Cell phones how do they work in eastern carribean

losuds63

My cell phone is a verizon wireless just wondering how they work or is there a dead cell for a few days or will it work down there please anyone with info and past experience please leave a note about this subject:)

My cell phone is a verizon wireless just wondering how they work or is there a dead cell for a few days or will it work down there please anyone with info and past experience please leave a note about this subject:)

My cell works in Puerto Rico, St Thomas with no extra charges. It really depends on what plan you have, I would call and check with your cell provider. Which islands are you calling on(no pun intended)

I called Verizon and asked if my phone would work in Mexico and Belize. They said it would work, but the per minute charge is high. I downloaded a VoIP on my laptop so that I can make calls over my laptop for .02 per minute. Of course, Carnival Internet charges would also apply, but it is still cheaper than any other option.

Bridget

I called Verizon and asked if my phone would work in Mexico and Belize. They said it would work, but the per minute charge is high. I downloaded a VoIP on my laptop so that I can make calls over my laptop for .02 per minute. Of course, Carnival Internet charges would also apply, but it is still cheaper than any other option.

Bridget

Just wait until you get off the ship and buy a calling card. They are very inexpensive.

Did Freeport/Nassau in March. Lost service (Verizon) just off coast of FL and didn't get it back until pulling back into JAX. But ya know what? I didn't care!! Figured if someone really really needed me, I'd left ship name etc. with my mother :p

Long story short - never got a call!! Four days of blissful silence:D

Karen

Ours have always worked in ports - eastern and western except for Aruba - but never out at sea. I usually have service for about 20 minutes after we leave a port. We have Cingular (used to be AT&T) nationwide plan.

Hope this helps! But I would check with your carrier to be sure ;)

when we went on our cruise a few weeks ago, I packed ours (don't forget the charger!) "just incase". well, as disembarkation was a NIGHTMARE and we were obviously going to be missing our flight (1:15), I was on the phone with Delta (to get a later flight) while we were still in line, waiting to get through Customs. it ended up being quite handy to have.:D and just turning it off, if you don't want to receive unwanted calls, would work just as well.:)

Will Cingular (At&t) work in western caribbean??

What ports are you stopping at? On are cruise in may to Western we stopped at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. We got signel in all of this ports but need a country code to call out from Cozumel. In Grand Cayman we got a Cingular signel.

Later,

ScubaJohn02

My cell phone worked in St. Thomas. I didn't check the other ports. We had left our two year old back at home. The first time we had ever left her so I had to call and check up on her. (FYI... her part of the conversation, "I having fun Mommy." She did better than I did.) Hopefully there won't be any additional charges from St. Thomas as when I checked with my cell company they said if the phone worked it would be covered under my plan.

What ports are you stopping at? On are cruise in may to Western we stopped at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. We got signel in all of this ports but need a country code to call out from Cozumel. In Grand Cayman we got a Cingular signel.

Later,

ScubaJohn02

Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand caymon and Cozumel

I have Sprint and it worked fine in San Juan and St. Thomas last week...I called Sprint before I left (as my grandmother had been admitted to ICU in the hospital and I need to be in contact with my parents....) and was told there is no "extra" charge from either island, I did not have any service in st marteen. By the way my grandmother is home and doing Ok now:)

Archived