Do you rent scooter day before...

livingitup

I normally rent from a company other than Special Needs/Care Vacations and get my scooter delivered to my hotel the day before sailing. I have priced rental prices for both Special Needs/Care Vacations and have found Care Vacations doesn't include the price of insurance in the rental price. I am trying to keep cost down so now I am thinking about not getting the scooter the day before cruise. How many of you think it is good to get scooter the day before so you can check it out and also have the ease of getting on the ship if walking is an issue? Then the other problem I have run into is that one company list the weight limit less for the same brand scooter.

Whether I get the scooter the day is not dependent on checking it out but rather :

• If I plan on doing something the day before which requires the need for the scooter
  • Also whether or not I'll be charged an additional day. It varies depending on the port but I always ask the rental company what the cost would be if the scooter were to be delivered to the hotel the day before noting that I would than handle transporting it to the ship myself. 3 out of 5 times the rental company doesn't charge me the extra rate because they do not have to come to the hotel the next day to pickup the scooter to than be delivered to the ship. BTW I always rent the Mid-Size scooter from CareVacations ( which is the same that I own) and it easily breaks down to fit into the trunk of a taxi.

Whether I get the scooter the day is not dependent on checking it out but rather :

• If I plan on doing something the day before which requires the need for the scooter
  • Also whether or not I'll be charged an additional day. It varies depending on the port but I always ask the rental company what the cost would be if the scooter were to be delivered to the hotel the day before noting that I would than handle transporting it to the ship myself. 3 out of 5 times the rental company doesn't charge me the extra rate because they do not have to come to the hotel the next day to pickup the scooter to than be delivered to the ship. BTW I always rent the Mid-Size scooter from CareVacations ( which is the same that I own) and it easily breaks down to fit into the trunk of a taxi.

Thanks so much xxoocruiser. I take it you have enjoyed renting from Care Vacations. Do you purchase the insurance? They have a standard and the full, if you don't mind can I ask which you purchase? I have never paid more for insurance but I may purchase the standard from them.

Thanks so much xxoocruiser. I take it you have enjoyed renting from Care Vacations. Do you purchase the insurance? They have a standard and the full, if you don't mind can I ask which you purchase? I have never paid more for insurance but I may purchase the standard from them.

Have been very pleased with CareVacations. I rent from them because I'm always assured that I will get the Mid-Size scooter the Pride GoGo Elite HD Plus which is the next model up from the Pride GoGo Elite that I own. Though Special Needs at Seas also uses Pride GoGo Elite HD Plus at some ports of calls they also use the Shop Rider Dasher model as well. Therefore Special Needs at Seas with not guarantee a specific model/brand only that it's a scooter in the category that you have rented.

Have never purchased any of Carevacations Insurance Plans. My Amex Card provides purchase/rental insurance as a free benefit. Suggest you check what benefits your credit card may offer. Also check to see if your homeowners insurance would cover such rentals.

i have rented from both Carevacations and Special Needs at Sea. I do not know if Special needs does this, but on one cruise my scooter totally stopped working. We got it back to the ship by people helping to push it -- not that hard. We called Carevacations, and learned that they store an extra scooter on the ship for just that occasion. The new one worked fine. And oh, the insurance cost can be reduce a bit by covering it for damage, but not for replacement if stolen. I never left it alone.

Archived