Staying in Texas City day before Magic cruise?

We are leaving on the Magic, 9/22. We live in Round Rock (suburb of Austin, just north)

We really don't want to wake up super early and hit the road, and risk getting stranded in traffic somewhere, so we are going to leave the day before the cruise and stay at a hotel.

I had booked with Oxford Inn by NASA but the reviews were getting worse by the day, so I cancelled it and booked Candlewood Suites in Texas City for just 12 bucks more.

We have no idea what Texas City is like. Had anyone stayed there and did anyone, by chance, happen to stay at Candlewood in Texas City?

I live in Clear Lake which is just up the road from Texas City. Love living so close to a port. I believe the Candlewood Suites is right on I-45. You should be fine. They did just open a brand new Outlet Mall there. And if you are in to gambling the Dog Track is also right there.

We got a room in Webster for our November cruise. Wanted to just stay in Galveston, but there's some bike rally that weekend, and hotels are outrageously priced.

Yeah, I hear ya on that.

The prices were high for all the Galveston and surrounding areas for our dates, but I ended up downloading Kayak app and found some decent deals.

We got a room in Webster for our November cruise. Wanted to just stay in Galveston, but there's some bike rally that weekend, and hotels are outrageously priced.

Webster is a nice area. Lots of food and shopping. The Freeway can get a little crazy around Bay Area Blvd and Nasa 1 but a very nice area.

I live in Clear Lake which is just up the road from Texas City. Love living so close to a port. I believe the Candlewood Suites is right on I-45. You should be fine. They did just open a brand new Outlet Mall there. And if you are in to gambling the Dog Track is also right there.

Sweet, we've never been to a dog track. Ill have to see if they have anything scheduled for 9/21.

I'v always stayed at Exit #15 Hampton Inn / Fairfield Inn & BestWestern Inn. You are 15 minutes from the pier. 2 min. from a Wal-mart .... for items you might have forgot before you head out to sea.

Prices run around $100 a night average.

I see the Candlewood is on 146 by the Emmet Lowry Expressway. There is a walmart right there by the expressway and I-45. There is also the Mall of the Mainland right there but it is a small and though I have not been there in a while not great stores available.

But definitely look up Gulf Greyhound Park and put down a few dollars.

I see the Candlewood is on 146 by the Emmet Lowry Expressway. There is a walmart right there by the expressway and I-45. There is also the Mall of the Mainland right there but it is a small and though I have not been there in a while not great stores available.

But definitely look up Gulf Greyhound Park and put down a few dollars.

Yeah I just texted my wife about it. We're gonna check it out when we go. I see they have races at 7pm on that day.

Yeah, that's the Candlewood we are staying at. I like how a basic queen bed room for 75 bucks a night comes with a full kitchen. We can grab some cheap meals for Walmart and eat in the room. It's just us and our 2 year old son.

According to Google, it should only take 20 min to get to "Galveston Park n Cruise," in the morning.

Hi, neighbor! We live up the road from you in Leander and are also sailing on the Magic this summer (7/7). I can't speak to Texas City from personal experience, but I have heard great things about the area. We are doing the same thing- driving down to Galveston the day before. We have 3 kids, so 5 in the family which makes it expensive to do hotels- we either have to do 2 rooms or find a suite. I am paying $279 to stay at the Springhill Marriott Suites in Galveston Saturday night; the only consolation is that our parking for the week is included. Have a great cruise!

Same concern - getting stuck in traffic or a breakdown - so we stayed at the La Quinta Texas City in 2010 the day prior to our Conquest cruise. It was fine, your usual La Quinta, and less expensive than staying on the island. There's lots and lots of the typical restaurants and stores in the area.

We're driving down from Tulsa, and doing the same thing in July. The Galveston rates were ridiculous considering Texas City shows to just be a 20 minute drive away. We booked at the Fairfield Inn and are going to save at least $100 compared to what it would have cost to stay in Galveston.

