Embarking with a stroller

RCI_FADM_76

A question came to my mind in regard to boarding the ship with a stroller. We’ll be taking a cruise with our (eventual) 7 month old out of Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas. It is something that I have ever really paid attention to, but should I expect any issues at embarkation with our child in her stroller? I’m just thinking in regard to all the security, metal detectors, and process that one has to go through to board. Should I expect a hassle or is it a non-issue? I searched some older threads that suggested that strollers had to go through x-ray – is this still the case? Any actual experience would be much appreciated!

Just sailed out of Baltimore last week. I asked If I had to take mine out of the stroller & he said no, he was fine and to just walk through the security detector with him in there. When we cruised out of NYC in 2010 with my daughter who was 10 months they made us take her out.

Just sailed out of Baltimore last week. I asked If I had to take mine out of the stroller & he said no, he was fine and to just walk through the security detector with him in there. When we cruised out of NYC in 2010 with my daughter who was 10 months they made us take her out.

I wonder if it ends up being at the discretion of the security detail on hand. Fundamentally, it will all boil down to which stroller we decide to bring - which I think will be the umbrella stroller - not the full size.

I agree that it depends on the individual at security - we've been asked to fold it and been allowed to have it be "wanded". I just make sure not to have anything loose in the basket so it's easy enough to fold if I have to. I've cruise with some monster-sized strollers - if it doesn't fit, they'll wand it and may or may not require the child to get out. I would not choose a stroller based on getting it through security, but on your overall-convenience and the child's comfort.

Best,

Mia

I agree that it depends on the individual at security - we've been asked to fold it and been allowed to have it be "wanded". I just make sure not to have anything loose in the basket so it's easy enough to fold if I have to. I've cruise with some monster-sized strollers - if it doesn't fit' date=' they'll wand it and may or may not require the child to get out. I would not choose a stroller based on getting it through security, but on your overall-convenience and the child's comfort.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

My main thought was that the regular stroller doesn't really collapse and there is no way it would fit thru one of the x-ray machines.

I would bring your regular one so kiddo is most comfy for port. Bring the one with the best sun shade to keep baby out of the sun. We travel with a Baby Jogger City Mini (for 4 year old) and Peg Perego P3 (for 2 year old) because they have huge sun canopies.

If it doesn't fit through the x-ray, so be it. My car seats don't fit through the xray, and they still manage to check them through security.

I always bring the lightest one we have because we rarely use it anyways. I don't even bring one for the 3 yr old, and a lightweight one for the 2 yr old. I'm all about traveling as light as possible. Especially in the cabins, not much room. Next year when they are 3 & 4 I won't even bring one at all, we hardly used it last time.

I believe wheelchairs are manually inspected and don't have be put through the x-ray machine (for obvious reasons). I'd expect they can do the same for large strollers.

When we left out of Charleston we did collapse ours, but it was easy to do so. I'd take whatever stroller you feel most comfortable with and not worry about security.

We are taking DD's small umbrella stroller next week for Allure. We purchased it for $20 at Target to take to Disney (much cheaper than renting, easier to collapse for tram and no stress if someone walks off with it). She also has a Trunki (little ride on suitcase) so we're not sure which she'll be riding in/on at security. Either way I expect for her to have to walk through security like the rest of us (1 parent, DD and then the other) with suitcase & stroller through x-ray.

I believe wheelchairs are manually inspected and don't have be put through the x-ray machine (for obvious reasons). I'd expect they can do the same for large strollers.

Excellent point. I hadn't considered that.

We cruised on Freedom last January and had an issue prior to getting through security. Even though we were Platinum, they wouldn't let us through the Platinum line with a stroller (Platinum line was much much shorter). So we had to wait an extra half hour + to go through the regular line for security. I was so upset about this...had our 11 month old with us.

We cruised on Freedom last January and had an issue prior to getting through security. Even though we were Platinum, they wouldn't let us through the Platinum line with a stroller (Platinum line was much much shorter). So we had to wait an extra half hour + to go through the regular line for security. I was so upset about this...had our 11 month old with us.

Totally a non-issue. We've boarded 3 times with little ones in strollers and the staff is so used to it, they handle it very well. We're always re-directed to the elevators at soon as they see us coming, never any hassle.

Strange. Isn't security before the check in stations anyway? At least out of Bayonne (if i remember correctly) everyone went through security at one place then went to their respective check in areas.

Still rough, especially with your little one in tow.

Strange. Isn't security before the check in stations anyway? At least out of Bayonne (if i remember correctly) everyone went through security at one place then went to their respective check in areas.

Still rough, especially with your little one in tow.

Port Canaveral had two lines when you initially enter the building after dropping off bags with the porters. An expedited (much shorter) line for Platinum and above, then a separate line for all others. It was disappointing and inconvenient that we weren't able to fully utilize our Platinum status to make getting to the security line a breeze. :( If you're traveling with a stroller just beware that this may happen to you as well, or better yet maybe it won't and you'll get through the line with your kiddos much quicker :)

Archived