Cabin rec for 9-day Alaska & Pacific on Vision?

We are first time cruisers. Getting lots of advice, but it's time to book and we're a bit bumfuzzled about which cabin to book, and there are some big cost differences.

We're planning on the 9-day repositioning cruise on Vision that goes Vancouver up into Alaska, then back down to LA.

If we book an oceanview guarantee, it's $799/person, but for oceanview with a specified room, it's $1100/person, give or take a bit. Moving up to a guaranteed balcony is $1299/person, but we don't get to pick our room, or we can book a balconey and select our room for $1500/person. For only slightly more, we can book a Deluxe Guarantee, which I assume means we're guaranteed at least a JS, but there again, we don't get to select the room.

I know this is a pretty wide-ranging question, but I'd sure appreciate any advice from experienced cruisers, especially those familiar with Vision, as to what they'd do in our shoes. I'm frugal by nature, but willing to spend more if it really improves the experience.

Archived