New NO cruiser and need advice!

Blondie70

DH and I cruising out of NO for the first time coming up in October. We're waiting out the airline sales to get a good flight price. We have NO IDEA about hotels or parking. I've read several reviews on here and have some ideas about some good ones to check in to (i.e., Drury Inn on Poydras St, The Inn on St. Ann, Machu Picchu Parking, Fulton St Garage).

We'd like a hotel for $100 or less--just one night. We also don't plan on doing a lot of sightseeing on Sat before leaving on Sunday.

1) Do those of you who fly in prefer to stay close to the airport or go ahead and stay close to the pier?

2) Whichever one it is, what's your best recommendation for a hotel, and did that include parking and transfer to the pier?

3) What's your best parking advice outside the port parking and what was the price?

4) For the hotels that include parking, did you feel like your vehicle was safe and secure there for a week?

Thanks for all the help!!

I can answer part of your questions. We live in the area. If you budget is $100 or less, I would say that a hotel close to the airport is your best bet (that area would be considered Kenner or Metairie). If you can find a hotel $100 or less in New Orleans, I would be very leary of the area and do a lot of research online. I do not think it is possible to get a hotel at that price in New Orleans. If you are not familiar with the area, then I would use Google maps when looking at hotels. Personally, I would definitely avoid any hotel in "News Orleans East". Don't be fooled by low prices. You do NOT want to stay there. I would also avoid Gretna, which is on the West bank of the river and not what people think of when they think of New Orleans.

You may be able to get something close to the pier for the $159 - $160 range if you keep checking hotel website that offer specials.

You may be able to get something close to the pier for the $159 - $160 range if you keep checking hotel website that offer specials.

That range would be fine too. I've seen some posts on here about park/cruise specials around $100. Not sure how to get one of those specials!! Just looking on line, prices are coming up like $250-400/night for middle of the road chain hotels. That's just craziness!!

I'm also finding the hotels I've checked on so far on trip advisor are showing to be booked already!! We're cruising Oct 20. Looks like there's a blues and bar-b-que festival that weekend. I guess that's it?

Thanks for the info!

Priceline may be the way to go. I am not sure that would include parking though. I didn't know your exact dates when I posted those prices. Those prices are possible on some days. The prices are completely dependent on what is happening in the city. There is always something happening here, of course some festivals are bigger than others. I am not sure of that particular one you mentioned though. Not sure if that is the reason. There could also be a big convention in town. It may also be Oktoberfest. October is overall a great time to visit New Orleans so it may be a combination of things.

You best option may be bidding or looking at hotels close to the airport (Kenner or Metairie).

On another note, I recently use Last Minute Travel for a hotel in San Diego. Hotels there were very high because of a big convention. I did do this last minute so maybe you can book a hotel that is refundable and wait and see if you can get a deal at the last minute. Just make sure you understand how to use their site and what their policies are. Since you don't know the New Orleans area, it may be best to only consider the hotels that are actually listed with their names (some are not listed by name so you are taking chance).

I can answer part of your questions. We live in the area. If you budget is $100 or less, I would say that a hotel close to the airport is your best bet (that area would be considered Kenner or Metairie). If you can find a hotel $100 or less in New Orleans, I would be very leary of the area and do a lot of research online. I do not think it is possible to get a hotel at that price in New Orleans. If you are not familiar with the area, then I would use Google maps when looking at hotels. Personally, I would definitely avoid any hotel in "News Orleans East". Don't be fooled by low prices. You do NOT want to stay there. I would also avoid Gretna, which is on the West bank of the river and not what people think of when they think of New Orleans.

We are staying at the Drury Inn before our next cruise in Nov. I think we are paying about $155.00 per night including taxes. That was one of the cheapest places we could find in the area . We've stayed there before an liked it. The others in my group are driving down instead of flying. They didn't want to spend that much on a room so they booked at the Super 8 because it was like $60 / night. I looked on the map - does that qualify as New Orleans East? It's had some negative reviews about the area. I'm not certain they realize this.

Yes, it is New Orleans East. If you go to Google maps and put in "Industrial Canal", it will mark a place on the map that is on this canal, on the west side. Anything to the east of this canal is New Orleans East and I can't express enough, you do NOT want to be there. It is not worth it. It is much better to stay around the airport in Kenner or Metairie, much better.

