Chankanaab Park question

GrannyJ

I was just looking at a website and it stated that in order to not damage the ecosystem, visitors are "not allowed to use suntan lotion before feeding the fish, touching the coral or entering the ocean". I can't imagine that I'd be able to spend much time in the sun/water without wearing sunscreen. Is this true? Do they enforce it? I guess I could put it on before leaving the ship but I burn easily and usually re-apply sunscreen every couple of hours. As much as I was looking forward to going there, a no-sunscreen rule would nix it for me. Anyone have any info on this?

I was just looking at a website and it stated that in order to not damage the ecosystem, visitors are "not allowed to use suntan lotion before feeding the fish, touching the coral or entering the ocean". I can't imagine that I'd be able to spend much time in the sun/water without wearing sunscreen. Is this true?
Yes, the oil in most sunscreen lotions is harmful to the ocean environment. Touching coral is always harmful to the coral. Touching coral kills it, sunscreen or not. There are sunscreens that are ecologically friendly. http://www.Cactusjuicetm.com is one that I like.

Do they enforce it?
No, not really. The best sun protection you can get is to wear UV protective clothing. http://www.sungrubbies.com is where I got my son's water shirt. He has red hair and very fair skin. He doesn't tan, he burns. A protective shirt he can wear in the water is the best protection.

I went to Paradise Beach last year on the Elation, there is really no snorkeling there, I have heard that Chankanaab has good snorkeling and I may go there next year on the Conquest. Paradise Beach is more for just hanging out and letting the kids play on the water toys.

I am interested in finding out if there are brochures we can order about the park. My group really likes to do alot of research for our trips.

How is beaches here? Are they very nice? How about the Snorkeling? I am trying to decide between Chankanaab and Paradise Beach.

Hola Neo,

If snorkeling is on the agenda, I would go with Chankanaab or Dzul Ha. Lots of fish but you will find that the good snorkeling is around the rocks. If I had children along I would pick Chankanaab because of the variety of activities. It is a gorgeous place with lots to do and see. Sealions, dolphins, some of the biggest lizards (Iguanas) that you will ever want to see, a botanical garden, musuem, putt-putt, a nice man-made beach and, my favorite, FOOD.

If you want a beach with easy access to the water, I would pick Paradise or one of the private resorts. They have water toys, etc. Check these message boards. If someone has a gripe about anything, it shows up here.

. . . and, my favorite, FOOD.

Hi Clackey -

Can you tell us more about the food? We love trying regional specialities - any recomendations? How are the prices? And most importantly ;) , do they take US$ or credit cards or will we need to get some Pesos if we want to eat there?

Thanks!

- Lisa

Hi Clackey -

Can you tell us more about the food? We love trying regional specialities - any recomendations? How are the prices? And most importantly ;) , do they take US$ or credit cards or will we need to get some Pesos if we want to eat there?

Thanks!

- Lisa

Hola Lisa,

At Chank there is an covered patio at the edge of the beach area complete with a band and waiters. The food is typical of the area, was priced reasonably and the service was good. I found only one place on our last trip that did not take US money and that was in Progreso. Many places, however, did not take credit or debit cards. If you are going to Progreso, be sure check out the food in the local mall. I had food there that I've never seen in the tourist traps. It was terrific!

Gracias, Clackey! We will be in Cozumel on the Star Princess in December and are looking at their "Segway Adventure to Chankanaab" excursion. Last year we were there on Explorer OTS and did the "Mexican Cuisine Workshop" at Playa Mia - wonderful food and we got to cook it ourselves! It was my all-time favorite excursion . . . so far! It's not an excursion that is offered by Princess though, so we are looking for something new and different to try.

- Lisa

Archived