We are leaving on the Magic, 9/22. We live in Round Rock (suburb of Austin, just north)

We really don't want to wake up super early and hit the road, and risk getting stranded in traffic somewhere, so we are going to leave the day before the cruise and stay at a hotel.

I had booked with Oxford Inn by NASA but the reviews were getting worse by the day, so I cancelled it and booked Candlewood Suites in Texas City for just 12 bucks more.

We have no idea what Texas City is like. Had anyone stayed there and did anyone, by chance, happen to stay at Candlewood in Texas City?

We stayed at the Candlewood in September and loved it. We will always stay there pre-cruise from now on. The staff was so friendly there and it was really clean. They do not serve breakfast but we knew that and brought muffins--there is also a kitchen in each room and they had a pitcher of cold water in the fridge. There were several other nice touches--they even called after we checked in to make sure we were getting settled okay. You made a good choice.

The Candlewood isn't too far from Kemah Boardwalk and there are some nice restaurants and things to do there.

Vicki

We stayed at the Candlewood in September and loved it. We will always stay there pre-cruise from now on. The staff was so friendly there and it was really clean. They do not serve breakfast but we knew that and brought muffins--there is also a kitchen in each room and they had a pitcher of cold water in the fridge. There were several other nice touches--they even called after we checked in to make sure we were getting settled okay. You made a good choice.

The Candlewood isn't too far from Kemah Boardwalk and there are some nice restaurants and things to do there.

Vicki

We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Texas City in July for the same reason - prices on Galveston Island have just sky rocketed! Since we have been to the island multiple times, we don't "need" to be there, although I will miss dinner at Gaido's!!

http://www.hilton.com/search/hp/us/tx/league_city/0/0/0/0/0/0/10?WT.srch=1

http://www.candlewoodsuites.com/hotels/us/en/reservation/searchresult?destination=LEAGUE+CITY%2CTX%2CUnited+States&sitrackingid=307021978&siclientid=1912&dp=true

These are better choices in League City. There is a Walmart close by and a large grocery store, as well as numerous restaurants right there. The Walmart I refer to is on 146 and hotels are located on I-45 in League City. I'm sorry to say this, but Texas City is crime ridden. Lots of drugs and criminal activity. I do believe nearly every hotel along the I-45 corridor in Texas City has been robbed at gun point. In recent years, a hotel clerk was shot. It's hard to explain, but Galveston County really has two distinct sections...Northern Galveston County and Southern Galveston County. Anything south is questionable. Please be careful, especially if you're out at night. The riff raff from the south has slowly but surely been infiltrating the northern part of the county with jackings, robberies, abductions, stealing handbags from grocery carts, and home break ins. True story.

http://www.candlewoodsuites.com/hotels/us/en/reservation/searchresult?destination=LEAGUE+CITY%2CTX%2CUnited+States&sitrackingid=307021978&siclientid=1912&dp=true

These are better choices in League City. There is a Walmart close by and a large grocery store, as well as numerous restaurants right there. The Walmart I refer to is on 146 and hotels are located on I-45 in League City. I'm sorry to say this, but Texas City is crime ridden. Lots of drugs and criminal activity. I do believe nearly every hotel along the I-45 corridor in Texas City has been robbed at gun point. In recent years, a hotel clerk was shot. It's hard to explain, but Galveston County really has two distinct sections...Northern Galveston County and Southern Galveston County. Anything south is questionable. Please be careful, especially if you're out at night. The riff raff from the south has slowly but surely been infiltrating the northern part of the county with jackings, robberies, abductions, stealing handbags from grocery carts, and home break ins. True story.

I'm sorry, I meant to write that Walmart is on 646, not 146. There is also a Target on the other side of 646.

Texas City is a blue collar City with majority working at the refineries does not make it a bad place. To make out the entire south Galveston County as crime ridden is false. There are more problems in Houston and the wealthier areas in Harris County. The "riff raff' is from all over with most from the Houston area.

