Hopewell Rocks vs. St. Martins

I'm Cruising in June and renting a car. I was wondering which of these two options would be better, or what you would recommend.

Hopewell looks more active in terms of things to do, ocean walking etc., but is further away from Saint Johns (2 hrs). I would get there halfway through high tide, but with the ship I'd only be able to spend 4 hrs there max, because of the drive back.

St. Martins looks closer (1 hr) but not as active, although the Fundy Trail is near; I'm not sure how their sea-floor walking compares to Hopewell. The closer distance reassures me a bit, but not sure if it is as underwhelming as their website makes it appear.

Has anyone gone on either or both and would make any suggestions or recommendations?

I would also like to hit up the reversing falls, but their effects will be in the afternoon as high tide rushes in, so I'm more concerned as what to do before the high tide rushes in around 2-3pm.

Thanks everyone!

I'm Cruising in June and renting a car. I was wondering which of these two options would be better, or what you would recommend.

Hopewell looks more active in terms of things to do, ocean walking etc., but is further away from Saint Johns (2 hrs). I would get there halfway through high tide, but with the ship I'd only be able to spend 4 hrs there max, because of the drive back.

St. Martins looks closer (1 hr) but not as active, although the Fundy Trail is near; I'm not sure how their sea-floor walking compares to Hopewell. The closer distance reassures me a bit, but not sure if it is as underwhelming as their website makes it appear.

Has anyone gone on either or both and would make any suggestions or recommendations?

I would also like to hit up the reversing falls, but their effects will be in the afternoon as high tide rushes in, so I'm more concerned as what to do before the high tide rushes in around 2-3pm.

Thanks everyone!

The reversing falls is better described as rapids. To fully appreciate the phenomenon you should see it in both directions on same day. Having said that as a local my advice is to not go out of your way or plan your day around it as it is underwhelming (unless you are doing an adventure excursion there such as jet boat ride of zip lining)

As for hopewell or St martins - hopewell is a very beautiful drive, but if you are arriving half way through high tide I don't think you can walk on the bay floor. Same goes for st martins - if the tide is in its not as interesting (for example seeing fishing boats on sea floor with no water) - and you won't be able to explore the sea caves if the tide is in.

If you go to hopewell, a quick stop at Cape Enrage on the way would be very scenic with nice photo ops. (Google for more info)

Made a critical and boneheaded mistake:

I'm going in 1/2 through LOW tide (it is at 945ish AST) and the earliest I'd get there would be around 11/12 Atlantic Standard Time

Would any of your information change then?

Hopewell:

Walking Times 6:29-1:39 (Low is at 9:59)

St. Martins: Low is at 9:46

Made a critical and boneheaded mistake:

I'm going in 1/2 through LOW tide (it is at 945ish AST) and the earliest I'd get there would be around 11/12 Atlantic Standard Time

Would any of your information change then?

You can fully take advantage of low tide at st martins - very interesting at low tide. If you are traveling with children, they may enjoy the nearby miniature horses (even take them for a ride for a few dollars). Seafood chowder on beach would be nice.

For Hopewell you can walk on sea floor 3 hours before and 3 hours after low tide and I think 2 hours is too fast to get there (what if you get caught behind a farm tractor for a bit in Albert County?). So if you want to go to Hopewell I would say it would be for the beautiful drive and enjoy hopewell rocks without being able to walk sea floor. You can do kayaking instead if that interests you.

It's a tough decision!

Edit: I reread your post and see you can get there at 11:00 AM - you can still walk sea floor at that time and witness tide "filling up" the area. Also I should mention St Martins is free whereas hopewell ranges from $7.75 to $9.00 per person entry fee

I am contemplating this very issue as we will be there in late September.From what I could gather, it is further than 2hrs(3 to 3 1/2 hrs) to the Hopewell Rocks.This has me leaning to St Martin.

I am contemplating this very issue as we will be there in late September.From what I could gather, it is further than 2hrs(3 to 3 1/2 hrs) to the Hopewell Rocks.This has me leaning to St Martin.

Without stopping its about 2.25 hours; however, there are times you'll want to stop for a photo op or an Alma sticky bun - so 3 hours is probably reasonable. You drive through a National Park enroute.

Archived