MSC Preziosa - Dress Code

Lynnog81

I know there is an abundance of various threads, posts etc re dress code on cruise ships. However as a first time cruiser sailing on Preziosa in two weeks I am wondering how dressy do you have to be. Mainly regarding MDR and dress code for men. My other half dresses well but like many men he would be a shirt and jean wearer with smart shoes. Are dark jeans a definate no go to MDR and would trousers be a must? He does not have an issue with this but we just want to be prepared before we go and go holiday shopping! For myself I will have plenty of dresses with me, smart casual but in no way would they be cocktail dresses, I'm guessing this is ok?

PS any more reviews, tips, info on Preziosa? still very limited at the moment I see :o/

So excited about my first cruise :o)

Lynn, Ireland x

I know there is an abundance of various threads, posts etc re dress code on cruise ships. However as a first time cruiser sailing on Preziosa in two weeks I am wondering how dressy do you have to be. Mainly regarding MDR and dress code for men. My other half dresses well but like many men he would be a shirt and jean wearer with smart shoes. Are dark jeans a definate no go to MDR and would trousers be a must? He does not have an issue with this but we just want to be prepared before we go and go holiday shopping! For myself I will have plenty of dresses with me, smart casual but in no way would they be cocktail dresses, I'm guessing this is ok?

PS any more reviews, tips, info on Preziosa? still very limited at the moment I see :o/

So excited about my first cruise :o)

Lynn, Ireland x

Hi Lynn,

You will probably find quite a variety on board. 'Gala nights' are meant to be formal (yes cocktail dress & black tie) but not enforced and possibly only half-practiced depending upon the guests on that itinerary, other nights will be casual or informal. Informal is meant to be somewhere between formal and casual.

When I travel hand-luggage only for a cruise, I find it easiest just to wear a suit every night regardless. It dresses up or down as required.

I suppose the strange thing about a cruise is that the dress code varies by evening. Be prepared to dress up and down!

I hope this has been of some use. Others step in.

Tim.

Hi Lynn we are also sailing on the Preziosa in just over 2 weeks...7th June..are you on her at that time? Like you a little bit unsure what to take for my other half..he does have a dinner suit but do not want him to look out of place if not many wearing them, we sailed with RCL last year our first cruise and some had dinner suits but I was suprised it wasn't a lot more..so still undecided whether to take it or just an ordinary suit.

Geraldine

Based on my experiences on board MSC Splendida in April, I would say 40%-50% of the gentlemen wore dinner suits on gala nights (and a significant number wore suits every nights). Not so sure about summer time though. But like Skipper Tim has mentioned, I do think a suit is perfectly acceptable on all nights.

That also allows the ladies to have more luggage spaces :)

Thanks for the replies folks. I guess what i'm really trying to ask is do you HAVE to wear a suit to dinner? We are not intending on going to the gala nights, I'm just talking general Main Dining Room nightly for dinner what would by boyfriend be expected to wear. He would most definately not be intending on bring a full suit with him. Are shirts and casual high street type trousers acceptable to wear. Or dark coloured jeans?

My sister and her husband cruised with Royal Caribbean a few times and from what she remembers her husband did wear jeans in main dining room.

So wondering how strict MSC are on dress code. Can a man wear a shirt, slacks and shoes to dinner (on non gala nights?).

Yes Gerimay we are cruising from Barcelona on 7th June, countdown in on :o

Hi Guys,

I'm heading on the Preziosa this Friday. For the Gala nights I have shorter style formal dresses. Last year on RCI I had 2 full length dresses. They fitted in nicely but there were lots of ppl not dressed up. I've hear MSC are slightly less formal. My husband worse a nice shirt & suit trousers last year & intends doing the same this year.

Thanks for the replies folks. I guess what i'm really trying to ask is do you HAVE to wear a suit to dinner? We are not intending on going to the gala nights, I'm just talking general Main Dining Room nightly for dinner what would by boyfriend be expected to wear. He would most definately not be intending on bring a full suit with him. Are shirts and casual high street type trousers acceptable to wear. Or dark coloured jeans?

My sister and her husband cruised with Royal Caribbean a few times and from what she remembers her husband did wear jeans in main dining room.

