scuba diving on cruise

irishreefer

Hi, just curious if this is an option on the Conquest. We dont have our own equipment, except for snorkle, mask, and fins. We will be cruising for the first time with family and want to dive the ports. Will the cruise line set the dives up for us? How much notice do they need? TIA Tina

The cruise lines almost always offer scuba diving excursions and these trips usually often include the gear rental. They are more convenient than making your own arrangements, but they are usually more expensive. It seems that more often than not, the ships dive trips are on larger boats with bigger groups of diver doing dives geared to the once a year cruise diver.

You can wait until you get on the ship to sign up for the scuba excursions.

We all don't know the itinerary of the Conquest, so it would help us to know which islands you will be visiting, especially if you want recommendations for private operators.

On some cruises, the dive excursions book up pretty fast. If you are going to take the ship's dive trip, reserve it as far in advance as possible. If you have a mask that fits well, I would recommend taking it. My experience has been that most rental masks suck. Unless you are really in love with your fins, leave them (too bulky). You don't really need a snorkel to dive. Have a great trip.

Thanks, we are newly certified and feel better in groups, so the large amount of people doesnt bother us. We will be going to Jamaica, caymans, and cozumel, all great diving places. We dont feel comfortable enough yet to schedule outside the ship. Nice to know we can rent bc and equipment. I will check into advanced reservations. Thankyou.....Tina

All needed rental equipment is usually included with the ship's excursion.

I think you will enjoy the ship's dive excursions. If you make another trip to the Caribbean, you will have the experience of diving these three places and might feel more comfortable looking into an independant dive trip operator or perhaps even a private charter. Personally, I think both ship's dive excursions and private operators are fun. However, after doing both, you might see why a lot of people prefer to go in smaller groups. You may prefer the larger group... Who knows?

Thanks, we are newly certified and feel better in groups, so the large amount of people doesnt bother us. We will be going to Jamaica, caymans, and cozumel, all great diving places. We dont feel comfortable enough yet to schedule outside the ship. Nice to know we can rent bc and equipment. I will check into advanced reservations. Thankyou.....Tina
I think you are making the best choice for yourself. Have a great time.

Hey tina,

It looks like you have an answer, but heres a thought.

We were on the Conquest in Sept 03...The water's great...super clear in both Cozumel and Cayman. Cozumel is known for drift diving (not my Fav) but the air lasted forever. Now, Cayman is a great dive. Bob Soto is who I used both times I have been there. They have a video package with background music from start to finish. Two different groups..100ft plus and and a shallow at 45 to 50 ft. That's a great dive. Both are two tanks with a off gas at about 30 minutes or so

Have fun

Lloyd

Ps During the mississippi run they can not use the stablizers so it can get wobbley the first night dinner

Archived