Expensive Train to Bristol

veravin

Some of you may recall my questions about getting from Southampton to Dingle a month or two back. I got some great advice and we came up with a plan to take a train to Bristol and fly from there to Cork. The train schedules were not available for our specific dates at the time but a dummy booking for 3 weeks earlier (same day of week and time) gave a price of 8-13 quid per person. It has been the same for all the Saturdays since that initial question. Last week June 29 came up and it was 29 per person and July 6 is the same. Any idea why it is 2-3 times more expensive for those dates? Is there any chance of those decreasing or is the well in advance rate typically the best one? There are 6 of us traveling so it does make a bit of a difference.

Thanks.

Dee

Hi, Dee,

Are you sure you saw 6th July at minimum £29 for sat 29th June? :confused:

On the Nat Rail site I'm currently seeing Saturday prices up to & including 29th June

08.27..... £8

09.10..... £14.50

09.15..... £51.50 (indirect)

10.10..... £14.50

10.15..... £51.50 (indirect)

10.10..... £10.00

But for Saturday 6th July all at £29.20 (bar the indirects, still at £51.50)

That is the last date bookable at the moment.

Weekday times & fares, vaguely from about £6.50 up to 3rd July, also show a minimum of £29.20 for 4th & 5th July.

I'd be inclined to monitor those prices for a few days to see if the increase date moves forward. If it does, it's probably a computer glitch.

Price increases are govt regulated, the round of increases in January averaged below 4%, though I don't know if trains offered at below the standard rate are regulated.

JB :)

Bear in mind that the best prices are for specific trains. This means that your ticket is valid for a train at that time only, and if you miss that train you will have to pay the FULL price.

Hi Dee,

As of today, the cheap Advance fares from Southampton to Bristol are only loaded in the reservation system up to 3 July. In my experience, this slight delay in loading the full range of fares, when the reservation system opens three months in advance, is typical of most British train companies. The Advance fares for 6 July should be in the system within a few days. So keep monitoring the site. This far in advance, you should have no trouble getting the cheapest fares when they become available.

Dermot

Archived