So wondering how strict MSC are on dress code. Can a man wear a shirt, slacks and shoes to dinner (on non gala nights?).

Yes Gerimay we are cruising from Barcelona on 7th June, countdown in on :o

Hi Lynn again, BF should wear what he will feel comfortable in. MSC inform guests of dress codes as a suggestion but never enforce them - except perhaps shorts or a vest wouldn't be allowed at dinner.

I wouldn't miss the gala dinners - they are the highlight to me and many others. The food is better and everyone looks better dressed up. All the front-line staff will be in dinner suits too and the whole ship takes on a different atmosphere.

Men have it easy. One plain dark suit is perhaps the most versatile thing in man's wardrobe. If you have the luggage allowance, I implore him to take a suit, in case he feels more comfortable in it at the table. He can also wear the jacket with jeans/chinos the trousers with a sweater etc. etc.

But no, in answer to you overriding question, MSC will not enforce any dress code. It really is personal choice.

Long sleeve and a tie is acceptable for gala, if that's what he is comfortable with.

As to the comparison with RCI, I personally think they are both on the same par.

Just be warned that there should have two gala nights on a seven nights cruise. One is actually what MSC terms as Formal in the past, and is in my opinion less dress up as the "real" gala, even the waitstaff dressed up nicer. The gala should be the one on a day where the guests have more time to prepare.

Hi Lynn

Yep coutdown is on, are you going to Barcelona for a few days before you board the ship or flying out that morning. We are flying out from Dublin that morning with aer lingus as we have been to Barcelona before. Im still undecided what suit to take for hubby to wear dinner suit or just and ordinary one..and as for myself don't know what dresses to take yet lol..decisions decisions, but so looking forward to my second cruise. I absolutely loved last years on RCL but thought I would give MSC a go this year as their prices was very good.

A very excited Geraldine lol

I'm onboard a MSc ship at the moment a d never saw anyone wearing jeans in the MCR on the formal m

Night last night. Most mean were in suits (dark lounge suits rather than DJs). Some wore a tie, some not. A few without jackets, just smart trousers and shirt. On our 2 other nights which jhave both been casual, again can't recLl seeing anyone in jeans. During the day, yes loads but not really in the evening. As Tim and others have said, they don't enforce the suggested dress code so won't refuse entry for not adhering to it.

• 1 month later...
Hi sailing on the preziosa on the 26th of July first time cruiser with my husband and our two teenagers wondering what the dress code is like on the ship and what were the best excursions.

Hi Daydreamer71, i can't help you re dress code from personal experience, as we haven't sailed yet and will be with you on the ship July 23-30. I have heard there are some informal nights, some moderate, and some formal, and the formal night attire ranges from sport coats to tuxes (although the tuxes seem the exception to the rule). Otherwise during the day I think it is pretty relaxed but I think they request you don't wear bathing attire in the indoor dining areas.

As for excursions, we are going with the ship in Tunisia to Carthage and in Genoa to Portofino. We hired a car to take us to the Amalfi coast while in Naples. We also have a private tour inBarcelona for half the day and plan to spend the other half exploring Sagrada Familia and other sights. Marseilles will just be a relaxed day, maybe take Le Petit Train to Notre Dame or Old town. We get on/off in Messina so don't have an excursion planned there.

Hope we get to meet you on the ship!

Just returned from the Preziosa.

As for dress code, they had three types - gala- formal - saw many suits and tuxes for men. 90% of men dressed up

informal and casual - both for us meant the same. Wore pants (linen or cotton) with collared shirts, no tie, no coat

I think officially the informal night asked for a coat, while causal didn't.

There were people with jeans, but not many. Not that I would recommend wearing jeans in the Mediterranean in the summer anyways. No shorts at dinner at all.

Excursions - Messina- we took a cab - 200euros to Taromina which is about half an hour away, saw the Greek theatre, town and back to Messina to look around and a walk back to the boat.

- Marseille - the petit train was a nice ride up to Notre Dame

- Barcelona - the HoHo bus- was very good, don't miss Sagrada Familia - check out becoming family members. It cost us 38 euros for four adults and included free rides up the tower. Much better than buying any other package

Archived