Can you suggest a good online seller?

Toto2Kansas

Time to replace my old snorkeling gear and I was just wanting to know if anyone could suggest a good online site for ordering. There are no dive shops anywhere in Kansas so I do have to do this via the Internet.

Thanks in advance!

Let me tell you a little about online sellers. If it is a name brand product--that vendor usually will not honor the warranty. I run a local dive shop and had to turn customers away because the vendor said the online seller has their own warranty. I am not saying online sellers are bad just beware of the warranty.

As I've said I have used all three on line scuba stores. While the warranties may not be included with the purchases I've never had any warranty issues with quality goods. Also, I have not seen any shop refuse to work on/repair any equipment. After all they also make money fixing and maintaining equipment. That said I can also say that I have developed a relationship with my local dive shop and get prices close to but not quite equal to what I find on the internet. I would suggest that you research your costs at the online dive shops, find what you want, and what they charge. Then go to your LDS and see what kind of a deal you can work out. If the LDS is not willing to work with you at all then I would suggest you find another dive shop because they obviously do not want your business.

Jerry G

Hi - Wichita has two dive shops if you are anywhere near. Pro Ski & Scuba and Adventure Sports. :)

Thanks, I wish we were closer but Wichita is about 3 hours from here. Guess I will have to take my chances online again. But thanks for the idea just in case we get down around that area.

The only thing I've bought online where I was concerned about the warranty was my dive computer. I bought it from Leisure Pro because my LDS wanted about $150 more than they did. Leisure Pro gave me a one year warranty, the same as I would have received from the manufacturer. I was happy and the computer has worked flawlessly for 4 years.

We've bought many diving items online (despite the two nearby dive shops) usually due to the price differences. We got a fabulous deal a few years ago and I got a SeaQuest Diva BCD for $150!! It was on Ebay and the guy who was selling them got them at a surplus auction, they were all brand new with tags still on, and he advertised them like he was not quite sure what they were. My husband jumped right on that and called the guy up in NY and said 'Send me one!' We sent several of our friends to him too and they got the same great deal. Others we've bought online include fins, dry snorkles, Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit, regulator, etc. Usually we use Leisure Pro but we've also used a place out of Spain (not sure of the name). The Internet is wonderful for research and comparision.

Good luck and have fun on your next dive!

• 2 weeks later...

To buy equipment I would use www.leisurepro.com , but it is very important to try mask on before you buy. Fit is so important when buying a mask. Both for comfort and for the seal. Try holding the mask to your face and breathing in, if the mask sticks to your face you have a good seal. I found a website that lists 12 shops in Kansas, hopefully one will be near you. Try www.scubawizard.com , and have a great time snorkeling.

There has been problems with leisurepro. We have a scuba shop here in Grand Junction that is really great. They have a huge selection of scuba gear and if they don't have it they can normally get it right away. They will almost always be able to match any other price. You can tell them where you found it and they will match it. We have bought most of our gear here.

Adventure Sports

2863 North Avenue

Grand Junction, CO 81501

adventuresports@mindspring.com

970-243-3684

1-800-775-2441

Talk to Stephen Fish

I think there hours are like 9 or 10AM to 6PM. In the summer they are open later because they also do Kayak and canoe rentals.

If you like you can tell them Donna Bitting reccommeded them. We use to have 3 dive shops here in Grand Junction, but now only 2. We just replaced our masks recently and they had over 30 diff. models to try on. It's like a toy store for Scuba nuts.

They are an "authorized" dealer of all the equipment they sell.

Got leisurepro mixed up with performance. But the reason we don't use leisure pro for our dive gear, is that it is not an authorized dealer for the equipment we use. You can usually go to the manufacturer site and see if it is listed. With some equipment that is not a problem. Each of us has to make our own decision about whether to purchase from an unauthorized dealer. If you do and then have problems with the product, you cannot expect the manufacturer to make good on it.We haven't had any problems with our equipment, but would not take a chance on scuba equip. As far as fins go, even some wet suits, you shouldn't have a problem.

I can't emphasize enough for you to do your research. As you are doing by asking this question. Don't trust leisurepro or any of the other on line stores to be the cheapest. I'll give you an example. I am interested in buying a Mares Nemo Titanium dive computer. Leisurepro lists it for 599. My local dive shop is selling the same computer for 519. I buy on line and from my local dive shop AFTER I do my research and figure out what is best for me. Also the warranties are only important if something goes dramatically wrong during the first year. After that you need to be servicing your equipment and the warranties will not save you much since they only cover pats, and the significant cost is the labor to fix them. The other thing to consider when buying on line is that support for how to use the product is non existent. If you buy a 1st stage, 2nd stage, and rpg it comes as loose pieces and you need to assemble it. When you assemble what is the torque required to tighten all the fittings. This is probably a simplistic example, but be conscious of all the consequences of purchasing on line or at the dive shop. Don't just consider cost.

Archived