Cadiz to Jerez on our own?

mom4mom

We'd really like to go to the bordegas for a sherry tour as well as the horse exhibition but the ship excursions are too expensive and I hate to be herded around with lots of people. Has anyone actually taken a bus or train to the area on their own? We are docked from 8-5. Is this doable? I understand that the bus/train station is walkable from the ship. How do you get around once you get to Jerez? Are taxis readily available? Thanks for any information.

We've visited Jerez by car on a land tour & taken in the horse show at the Eschuela Real. And we've visited Cadiz by cruise ship. But not travelled between the two by train.

The train station in Cadiz is on the corner of the port, 5 mins to 15 mins depending on your berth.

But the station in Jerez is a half-hour walk from the Eschuela Real ............ if you don't get lost on the way :p

Taxis at the rail station.

The Sandeman bodega is just a two minute walk from the Eschuela, and there's no need to book a tour.

I doubt it's the best bodega in Jerez, or the worst. But it's comfortably the closest to the Eschuela.

I don't know whether there's a taxi rank in the area, but staff at the Eschuela or bodega can probably call one for you. Or you're likely to have plenty of time to wend your way back to the station on foot, exploring as you go & taking in mebbe the bullring & another bodega such as Harvey's.

Be aware that most bodegas, including Sandeman's, are no longer functioning & are retained almost exclusively for tours and promotions - production is mainly at modern factories on the edge of the city.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks for the information. So you think it is doable with 9 hours in port?

Yep.

Easy.

That 9 is likely to be 8 or less between dis-embarking & re-boarding.

But it can easily be done in about 5 hours, leaving you about three hours for meandering, eating, drinking, shopping & people-watching.

I don't know the train frequency - best to check out their website. If its half-hourly or better I'd just take the train when it comes, if it's hourly or worse I'd want to jot down the times & aim to catch the second-to-last possible train back to Cadiz.

The Eschuela's carriage museum & other bits are open I think daily, but the actual shows aren't - if there's one on your port day do consider fitting it in. Booking is advised cos it often books out, we did & would have been turned away had we not done so.

http://www.realescuela.org/

JB :)

• 1 year later...

Hi there I've just found your thread whilst researching for explorer this June. John has already helped me on another port.

Did you end up doing this and if so how?

We are not interested in the bodegas just the Spanish Riding school on our own from cadiz. Thanks x