Taormina --> Messina (train back to ship)

kmcg8r

Hi all,

Quick question... I've read a lot of information about the transportation to/from Taormina and doing it on our own. I'll be there this Monday on Navigator from 10am-6pm. Unfortunately the first train going there after our arrival at 10 doesn't leave Messina until 12:20pm, so won't arrive til nearly 1:30. (not sure why, but there is a big gap from 9:40 to 12:20).

The return that I am looking at arrives back into Messina at 6:03pm. The ship leaves at 7. (It's been awhile since my last cruise so I can't remember if the advertised time is when you have to be back, or if I will have to be back at 6:30). I know the walk is about 15 minutes from train station to ship. And I know that it is a risk to do it on your own, especially with the train schedules/delays, etc.

If the train gets in at 6:03 and you had to be on the ship at 7, would you do it?

If the train gets in at 6:03 and you had to be on the ship at 6:30, would you do it?

Just trying to get opinions here. If anyone has done this, let me know. (I know I read a few posts where people cut it close... curious how close...)

I can come back the one earlier, but it is nearly double the duration (1hr17 min instead of 42 min journey), and that would mean we only have 3 hours in Taormina versus 4.

Hi all,

Quick question... I've read a lot of information about the transportation to/from Taormina and doing it on our own. I'll be there this Monday on Navigator from 10am-6pm. Unfortunately the first train going there after our arrival at 10 doesn't leave Messina until 12:20pm, so won't arrive til nearly 1:30. (not sure why, but there is a big gap from 9:40 to 12:20).

The return that I am looking at arrives back into Messina at 6:03pm. The ship leaves at 7. (It's been awhile since my last cruise so I can't remember if the advertised time is when you have to be back, or if I will have to be back at 6:30). I know the walk is about 15 minutes from train station to ship. And I know that it is a risk to do it on your own, especially with the train schedules/delays, etc.

If the train gets in at 6:03 and you had to be on the ship at 7, would you do it?

If the train gets in at 6:03 and you had to be on the ship at 6:30, would you do it?

Just trying to get opinions here. If anyone has done this, let me know. (I know I read a few posts where people cut it close... curious how close...)

I can come back the one earlier, but it is nearly double the duration (1hr17 min instead of 42 min journey), and that would mean we only have 3 hours in Taormina versus 4.

Personally, I wouldn't cut it that close because I don't know it I've been on an Italian train yet that wasn't late. It's just not worth it to me. And I wouldn't necessarily take the train that is double the duration either. There are too many other options on getting to Taormina and having a splendid time. On the other hand, 3 hours in Taormina would be OK. I just don't think I'd do that journey time to do it. If you are bound to a DIY itinerary, maybe think of something else?

I'm not an experienced cruiser, but I would not do it either. We have a similar dilemma with our time in Messina and decided to go for the private driver route. Have you factored in the time it will take to get up to Taormina from the train station as well (and vice versa)?

Right...makes sense. Thanks for your opinions. The cruise ships excursion only allows for 3 hours there also, so maybe we will just do 3 hours and be back by 5:15.

I will try looking into a private guide tomorrow but I leave tomorrow night for Rome... Booked this fairly last minute and haven't had as much time to plan as I usually do!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey kmcg8r,

How did you end up getting to Taormina? We will be on the Navigator and going to Taormina on June 10th and wanting to do the same thing. There are just 2 of us so I'm guessing that the ship tour @ $45 each might be a better value than a private cab.

Hey kmcg8r,

How did you end up getting to Taormina? We will be on the Navigator and going to Taormina on June 10th and wanting to do the same thing. There are just 2 of us so I'm guessing that the ship tour @ $45 each might be a better value than a private cab.

It ended up working well...we met some folks on the first day in the same situation so there was about 7 of us total that took a taxi can for 20/person. We went right when we got off the ship and just started asking cab drivers there. That was the best rate. Then we took the train back. Worked really well and allowed us to maximize our time there!

Archived