Newbie... Do we need to book shows in advance?

Hi- We're thinking of seeing a show with our kids (5 and 7), but not sure when and really don't want to overbook ourselves in advance... Is it recommended to book shows in advance, or could we wait and do it once we're on the ship? What about just walking in to a show- is that feasible or would they be booked up/no good seats?

You should definitely book shows in advance if you are set on seeing them. There is very limited seating for all shows. Cirque tends to sell out before sailing - even the concierge couldn't get us in at embarkation for any shows the whole week on the Epic. Rock of Ages (apparently PG13 or R rated) and Burn the Floor are only shown a few nights, and they tend to book out long before the show as well. I don't know about the Nickelodeon shows, but I would imagine they would be very limited as well. There will be a stand-by line for each show to fill no-show seats; we tried once for a late night comedy show and were turned away. You can make reservations and then try to rebook on board if you change your mind, but chances are you won't be able to - always worth a shot though. In the scope of things, it's really only booking a couple of nights for a couple hours each, leaving the rest of the trip open for "whatever"..

Robin

I am concerned that now the shows have to be booked in advance. When can you do that? What happened to the concept of freestyle?

It's only for the three main shows (plus the kid's shows? and the comedy show which doesn't always book up in advance) on the Breakaway and Epic, the other ships don't need reservations. You can make them 45 days in advance (55 days in a suite). It's not that big a deal - the shows are only on a few nights (days for kids shows I think) during the week and the theater is small, certainly won't fit everyone on the ship.. It's a different concept than the other classes of ships, that have the same show twice per night in a theater that seats about half the guests.. These are more "Broadway style" if that makes sense.

robin

Hi- We're thinking of seeing a show with our kids (5 and 7), but not sure when and really don't want to overbook ourselves in advance... Is it recommended to book shows in advance, or could we wait and do it once we're on the ship? What about just walking in to a show- is that feasible or would they be booked up/no good seats?

You won't want to bring the kids to Rock of Ages (mature themes) or Burn the Floor (they will be bored). Leave them at the Kids Club (I'm sure that's what the kids would prefer), and be sure you reserve your shows in advance or you will be sitting in the back when they let you in 10 minutes prior to show time. Be sure to arrive early to get the best seats.

Archived