The reality is, if the price sounds to go to be true in the New Orleans area, it probably is, unless you know for sure you are getting a good deal on bidding sites (meaning, you compared the price are you are getting with the the hotels regular prices online).

The Drury is a good choice and a great value in the New Orleans area.

Here is part of a recent review I just read and this sounds "right on the money":

The hotel is in a bad area of town, right next to an abandoned building and a highway, the highway's noise was bearable but the abandoned building by the day was being robbed by people of dubious reputation, and at night homeless people sleeping and smoking (not cigars).

I just thought of something else. Where are they driving from? If they will be coming from anywhere North of Louisiana and driving I-12, then driving over the long Causeway bridge, then another option is staying on the Northshore of New Orleans in a hotel in Covington. These are the suburbs of New Orleans and a great, safe location about 45 minutes away from the pier. Hotels are much less and many of these hotels are new.

Yes, it is New Orleans East. If you go to Google maps and put in "Industrial Canal", it will mark a place on the map that is on this canal, on the west side. Anything to the east of this canal is New Orleans East and I can't express enough, you do NOT want to be there. It is not worth it. It is much better to stay around the airport in Kenner or Metairie, much better.

The reality is, if the price sounds to go to be true in the New Orleans area, it probably is, unless you know for sure you are getting a good deal on bidding sites (meaning, you compared the price are you are getting with the the hotels regular prices online).

The Drury is a good choice and a great value in the New Orleans area.

Here is part of a recent review I just read and this sounds "right on the money":

The hotel is in a bad area of town, right next to an abandoned building and a highway, the highway's noise was bearable but the abandoned building by the day was being robbed by people of dubious reputation, and at night homeless people sleeping and smoking (not cigars).

Thank you SO much. They are two families of 5 and 4 and they both said they don't want to spend close to $200 for a night at a hotel. I'm with you in the thinking that if its THAT cheap in a city where $130 is rare to find, it must not be a pleasant place to stay. I don't need fancy, but I want safe. That and we are flying in so we wont have a car, therefore want close to the fr. qty.

They are driving down from SW Missouri. Not sure what highway they are coming down but will find out. I haven't said anything to them becuase I dont want to sound like I'm trying to get them to stay where we are staying. But as I was looking at various reviews on trip advisor, ect, i saw quite a few bad ones. And I keep hearing about certain parts of N.O. you do NOT want to stay in. When I read your post, I thought maybe I'd better check into this a little more. One of them is a police officer, but I don't know that it would make much difference if he's an OFF DUTY officer, other than maybe he'll keep a watchful eye.

I'm sure they want to be fairly close to the qtr, though I'm not certain how close. What are your suggestions for something within 15-20 minutes drive time to the qtr.? anything? Again thanks so much for your helpful information!!

New Orleans East is definitely one of those places. You need to convince them not to stay there! In my opinion, you would be a prisoner in your hotel room. You wouldn't be able to stop at a gas station, fast food, etc.

I just checked hotels.com for Nov. but didn't have your specific dates. I do see The Sheraton Metairie at $101 a night in Nov. It has 4 stars and good reviews. This is a good location and about 15 minutes to the French Quarter. It is 5.9 miles to French Quarter. Parking is easy (not sure of the cost at the hotel) and there are lots of restaurants in the area, a mall very close by and grocery stores if needed. You would be on interstate from the hotel to the French Quarter, so it would be easy with a GPS.

I know on a map a Sheraton in Metairie and Super 8 in New Orleans East look close (10 miles apart) but the locations are extremely different, trust me!

If you're not looking for anything fancy, but offers a good hot breakfast and free cruise parking with free shuttles to & From the port- Check out Quality Inns and Suites Westgate. $130 for one night stay and free parking for the duration of the cruise and the shuttles. With taxes it came to a total of $161 and some change for our April 7th, 2013 cruise out of NO

New Orleans East is definitely one of those places. You need to convince them not to stay there! In my opinion, you would be a prisoner in your hotel room. You wouldn't be able to stop at a gas station, fast food, etc.

I just checked hotels.com for Nov. but didn't have your specific dates. I do see The Sheraton Metairie at $101 a night in Nov. It has 4 stars and good reviews. This is a good location and about 15 minutes to the French Quarter. It is 5.9 miles to French Quarter. Parking is easy (not sure of the cost at the hotel) and there are lots of restaurants in the area, a mall very close by and grocery stores if needed. You would be on interstate from the hotel to the French Quarter, so it would be easy with a GPS.

