My Southern Caribbean Cruise on Carnival Valor

vc562894

Hello All,

I just returned from cruising the Southern Caribbean on the Carnival Valor and I had to write my review while it's free in my mind. We had a FANTASTIC time and wish I could of done a B2B cruise! I traveled with my DH, Mom, and Dad.

We departed PHL at 7:40am and were scheduled to arrive at 11:28am at SJU. We had an smooth flight and landed on time. I must admit after reading horror stories of SJU airport I was apprehensive to travel to it. I don't know if I am used to worse since my home airport is PHL (Philadelphia) or if I was just lucky but it might of been the smoothest flight and arrival EVER.

We got off of our flight at 11:35am, grabbed our luggage and were in a taxi before I knew it. The taxi fare from SJU to port was $21 (for four guests) and $1 per bag.

945126_10100444553463408_560016108_n.jpg

Our plan had been arrive, head to ship, check in, drop off our luggage, grab lunch and head out to San Juan to explore. Well the taxi dropped us off outfront of the pier. When we arrived what we thought were obnoxious bag handlers trying to get your tips, were actually pier staff doing their job. We gave them our luggage and headed inside to check in. There might of been 10 people in front of us and 20 counters were open. It was hard to believe. After checking in, you must board the ship to get your photo taken for your S&S card. We boarded the ship, expecting to get right off, but we found out that not only was lunch available already but so were our rooms! A small recap of times: landed 11:35am, grabbed taxi, dropped off luggage, checked in and arrived to our ROOMS all by 12:30pm!! We just kept saying "We can't believe this.. this is so smooth."

After we dropped off some items to our rooms, we met my parents at the Lido deck for lunch and welcome drinks. We had discussed it before hand and had decided to test out the Cheers Program since we knew how much we spent on our October cruise. There is a table set up on the Lido deck and you simply add it to your S&S card. For two people for 7 days it was $804.

We grabbed lunch and had a drink to relax for a little. After lunch, we headed off the boat to head to the forts in San Juan.

We didn't really know where we were going but we didnt have a time schedule so we walked in the direction that we knew the forts were. We found Fort Castillo de San Cristóbal first. It was $5 per person to get a pass for both forts, which we planned on heading to later on. We walked around and explore Fort Castillo de San Cristóbal.

968929_10100444554396538_715679303_n.jpg

942528_10100444554591148_1031886741_n.jpg

254181_10100444555344638_1589822423_n.jpg

After we walked back down the driveway outfront and waited for the trolley which picked up literally at the bottom of the entrance. It was a SLOW trolley ride but saved the walk.

When you visit Castillo San Felipe del Morro, DO NOT GET OFF THE TROLLEY UNTIL IT PUTS YOU AT THE FRONT DOOR. We didn't know it went all the way up and had the walk the entire front walkway. It isn't just long, but slightly slanted and I didn't have on sneakers as I wasnt thinking about all about the walking.

972169_10100444555918488_80051327_n.jpg

We enjoyed ourselves at both of the forts. After leaving the forts, we decided to walk back through Old San Juan.

941267_10100444557180958_546320174_n.jpg

We stopped at our favorite spot from our last cruise: Punto de Vista Restaurant & Bar. Advice: Try their flavor mojitos, they are delicious as well as "buy one, get one." We split an nacho appetizer.

575354_10100444557495328_270911062_n.jpg

After we enjoyed an appetizer and a few drinks, we headed back to the boat to shower and change for dinner. Night one, everyone on board has "FreeStyle Dining" which was nice, so you did not have to be at dinner at a certain time. We headed to dinner, where they sit you wherever there is open space.

At 9:30pm, they had the Munster Drill. After the Munster Drill, we headed up to the Lido Deck to watch the sail away from San Juan.

960209_10100444557854608_1756439693_n.jpg

It wasn't too late of a night as we were all exhausted from our day of traveling!

Day Two: St. Thomas coming up!

Good Morning St. Thomas!

936728_10100444565539208_1924956477_n.jpg

Our plan was to meet at 7:00am for breakfast and be off the ship by 8:15am to head to Red Hook to take the 9am ferry to St. John. Due to miscommunication, DH and I didn't set an alarm (each thought the other had) and woke up at 8am. So we changed the plans to catch the 10am ferry to St. John and we did just that.

We ate breakfast on the Lido deck, grabbed our stuff and walked off to Havensight. There is plenty of signs of where the taxis will pick you up. The taxi to Red Hook is $10pp. It is set by the government (even though I read many times its $8). We got to Red Hook, grabbed round trip tickets (thanks to CC tips) and relaxed for the 10am ferry to arrive. The ferry is $12 roundtrip per person. The roundtrip tickets do NOT have a return time so you can return whenever you would like. The ferry boards around 9:45am and is off the pier by 10am almost exactly.

923473_10100444565873538_1735375486_n.jpg Goodbye St. Thomas.

We arrived to St. John about 20 minutes later and grabbed an open air taxi to Trunk Bay which the taxi was $6pp.

969836_10100444565923438_858563755_n.jpg

We took a short taxi ride from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay.

945206_10100444566327628_1570573544_n.jpg

942930_10100444566367548_353753660_n.jpg

Views from the Taxi ride.

There is a $4 admission fee to enter Trunk Bay.

When you arrive, you will pass a bathhouse of showers, toilets, and changing rooms. After that you will come to the Snack Bar/Grille with picnic tables and the rental hut.

