully wiser, I've started worrying about skin damage. This year, I'm using the Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer. I have to say that it works great! It doesn't streak or turn your skin orange and everyone thinks that I've been tanning or just outside a bunch. It's less than $5 at Walmart and I'll just use SPF 50 sunscreen on our cruise next month.

Just an idea!

I just bought the Jergen's lotion for my father and his glow in the dark legs. We'll see how it works.;)

No ones worried about skin cancer here? I like a tan too, but have come to equate a very dark tanned person not as healthy, but as stupid. ( I know that sounds bad) Not bashing really.. just curious if you all know something I don't. Been spraying my tan on for a while now for safety reasons. By age 30 a few of my sun worshiping friends have had skin patches removed to be tested for cancer, and now won't go out without SPF 40 at least and a hat. But there are really people that will still lay out and cook?

What did I miss, when did tanning become safe? TIA for this new info, I guess I have missed??:confused:

No ones worried about skin cancer here? I like a tan too, but have come to equate a very dark tanned person not as healthy, but as stupid. ( I know that sounds bad) Not bashing really.. just curious if you all know something I don't. Been spraying my tan on for a while now for safety reasons. By age 30 a few of my sun worshiping friends have had skin patches removed to be tested for cancer, and now won't go out without SPF 40 at least and a hat. But there are really people that will still lay out and cook?

What did I miss, when did tanning become safe? TIA for this new info, I guess I have missed??:confused:

At times tanning is safer then not. Like my Dr had said that I was smart to get a base tan so I did not burn on the cruise. DH & I have bought lots of sun screen for the cruise but unless you have a timer going off ever couple of hours yu will end up burning. When you are having fun what seems like 2 hours could actually be 4-5 hours & by then it is too late. Granted tanning will not prevent you from not burning at all but it does help to not burn as much if you forget to put on the sun block. To me 3rd degree sun burn is much worse then me going tanning the month before the cruise.

Archived