There is always crime of opportunity so one should always be aware of their surroundings anywhere in the world.

Texas City is a blue collar City with majority working at the refineries does not make it a bad place. To make out the entire south Galveston County as crime ridden is false. There are more problems in Houston and the wealthier areas in Harris County. The "riff raff' is from all over with most from the Houston area.

There is always crime of opportunity so one should always be aware of their surroundings anywhere in the world.

:cool:I have stayed in Galveston several times, but next March there will be a large group of us staying in the Texas City area, Hampton Inn just off I-45 I'm sure we should not have nothing to worry about!:)

Just booked the Hampton Inn in Texas City for pre-cruise night before July 1 Triumph. Used my state government ID and got the room for less than $100 with tax. :)

Also booked the EZ Cruise parking for the week. A cruise on our roll call said if you book online in May, use the promo code "May" to get $8 off. I did and it worked!

We stayed in Texas City before our cruise last year, at the Hampton I believe.

The mall behind it was totally closed and out of business. There was a burger place and a Mexican restaurant very close. Walmart was just across the intersection and past the interstate.

We stayed two nights and had no problems but it seemed to be a more run-down kind of area.

Just booked the Hampton Inn in Texas City for pre-cruise night before July 1 Triumph. Used my state government ID and got the room for less than $100 with tax. :)

Also booked the EZ Cruise parking for the week. A cruise on our roll call said if you book online in May, use the promo code "May" to get $8 off. I did and it worked!

We booked, "Galveston Park n Cruise." We really wanted the garage parking. It was only about 10-15 bucks more than regular parking for a week long cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
We stayed in Texas City before our cruise last year, at the Hampton I believe.

The mall behind it was totally closed and out of business. There was a burger place and a Mexican restaurant very close. Walmart was just across the intersection and past the interstate.

We stayed two nights and had no problems but it seemed to be a more run-down kind of area.

As of today, the Mall of the Mainland is pretty much closed down, and the Walmart moved over to I-45-S right next to Sams Club. The big new Tanger outlet mall is now open, if you are going down I-45-S you take the Hughes/Holland Exit onto the feeder road and it will be on the right. Texas has feeder roads that run along the interstate. If you stay on the feeder after the Tanger outlet on the same side (right before the Dog Park) will be Sams and Walmart. couple of eating places, I-Hop, etc.

Also, as others have said there are a bunch of pretty ok places to eat in the League City area. both sides of the freeway (I-45 S) You could take the 646 exit and turn right into the HEB parking lot area and bunch right in front of HEB Grocery. or turn left and go over overpass and turn left onto that feeder rd and turn into first drive way and there are several more.

I live in the little town of Dickinson which is right in the same area and there are some really good places from Bay Area Blvd to League city. So if anyone needs more info. on any place shout out and I will give you what I know are good places. No one has mentioned one of our favorite places and it is right in Texas City on I-45 feeder. Now folks this is real Texas food, I mean chicken fried steak like it should be and huge portions. The baked potatoes are bigger than Dallas. Good prices. Name is Kelly's. If you are coming I-45-S take exit 12 stay on feeder to light then turn left and it is right on the corner on the right. This is where the locals go and we try to keep it secret but will share with y'all.

Did you look into the courtyard galveston island gulf port? We are going to try them for our jan cruise and got a 139 rate which seemed to be cheaper than the other hotels in the are like harbor house ect. My dh wants to stay on the island.. God forbid something happen to the bridge from the main land the morning of the cruise .... I know its a long shot but we have seen crazier happen

We booked, "Galveston Park n Cruise." We really wanted the garage parking. It was only about 10-15 bucks more than regular parking for a week long cruise.

Btw noel i was told its not garage parking its indoor parking in a huge metal wherehouse at park n cruise thats locked and cooled i really like that better than my car in a open lot!:) we are using it to in january

Archived