Want to see Statue of Liberty as we leave

DeSto

We have early seating, and with the QM2 leaving New York at 5:30 p.m., is it possible to see the the scenery (where are the best places to stand?) and still make it to dinner in reasonable time?

We have early seating, and with the QM2 leaving New York at 5:30 p.m., is it possible to see the the scenery (where are the best places to stand?) and still make it to dinner in reasonable time?

DeSto, there is so much help on these boards, so I hope an experienced cruiser will weigh in here.

Because I have a similar question, I did a search and found this thread....perhaps it will be of some help to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=105929

Pincus,

Thanks so much - it helps a lot. I've posted a couple of questions, and don't seem to get many replies. Started thinking I'm doing something wrong, but maybe I just need to be more patient. I know we'll have a wonderful time anyway - we always do!

From my experience in May, no you can't do both.

We were delayed in leaving and didn't sail until almost 6 p.m. I stayed up on deck until 6:15 and then went down to the dining room. There were a lot of empty seats that night.

We didn't pass the statue until after 6:30. Since my table overlooked the port side I missed it. (Good excuse to sail again.)

Thanks so much, lannp,

Seeing this departure is one of the "musts" for me.

Can you tell us of any other dining venues open that first evening, other than room service? We also usually book first seating. I did try a search for this , but found conflicting information.

Many thanks.

Pincus

Just checked my Daily Programme which is in your cabin when you board. The King's Court serves a Buffet dinner 6-11 pm on sailing day. I doubt that would change from trip to trip.

Just checked my Daily Programme which is in your cabin when you board. The King's Court serves a Buffet dinner 6-11 pm on sailing day. I doubt that would change from trip to trip.

Thanks very much. A buffet will do very nicely.

I've made several calls to Cunard Customer Service; none of those resulted in concrete information such as yours.

Thanks again.

Pincus

DeSto -

My friends and I sailed eastbound transatlantic on the QM2 last July. As we had an early seating in Brittania, we decided to skip sailaway and noticed the many empty tables. We asked our waiter if those people would miss their dinner that night and were told no, it is a common occurance and that they will seat people later than usual on the first night because of this. As dinner progressed and somewhat past the usual cutoff, we saw people arrive and be seated. I'm not sure how long they let this go on. I'm sure not too long, since it would eventually interfere too much with late seating.

We were understandably a bit upset, since we would have done like the rest and gone to sailaway regardless. I hear it's a spectacular sight! Oh well! Live and learn!

KK

DeSto -

My friends and I sailed eastbound transatlantic on the QM2 last July. As we had an early seating in Brittania, we decided to skip sailaway and noticed the many empty tables. We asked our waiter if those people would miss their dinner that night and were told no, it is a common occurance and that they will seat people later than usual on the first night because of this. As dinner progressed and somewhat past the usual cutoff, we saw people arrive and be seated. I'm not sure how long they let this go on. I'm sure not too long, since it would eventually interfere too much with late seating.

We were understandably a bit upset, since we would have done like the rest and gone to sailaway regardless. I hear it's a spectacular sight! Oh well! Live and learn!

KK

KK, this is good news. Thank you for posting.

I'm sorry you missed this sight -- perhaps that's a reason to do another crossing.

Pincus

Archived