I know on a map a Sheraton in Metairie and Super 8 in New Orleans East look close (10 miles apart) but the locations are extremely different, trust me!

I'll be sure to tell them this. Thank you so much! We are cruising on Nov 3rd. My assumption is they want a hotel for just Nov. 2nd. I'm going to mention the Sheraton in Metairie to them. Then I guess it's up to them what they do. Feel bad, because they have a family of 5 so I know it gets expensive to stay in a hotel. But I want them to be safe! Thanks!

If you're not looking for anything fancy, but offers a good hot breakfast and free cruise parking with free shuttles to & From the port- Check out Quality Inns and Suites Westgate. $130 for one night stay and free parking for the duration of the cruise and the shuttles. With taxes it came to a total of $161 and some change for our April 7th, 2013 cruise out of NO

Dixieland Mom

Thanks very much. I'm sure they aren't looking for fancy at all, Heck they are staying a Super 8

I will definately have them check out Quality Inns and Suites Wetgage. With free parking for the week, I don't think 161.00 is bad at all for a family of five. Thanks for the help!!!

... then another option is staying on the Northshore of New Orleans in a hotel in Covington. These are the suburbs of New Orleans and a great, safe location about 45 minutes away from the pier. Hotels are much less and many of these hotels are new.

I checked out Covington hotels last night on tripadvisor and think that is a GREAT idea!!! Just right across the bridge into the port! The #1 ranked hotel is just $97/night. Now THAT's what I'm talking about. We're looking at Fulton Parking or Machu Picchu, so won't need to park at the hotel for the week. Thanks for the Covington suggestion.

I checked out Covington hotels last night on tripadvisor and think that is a GREAT idea!!! Just right across the bridge into the port! The #1 ranked hotel is just $97/night. Now THAT's what I'm talking about. We're looking at Fulton Parking or Machu Picchu, so won't need to park at the hotel for the week. Thanks for the Covington suggestion.

You're welcome. You will be happy there. Very safe, nice area with lots of restaurant options very close by, in every direction from the hotel. If you did decide to sightsee, there are good options on the Northshore, especially for nature lovers. One of our all time favorite places to visit is Global Wildlife, especially to do their private pinz tour. Amazing! you can read reviews about that on Yelp.

Priceline may be the way to go. I am not sure that would include parking though. I didn't know your exact dates when I posted those prices. Those prices are possible on some days. The prices are completely dependent on what is happening in the city. There is always something happening here, of course some festivals are bigger than others. I am not sure of that particular one you mentioned though. Not sure if that is the reason. There could also be a big convention in town. It may also be Oktoberfest. October is overall a great time to visit New Orleans so it may be a combination of things.

You best option may be bidding or looking at hotels close to the airport (Kenner or Metairie).

On another note, I recently use Last Minute Travel for a hotel in San Diego. Hotels there were very high because of a big convention. I did do this last minute so maybe you can book a hotel that is refundable and wait and see if you can get a deal at the last minute. Just make sure you understand how to use their site and what their policies are. Since you don't know the New Orleans area, it may be best to only consider the hotels that are actually listed with their names (some are not listed by name so you are taking chance).

I'm starting to research for hotels for a Dec. cruise and just wanted to pass along info. that I have found. You may want to look at the Last Minute Travel and compare to what you find on hotels. com. I just looked at hotels. com and found that they were running about $50-100 more than LMT. If you find a good price on LMT that doesn't have a name here's a trick: Click on the book it button on the hotel you are looking at then it will bring you to a page that you can add an excursion to - add an excursion then continue booking. You will then see on the right hand side the name and picture of the hotel you are booking. If it's one that you feel would be a good fit you can proceed (just remember to unclick the excursion unless of course you want to go on it).;) I pretty much always use LMT as it's given me good prices but I do know what hotel I will be getting. I know some people have figured out how to do this on Priceline but that is way too complicated for me or maybe just too much work.:o Anyway from what I've seen I usually get pretty close to that price anyway with a lot less work.:cool:

It would be an unforgivable sin to be so close to wonderful food, music and unique people watching without spending several days absorbing some of this city's soul and culture. Spring the extra bucks for food and music at The Market Café, inexpensive lunch/dinner at Deanies' or dinner at The Bon Ton. You'll be creating lifetime memories.

