Watching cruise ship in New Orleans

ewilliamson29

We will be arriving in New Orleans on Saturday the 18th for our cruise on the 19th. The kids (8 and 3) don't know we are crusing and won't know till we get to the terminal. When we spent a week in Galveston last year, there was a restaurant where you could see the cruise ships depart. I was hoping to find one in New Orleans so we could watch the Elation leave on Saturday. The kids really enjoyed seeing it.

Also, does anyone know if there is a place to get snacks after you have checked in at the terminal. I have been reading where some people have had later boarding times lately and I know my kids will be hungry and complaining if they don't at least have a snack around 11 or so. No big deal if they don't. I just want to be prepared with snacks of my own if I need to!

Thanks in advance for the help.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=ewilliamson29&date=5-19-2013&text=Our First Family Cruise!&ship=Carnival Conquest

You can watch ships leave from the Riverwalk. We do that sometimes just for the vicarious pleasure of seeing others leave on a cruise, while waiting for our turn.

There is a snack bar inside the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Riverwalk mall, you can go out on the balconies by the food court to watch ships sail away, but if you want to be pretty close, go all the way to the back of the food court near the area where the food and drink museum used to be. There is a door there that says "walkway to cruise ships" which goes out to the old carnival terminal. Go out that door and follow the walkway around and back and you'll eventually be near the old gangway that is boarded up. If you keep going just a bit there is a wheelchair ramp that leads to that terminal near the old fountain stairwell that was replaced sometime in the last couple of years. The wheelchair ramp provides a great place to watch the ships depart. If you need food or drink while waiting, you are just a little bit down from the food court.

There is a snack bar in the terminal waiting area, and they usually bring water off the ship for folks to drink while waiting.

From the Riverwalk mall, you can go out on the balconies by the food court to watch ships sail away, but if you want to be pretty close, go all the way to the back of the food court near the area where the food and drink museum used to be. There is a door there that says "walkway to cruise ships" which goes out to the old carnival terminal. Go out that door and follow the walkway around and back and you'll eventually be near the old gangway that is boarded up. If you keep going just a bit there is a wheelchair ramp that leads to that terminal near the old fountain stairwell that was replaced sometime in the last couple of years. The wheelchair ramp provides a great place to watch the ships depart. If you need food or drink while waiting, you are just a little bit down from the food court.

There is a snack bar in the terminal waiting area, and they usually bring water off the ship for folks to drink while waiting.

Thanks so much for the info!

Archived