4 year old 36 lbs carseat or booster in Seattle/Vancouver

Ashfry

Hi all!

Not looking for a debate here and I have read the long post on carseats already. I just need to k ow what's legal in Vancouver. We are cruising Alaska from Vancouver and will be spending a day in Seattle then train to Vancouver and a day in Vancouver before our cruise. Most likely we will be in a taxi at some point. Question is do Canada laws allow my son to ride in a booster in a taxi or do I need to bring his carseat? He rides in a Britax carseat at home and would like to avoid lugging it for just one or two taxi rides if I can pack a booster instead. We have never used a booster with him but I know in the US he would be ok(legal) in one. Not sure in Canada.

Please no debating on this issue just an answer if you have one.

Thank you!

40 pounds is the minimum to booster in BC. You have to use a carseat.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/07/01/bc-child-seat-laws.html

Maestro is a nice cheap super lightweight seat. It attaches to the handle of our stroller to transport.

In this pic, the Maestro is the one hanging from the stroller handle.

F5973596-48A8-4338-9E30-49F6642E8471-23660-00001D77DFC5500B.jpg

I believe we used the RideSafer Travel vest when my daughter was that age. I don't know what the minimum height and weight requirements, so make sure it is appropriate for your child. Mine child was within the requirements but it seemed a bit big on her when she was 4. I don't know if this product is approved for use in Canada, we used it anyway on our ride from the Vancover port to the airport, approved or not, I take my child restraint use pretty seriously but won't buy a product to use for one day. The RideSafer vest is still a bit heavy but folds relatively flat so it is convenient to travel with. We used ours as a "spare" restraint for the cousins and friends from pre-school, so it was useful outside of traveling. We eventually quit using it before the girls technically outgrew the specs because our kids have such long legs, it was a hassle to climb in and out of. We had the older model of the vest, the newer one may be more user friendly. You must have a lap/shoulder belt to use the vest and because there is no side impact protection, when possible, I tried to use it in a middle seat, but actually the vest crash tests pretty well, I guess it does a good job distributing crash forces across a childs body.

Archived