Taxi cost to see apes in Gibraltar

Hi, we are going to Gibraltar in July and have been looking at tours to the caves and to see the apes. For 2 hours they cost around £32 per adult. Does anyone know how much a taxi costs from the port up to the apes / caves and back again? We might do it ourselves rather than join an organised trip. Just weighing up all our options at the moment.

Can't help with cost,but if you go to see the apes make sure not to have any sunglasses on top of your head or on for that matter that you really care about and nothing loose they can grab because they will,and you just may not get it back. I have seen camera's go as well.Just an FYI.

Currently, about £22 / €25 per person in a full vehicle. That's probably four in a taxi, mebbe 8 or 10 in a minibus (van). Taxi marshals sort folk into shared vehicles at the quayside. If you wanted the taxi for just two I'd not be surprised if it was double.

I'm pretty certain the ship's tour is exactly the same tour, same inclusion of admission charges & in exactly the same minibuses cos that's the size limit for the road, and the route is one-way. And probably with the same options of being returned to the ship or dropped at the bottom of Main Street, by Casemates Square.

So it makes very little odds whether you book with the ship, or hire a little more cheaply at the quayside.

JB :)

Hi there.

I will be there at the end of this month and am looking into the same thing. I learned that there is a cable car to take you up that is about a mile from where the ships dock. We plan on walking down from the top to St. Michael's Cave and then to the Apes den. The Main street isn't far from there and we plan on wandering back that way. I doubt the taxi to the cable car station would be very expensive since it is just about a mile.

Check this out. http://www.**************.com/Gibraltar-02-15-2012.pdf

Be warned that the queue for the cable car can be very long. I was there in July last year the same time as a cruise ship and the wait was going to be well over an hour. Instead we jumped into one of the van tours. Well worth it.

Wendy

It's something over a mile & a half, about a 30 minute walk.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=North+Mole+Road&daddr=Red+Sands+Road&hl=en&ll=36.141029,-5.359097&spn=0.01972,0.04755&sll=36.142415,-5.356135&sspn=0.01972,0.04755&geocode=FUWVJwIdnyKu_w%3BFcBXJwId31Su_w&oq=Alameda++Gibraltar&t=h&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&z=15

As wendyam's post there can be horrendous lines for the cablecar unless you're early and go up before the hordes of trippers who visit from Spain every day.

And a risk that in moderately high winds the cablecar service is suspended (pun intended).

The cablecar is preferred over the taxis/vans by folk who like to hike at the top of the Rock

JB :)

Hi,

I visited Gibraltar on a cruise last May, I organised a trip in Gibraltar for a group from my Roll Call, it was with a company called Gibraltar Inside Out Rock Tours.

This was the best tour I was ever on, Carl the owner is from Gibraltar and his knowledge of the Island was fantastic, we seen all the sights, did not have to queue anywhere, the tour bus was so comfortable. This tour was the talk of the Cruise Ship for the whole cruise.

Visit Carl's website and see what he has available when you are in Gibraltar, you wont be disappointed.

Willger

:)

We werein Gibraltar in October and used GibTours. You can see their site on www.gibtours.com or get info@gibtours.com

Lisa was our guide and was fantastic. It was about 18 Euros per person and we had 6 people in our van. It was the best port stop.

I would definately use them again. We just were lucky enough to find them when we got off the ship.

Many thanks for all your comments. They are really useful. I remember when we were in Gibraltar once before, we walked into town and saw the cable car entrance. The queue was so long, people were turning away. I guess you just have to time it right.

Archived