Dover Castle help?

tigercat

I hope this is okay to post. I am leaving out of Dover on the 1st of Sept. We are arriving from Canada on the 30th and want to spend the day on the 31st at the castle. I can't find an e-mail address that works though to find out more information. It says it has motorized scooters available but I need to know how much money they cost and if you have to reserve them. Also, when we get food do we leave a tip at the table? If so how much is the norm? I don't want to rip anyone off.

tigercat

I just called Dover Castle to find out for you and they're free to borrow the mobility scooters on site. However, they recommended that you called a week in advance to book one in order to ensure that there will be one available.

Thank you very much Brian. I will find out their phone number. I think the time difference between England and where I live is about 5 hrs. I am looking forward to our stay in England.

tigercat

The number for the site is 01304 211 067 although you'll need to add the international dialing code.

It'll take you through to a automated menu - you'll want to select the "other" option to get through to an actual person.

• 2 weeks later...

Having visited Dover Castle a few times, in terms of tipping, at least at this site I think the only place to eat is a cafe where you essentially serve yourself, so no tipping required. (At least that was the only place we found to eat at!)

In general in the UK at restaurants, tipping is 10% and only if you want to. The staff are paid regular wages so they do not 'depend' on tips.

Not sure how you plan on getting there but a vehicle is a must, maybe a taxi or if you are renting a car you can use that. The entrance is found at the top of a very very long, steep and tall hill.

Bit late this for Tigercat, but perhaps this may help others sailing from Dover.

Dover castle is run by English Heritage and information on the castle including prices can be found at

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/dover-castle/

It's a very good day out and if you get decent weather you have a view across the channel to France. You'll also find the many other properties that English Heritage manage on this web site.

Archived