Covington is a great place to stay. We recently stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn in covington and it's a great place. The toll to use the causeway is somewhere around $2, but it is worth it. You are 25 minutes from New Orleans and probably another 15 to get to the port. There is also a good amount of good food in Covington and Madisonville (Like Morton's Seafood, The Chimes, and Don's).

It is a safe area and is clean.

It would be an unforgivable sin to be so close to wonderful food, music and unique people watching without spending several days absorbing some of this city's soul and culture. Spring the extra bucks for food and music at The Market Café, inexpensive lunch/dinner at Deanies' or dinner at The Bon Ton. You'll be creating lifetime memories.

Thanks for the recommendations and I looked at all of them and the Market Cafe I believe is just what we're looking for. I wanted a place with good food (reasonably price helps) and music and atmosphere. This looks like it will be a definite place for us to try!:D I'm particularly interested in the crawfish beignets and the alligator nuggets. I've never had crawfish, beignets or alligator but I think will like them all. One thing though... I really don't handle hot and spicy very well so I will have to be careful.:eek:

Covington is a great place to stay. We recently stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn in covington and it's a great place. The toll to use the causeway is somewhere around $2, but it is worth it. You are 25 minutes from New Orleans and probably another 15 to get to the port. There is also a good amount of good food in Covington and Madisonville (Like Morton's Seafood, The Chimes, and Don's).

It is a safe area and is clean.

Just wanted to add to your restaurant list for the Covington area (Northshore of New Orleans). The quality of authenic Louisiana food is excellent. The Northshore is considered "The Greater New Orleans Area" as is other suburban areas surrounding the city.

A great one is Zacharys- http://zacharys985.com/ Ate there recently and it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Take a look at their appetizers alone! You need a reservations here.

Another one for breakfast and lunch is Broken Egg Cafe in Old Mandeville. If you go on the weekend, it is best to do a "call ahead" because there will be a wait.

Here's a link for the Northshore of New Orleans - http://www.louisiananorthshore.com/

I'm starting to research for hotels for a Dec. cruise and just wanted to pass along info. that I have found. You may want to look at the Last Minute Travel and compare to what you find on hotels. com. I just looked at hotels. com and found that they were running about $50-100 more than LMT. If you find a good price on LMT that doesn't have a name here's a trick: Click on the book it button on the hotel you are looking at then it will bring you to a page that you can add an excursion to - add an excursion then continue booking. You will then see on the right hand side the name and picture of the hotel you are booking. If it's one that you feel would be a good fit you can proceed (just remember to unclick the excursion unless of course you want to go on it).;) I pretty much always use LMT as it's given me good prices but I do know what hotel I will be getting. I know some people have figured out how to do this on Priceline but that is way too complicated for me or maybe just too much work.:o Anyway from what I've seen I usually get pretty close to that price anyway with a lot less work.:cool:

This is a great idea and tip. Can you tell me more? I tried to do what you said above but did not see an option to add an excursion. I tested it in two cities.

What I did when trying to figure out the hotel we were bidding on was look at the pictures they provide of the actual hotel. I saw in one picture the sign of a restaurant in the hotel. I looked up the restaurant and saw what hotel it was located inside of. That trick won't most of the time though.

I'm starting to research for hotels for a Dec. cruise and just wanted to pass along info. that I have found. You may want to look at the Last Minute Travel and compare to what you find on hotels. com. I just looked at hotels. com and found that they were running about $50-100 more than LMT. If you find a good price on LMT that doesn't have a name here's a trick: Click on the book it button on the hotel you are looking at then it will bring you to a page that you can add an excursion to - add an excursion then continue booking. The next page that comes up will show you what you are adding to your booking, then click continue booking. You will then see on the right hand side the name and picture of the hotel you are booking. If it's one that you feel would be a good fit you can proceed (just remember to unclick the excursion unless of course you want to go on it).;) I pretty much always use LMT as it's given me good prices but I do know what hotel I will be getting. I know some people have figured out how to do this on Priceline but that is way too complicated for me or maybe just too much work.:o Anyway from what I've seen I usually get pretty close to that price anyway with a lot less work.:cool:

Sorry World Gallery missed one step. If you still have problems email me at the address in my signature.:)

• 2 months later...

Archived