Details of upcoming Disney Magic changes

Doobie31

They are putting in the wiring for the virtual portholes' date=' but not installing them in the yard.[/quote']

Not wishing to doubt you Skipper, but I think they are just installing the Cat 6 cables for IP TV so that Staterooms have TV on demand and Guest viewing of charges, accounts, and the like.

I doubt they would put in the cabling for the Virtual Portholes without actually installing them now!

They would already have to drop the ceiling, run power to the beds front, also the Cat 6 cable.

Then afterwards have a bulkhead made off site to be put together in the room and do all of that when they could be fully booked, or just do a Stateroom one by one? That would be a booking nightmare when Guests report they had one and will my Stateroom have one.

They will either do it now and be a "surprise" announcement, or scrap the idea before 2017 when she has to go back in.

If the Magic has 875 Staterooms, and 30% are inside, so 262 insides.

At $250 a TV.

$10 for the bracket.

Say $250 for the bulkhead (mass produced off site veneered wood)

$133,000

Then put on the cameras and CPU to do all the animation, say $150k.

So at $283k.

Labor, $50k at most! and they could fit the TV's now.

So at $333k, still worth doing now, if your gonna do it or scrap the idea altogether.

Bar sales will make that up within a couple of cruises! lol!

That makes no sense not to do it all now if they plan on it? Even if you add $200k, to it, it would cost double that afterwards, and Disney are not short of cash right now! lol!

Either they will do it now whilst in the ship yard, are are making a stupid mistake not doing it. If they are going to do it.

ex techie

Only reporting what I read awhile ago, the cabling they were putting in was said to be able to support the Virtual Portholes, to be installed at a later date.

It would make sense that to open up the conduits/panels etc, and also add all the additional wiring necessary for any future improvements. Maybe they expect to use different port hole in the future?

AKK

Id be thrilled with On Demand. We loved it on the Dream. Guess I could take or leave a magic porthole. I mean, if its there in May, great. But the magic porthole interior on the Dream or Fantasy compared to the Veranda on either is like a difference of about $100! In that case, veranda for me! On the Magic in May, the difference is like $250 pp plus! In that case, we went cheap and took interior. That leads me to believe that the pricing of the interior does not support Magic Portholes next year. (We also have interiors on level 7 so not the lowest grade interior either.) So put me an On Demand TV in and I'll be a happy camper err cruiser!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

This thread convinced me to book this morning on the Magic WC out of MIA on 11/29/13 for myself, DS(14) and DD(17). Wasn't sure if I had been on this actual ship for my 30th bday cruise in 2004. Turns out it was the Wonder after I found pictures in my file cabinet. Gosh, the kids were so young back then! So the Magic will be an exciting surprise for my family, especially with all the upcoming changes.

Archived