Paradise Beach & Ancient Ruins- How to do both while in Port??

august_cruiser

Hi all fellow cruisers - we are sailing on the Inspiration in August and when we get to Cozumel we want to visit the Ancient Ruins and Paradise Beach. The tour for the Ruins is 7 + hours, so I am seeking an alternative so we can do both.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..:)

While the San Gervasio ruins in Cozumel are not nearly as spectacular as the ones one the mainland, they do provide an alternative that leaves you with enough time to go to Paradise Beach. The cab fare to San Gervasio is $45 round trip with the taxi waiting for you. That's for up to 4 passengers. Entrance to the ruins is $5.50 per person. A guide will run you about $20. I highly recommend getting a guide. He/she will make the ruins come alive.

Hope that helps!

I agree with Sally's remarks and will only add that when the guide at San Gervasio finishes your tour, be sure to walk on your own down the path to your left as you stand with your back to the entrace where you came in. About 2 blocks down this path is a haunting ruin that most people miss because, for some reason, the guides don't generally go here -- at least ours didn't.

Once you've checked this out, continue on around and you'll come back out near where you started going under a stone archway that is part of the "white road" that the mayan women took from the sea to come and pray to the fertility goddess, Ixchell. (I hope I have the historical details right but if not, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly. ) But don't miss those ruins down to the left. There's a gorgeous and huge tree -- I think i'ts a ceiba -- growing around the stone structure there. Quite lovely.

Thank you all for all your remarks on how we can get the most out of our time in Cozumel. So, the taxi will wait for us while we take the tour? Is this something we can book through the cruise line, or is there a web site on with more information?

:confused:

Although there is probably an excursion through the cruiseline, San Gervasio is better done on your own. That way you can go when you want and leave when you want. Just grab a cab at the pier and say San Gervasio. They will wait for you at the ruins. You pay them when they take you back. Here's a website, although the English version is not up and running yet:

http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/

Enjoy!

We booked the San Gervasio Ruins through Princess. I thought it was really interesting, but I wish I would have done it on my own. I felt like I was rushed and I really wanted the extra time to walk around it more. It's beautiful there.

This is a small island and it would be pretty hard to miss your boat. But be assured that indie tour operators are very aware indeed of ship schedules as the island seems to live and breathe cruiseships nowaways.

Reputable companies will always ask when your ship arrives and when it departs and will take every care to be sure you are back well ahead of your departure time. If they can't be sure of accomplishing this, they'll tell you so or make special arrangements in advance to bring you back ahead of the rest of the people in the group if necessary.

With the internet being such a great travel tool, word gets around quickly about negligent tour operators. The businesses know this well and aside from simple human decency in wanting you to have a good time and not be worried, they are aware of the tremendous wave of bad publicity that would come washing their way if they acted anyway else but in a thoroughly responsible manner.

About how long does it take to get to San Gervasio? And, about how long does the tour take? Just trying to decide whether to do the ruins in the am or pm....want to go to Paradise Beach, too!!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Archived