Loved Celebrity, will we like MSC?

PuppyLove

We have cruised on Carnival, NCL, Princess and Celebrity. I think this is also the order of which we enjoyed most. We prefer a more laid back cruise experience, plus the better food, service, etc we found on celebrity... We are in our mid 30's so I am told that we might be a little younger than the average on MSC, but that was the case on our last Celebrity cruise also, didn't bother us any.

We are looking at a 7 day Carribean cruise, which is shorter than we normally like, we have started to prefer at least 10+ days but the price is right on the MSC cruise we are looking at:)

What is important to us? Relaxing!! I am not looking for broadway production shows, not looking for late night partying, or towel animals, or games by the pool, but the food has to be good!! We like to eat in the dining room for lunch and dinner, don't care much about the buffett or grills. Is the dining room at least comparable to Celebrity?

any advice?

We have cruised on Carnival, NCL, Princess and Celebrity. I think this is also the order of which we enjoyed most. We prefer a more laid back cruise experience, plus the better food, service, etc we found on celebrity... We are in our mid 30's so I am told that we might be a little younger than the average on MSC, but that was the case on our last Celebrity cruise also, didn't bother us any.

We are looking at a 7 day Carribean cruise, which is shorter than we normally like, we have started to prefer at least 10+ days but the price is right on the MSC cruise we are looking at:)

What is important to us? Relaxing!! I am not looking for broadway production shows, not looking for late night partying, or towel animals, or games by the pool, but the food has to be good!! We like to eat in the dining room for lunch and dinner, don't care much about the buffett or grills. Is the dining room at least comparable to Celebrity?

any advice?

I am confused! You say your preference in order ar Carnival, NCL, Princess and Celebrity and then you delineate what is not important and it sounds like a Carnival advertisement! Was this backwards?

For me, the order of preference using those 4 examples would be Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Carnival.

I am sailing with MSC on Friday so cannot comment yet but there are several cruisers on this board who wrote extensive reviews. I'll be posting upon my return.

sorry, I meant least favorite- to - most favorite. didn't mean to be confusing:o

I did my first carnival cruise some 15 years ago. OK at the time, but have a feeling I wouldn't care that much for it now. NCL did the old Norway back in the late 80's. She was great!! Then did one of the newer NCL ships and liked the Norway better. The Princess line I have done the Grand and a 10 day on the Sun, Better. Celebrity have done a 10 and 11 day. Hooked :D That was our favorite by far. I guess I am just wondering how MSC compares to Celebrity. I only get one vacation a year and I want to make sure I enjoy it to the fullest.

We have tried other vacations recently, we went to Turks & Caicos & Grand Cayman 10 days each the last couple of years and had a grand time, but decided from here on it is cruising for us. We really liked the whole shipboard experience and I have always said I would be happy taking a sail to nowhere if It lasted a week at least. Perhaps we will try one of the Trans-Atlantic in the future.

Puppylove - Your favorites and mine are identical. I usually cruise Celebrity but there was such a good price on Opera in January I jumped on it. I'm hoping you'll get some answers, I'm wondering the same thing.

Terri

Among others I was on Constellation (Celebrity), Melody, Lirica, Opera(MSC).

As for relaxing, the older MSC-ships (Melody, Monterey, Rhapsody) are less soundproof as the newer ones, so more noise around. Also on the newer ones there are many more places for relaxing, especialy the relaxing-area near the sauna's/steamrooms.

On the newer ships, especialy Lirica and Opera there are a lot of places where to relax. But.... there are also poolgames, disco, lounge parties, etc., but you can avoid this.

Food,.. in my opinion food on MSC is NOT comparable with Celebrity. The choice of fish is bigger om MSC, the wonderfull pasta's/risotto's are not on Celebrity. There is a big difference between the preparing of food on MSC and Celebrity. It is all more the Italian way. Other breads, soups, salads, preparing veal, preparing porc, this is all on the (north)Italian way. Of course there is every day choice of chickenbreast, steak, etc., but -in my opinion- you can get this all around, and you do not have to go.

If you want something else you must try MSC.

Henri.

Archived