Info on aft balcony please!

We have never booked an aft, and are seriously considering one for a cruise in early August. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do the aft balconies have regular chairs, or loungers? Will a lounger fit? And if they are not provided, will our room steward bring us two?

2. Early August, in the western Caribbean, is HOT!!!! When the ship is sailing, is there a good breeze on an aft?

3. Are there overhangs, or is the balcony completely open?

Thanks!!!!

Kat

We've only had aft wraps so far, and they do have loungers. There will a breeze when sailing but when in port, not so much.

Shade would depend on which deck and ship you are on. Conquest class generally doesn't have an over hang to provide shade, however some Spirit class decks do have overhangs.

You'll love the Aft, we do!!

1. Depends on the cabin, depends on the ship. If it's an aft extended cabin, it will definitely have loungers. If it's just a regular aft facing, it may not. It may have reclining chairs. Best to do a google image search of the cabin you're looking for.

2. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

3. Most of the time there is a partial overhang, but again it is specific to cabin and ship.

Aft facing cabins are the best on the ship IMHO. They are absolutely gorgeous. You get the whole panorama to view. You know the feeling you get looking over the aft of the ship? It's so peaceful? You get that all the time when it's your very own balcony. I say go for it.

In a regular aft balcony - not an aft wrap - there is rarely any breeze and the overhangs are only over a small portion of the balcony - most is open to the sky. The back of the ships I have been on have had a "stepped" aft, so each deck above you will be able to see down into the rear half of your balcony. In return, the balcony is deeper, at least on the ground part, then other balconies, again because of the stepped layout of the aft. My last two aft balconies have had one lounger and one chair. The others have had two chairs. On the Valor we had our room steward bring us a second lounger - there was NO room to move around, but we just wanted to both be able to sit on a lounger. One of us would have to climb over the other one to get to the far chair.

Hope this helped. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you are going to be happy just to be on the ship!

Good for you!! Book it!! I just booked to aft wraps for alaska in aug 2014...had an aft wrap on miracle a few years ago to caribbean... It was awesome... You didnt mention wihich ship... On the spirit class, deck 4 is completely covered, which i love.. (the aft wraps)... Let us know what you decide !!

So it depends on the ship, we are looking at the Dream! Anybody know about those?

We are booked in May on Breeze, ext aft 7461, next to corner I believe the ext afts next to corner wraps are smaller on Conquest ships. This is the Dream and it is what we are expecting on the Breeze - sm.cabin, larger

balcony. If I get a sofa, I will be happy. Since there are only 2 of us, we are excited by the ex large balcony. On other carnival class ships, the ext aft next to the corner wraps have the sofa, but balcony is extended, but not wider. Someone said the angle of the ext aft causes the room to be smaller. I you want a regular ext aft on Conquest ship the book any of the three middle cabins, not the ones next to corner wraps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grumpus viewpost.gif

Hey Tigger and Bart, here are the pics I promised of cabin 7461, It's the same as 7456 only starboard side so it is the mirror layout of 7456.

Also, the last pic is of cabin 7462 which I was in, it should help give you some idea of the difference between the two 8G's. There's a pretty big size difference in the rooms however the balcony on 7461 is a little larger, maybe by 2 feet in width.

7461:

7461-A.jpg

7461-B.jpg

7461-C.jpg

7461-D.jpg

7461-E.jpg

__________________________________________________ __________

We had our first aft balcony (#7453 on the Empress deck, Conquest) on our last cruise and loved it! I love spending time on our balcony, and spent even more time on this one!!

It didn't not have a lounger when we went to our room, just the regular two chairs and small table. But our neighbors (family we were cruising with) did have a lounger, and I had heard from others that if you ask your steward for one he will get it for you so I did, and he did. :) I spent a lot of time relaxing on the lounger, reading, and watching that beautiful wake.

Loved being able to see the entire back, instead of just on one side as with a regular balcony. And since we cruised down the Mississippi River for a few hours before making it to the ocean, it was fun seeing everything, and the other ships, on the river.

The balcony was not "private" if you were standing at the railing. The way the side panels are cut your neighbors can easily see you, and you them as well and you can look down on other people at their railings of their balconies if there are aft balconies below you.

But, if you've got your chairs up against the wall of your room, it's more private. Your neighbors would have to turn their heads and look back at you, and people above you can't see you.

As for the breeze, we cruised in January and I thought it was adequate. I get hot easily and rarely got hot on the balcony, had shade a lot of the time and one day it was extremely cloudy all day so no sun then either. But in August it might be hotter.

When we cruise again, I definitely want another aft balcony!! Or an aft wrap!! :)

We had 7463 on Empress deck 7 on the Dream last week. We had two chairs and a lounger. On of the chairs reclined as well. Also had a small table.

Hardly any breeze was felt. It gets really hot out there during the day. If the sun is beating on the deck wear shoes! Your feet will burn. We learned that really quick. Mornings and evenings were really nice. Views were awesome. We did not have a overhang.

So it depends on the ship, we are looking at the Dream! Anybody know about those?

Some of the aft balconies on the Dream are covered some are not....as for a breeze, not so much.

If you want a breeze on a balcony and you are sailing in August I would recommend the cove balconies on Dream.

Deck 2 close to the water and no glass on the balcony so you get a breeze and you can stick your feet out thru the opening and feel the breeze on your toes.

check out www. cruiselinerooms. com and look for balconies on the Dream.

We have stayed only in coves on the Dream, would not pay the premium for a higher deck regular balcony. We love 2338 and 2340 we have sailed once each in these rooms and we are booked for our 3rd Dream cruise in Sept. 2013 in 2338.

Good luck!

Being an official "aft snob", I would suggest you try an aft of some sort.

I've had narrow, wide, Vista suites, and next, a 9C aft wrap. The view(s) are wonderful, and, there is no foot traffic back there.

Yes, it can get kind of warm back there, but, it's a great place to catch some rays without being shoulder to shoulder with others.

I could go on and on....... I think you catch my drift, eh?;)

Archived