The snorkel gear is $7 to rent a snorkel and mask. Chairs were $10. ***HOWEVER there is a DEPOSIT for everything*** Chairs were $25 a PIECE and snorkel gear was $15 per set. I saw many people walking away because they didn't bring that much extra cash with them and you cannot use your credit card for the deposits. I rented a chair, a mask and snorkel.

232323232%7Ffp543%3B3%3Enu%3D62%3A4%3E938%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D3499349669346nu0mrj

942679_10100444566607068_2030814758_n.jpg This is the chair you rent for $10.

Hello All,

We departed PHL at 7:40am and were scheduled to arrive at 11:28am at SJU. We had an smooth flight and landed on time. I must admit after reading horror stories of SJU airport I was apprehensive to travel to it. I don't know if I am used to worse since my home airport is PHL (Philadelphia) or if I was just lucky but it might of been the smoothest flight and arrival EVER.

DH and I are going to be on the Valor in a few weeks! So stoked as this is our first cruise....I'm so nervous about the flights as we are flying into PHL from YYZ (Toronto, Canada) arriving at 8:23 am and then catching a flight from PHL to SJU at 11:55 am ---scheduled to land at 3:47 pm.....I've never had to catch connecting flights before so I'm praying for a smooth travel day......

Good Morning St. Thomas!

We ate breakfast on the Lido deck, grabbed our stuff and walked off to Havensight. There is plenty of signs of where the taxis will pick you up. The taxi to Red Hook is $10pp. It is set by the government (even though I read many times its $8). We got to Red Hook, grabbed round trip tickets (thanks to CC tips) and relaxed for the 10am ferry to arrive. The ferry is $12 roundtrip per person. The roundtrip tickets do NOT have a return time so you can return whenever you would like. The ferry boards around 9:45am and is off the pier by 10am almost exactly.

Goodbye St. Thomas.

Have you done St. John on your own or with the cruise ship before??? We have an excursion booked with Carnival right now and were wondering how difficult it would be to cancel and do on our own.

We are traveling with our 6 year old son, so we weren't sure.

So glad to see another valor southern Caribbean review since we go in October!

How much time did you spend seeing the forts and exploring OSJ? We are considering doing the steakhouse the first night but don't want to be rushed sightseeing. Thanks

Have you done St. John on your own or with the cruise ship before??? We have an excursion booked with Carnival right now and were wondering how difficult it would be to cancel and do on our own.

We are traveling with our 6 year old son, so we weren't sure.

Check the St. Thomas/St. John thread here at CC: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

There are threads in there that give detailed instructions on how to get to St. John on your own and make it back to the ship in time.

We took the Carnival excursion to get to St. John. I was travelling with my hubby, 2 kids, and my elderly parents - one in a wheelchair. I knew I wanted to go to St. John and was concerned that it would be too much of a hassle to try to do it on our own. Besides, they aren't "beach people" and I knew I wanted to see and explore Trunk Bay.

So, we booked the Snorkel at Trunk Bay excursion with the ship and my parents did the St. John Island Tour with the ship. It would out very well, we all traveled to St. John and back via the ship's ferry. I don't think I could have pulled it off as well if I tried to book this on my own.

Check the St. Thomas/St. John thread here at CC: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

There are threads in there that give detailed instructions on how to get to St. John on your own and make it back to the ship in time.

We took the Carnival excursion to get to St. John. I was travelling with my hubby, 2 kids, and my elderly parents - one in a wheelchair. I knew I wanted to go to St. John and was concerned that it would be too much of a hassle to try to do it on our own. Besides, they aren't "beach people" and I knew I wanted to see and explore Trunk Bay.

So, we booked the Snorkel at Trunk Bay excursion with the ship and my parents did the St. John Island Tour with the ship. It would out very well, we all traveled to St. John and back via the ship's ferry. I don't think I could have pulled it off as well if I tried to book this on my own.

Thanks for the link and info. Much appreciated

DH and I are going to be on the Valor in a few weeks! So stoked as this is our first cruise....I'm so nervous about the flights as we are flying into PHL from YYZ (Toronto, Canada) arriving at 8:23 am and then catching a flight from PHL to SJU at 11:55 am ---scheduled to land at 3:47 pm.....I've never had to catch connecting flights before so I'm praying for a smooth travel day......

Are you flying in the day of? Hope you don't have any problems! :eek:

Hi! We were on this same cruise as well and had a ball! We feel this is the best itinerary Carnival offers and recommend to everyone. Those of you who will be sailing this itinerary will love it for sure. We loved the Valor. We fell in love with St. Lucia and St. Kitts.

I felt like St. Lucia was almost more like a south pacific island, and St. Kitts was so clean and immaculate. Didn't see too much of Barbados as we went out on a speed boat with a small group (hello to the family from Utah if you are reading this!) and swam with the sea turtles..so cool! Been to St. Thomas and St. Johns before. We got off ship in St. Marten and it was just too hot for us (we were too sunburned) so just went back on ship and lounged in the shade near the pool).

Glad you had a great time. Nice review so far.

Excited for this review!! I'm going on the Valor (for the 2nd time) in just 108 days with hubby and a great group of friends. Loving your pictures and can't wait for more!!!

Also, can't wait for one of those mojitos!! or 2 or 3 :D:rolleyes: