What I overlooked in my advance planning

It seems so obvious but in all my advance research for our Baltic Cruise, with all the guide books I read, all the internet research I did on ports and previous cruisers experiences, there was something I overlooked that would have been very helpful. I wish I had looked at those glossy coffee table "picture books" to single out not-to-be-missed works of art in museums like the Hermitage and the National Gallery in London. Guide books can direct you to some of the best, but they are very selective and play to the general travelling population. For someone with serious art interest it can be a blow to discover afterwards that you missed something extraordinary. I have actually never seen anyone post a list of the greatest artworks they saw on their trip, probably because it would be hard to recall so many treasures. For me it would be the Da Vinci's and Rembrandts at the Hermitage (the Impressionist rooms were closed that morning), and, afterwards in London, the Portrait of a Doge by Bellini (a favorite ever since I first saw it but now the lighting is sadly regulated so that it doesn't show to advantage) at the National Gallery. They also have an exquisite Monet of the bridge at Giverny. My sister, who went to the National Gallery separately, saw a Michelangelo "cartoon" (drawing) which she said was amazing in its' sculptural quality.

The coffee table book is also useful as an overview of a city or country and could be a good place to begin one's research.

That's an interesting insight, so thanks for leaving those notes. Several years ago, I chose Renoir as my favorite artist, so I seek out his works everywhere I go, and it really adds a lot to my trips.

:)

Donna

Why, yesterday I was just looking at a coffee table book I bought a few years ago at a State Library Book Sale. It is on the Hermitage. Little did I know that it would someday come in very handy, including maps of the different floors and rooms. We'll see it for real early September.

A very good suggestion. A good perusal of the Hermitage web site would be useful, too. :cool:

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/02/hm2_14.html

Donna, I do the same thing with Vermeer and saw six in New York this trip. Of all the great museums I visited on the L.A.-N.Y-London-Baltic trip the most beautiful Renoir I recall was in the Getty museum in L.A. It was a more unusual one of a man and woman in dappled light in a garden or park. I didn't think too much of the Getty after visiting the great museums of the world on the same trip, except for that painting and the Van Gogh irises that hangs next to it. (The Getty has no Vermeers and I didn't think the rest of their collection-what I saw of it anyway- was top quality, even though they had a special Rembrandt exhibit.) Only one Rembrandt really stood out and I had just seen 21 1/2 Rembrandts, as our Red October guide put it (referring to the badly damaged one) in the Hermitage. I should note I never saw the Renoirs in the Hermitage since the Impressionist rooms were closed when I was there- I understand due to Madonna's private tour.....

Donna, That is a great idea. Thanks. Marlyne

:) Hi Marlyne.

Tartangal, I saw that one in the Getty Museum last year, and it was amazing, so your note brings back nice memories! I was hoping I'd get over to Pasadena to see a few Impressionist paintings in a couple of museums there, but I didn't make it. I'm trying to get to all the great art in the U.S. too and still have a long way to go, so I appreciate the Renoir note. Well, dang Madonna. I hope to see some Vermeers on this trip too. It sounds like we both like art museums, so it's a shame we weren't on the same sailing. Thanks for your notes, and happy next trip to you.

Donna

Donna, We do sound like birds of a feather! If you are trying to see all the great art in the U.S. and haven't already been to the Frick Museum in NY, it's still one of my favorites. This time I was knocked out by the famous portrait of Sir Thomas Moore-I think by Holbein, as well as several Vermeers.

I sent my niece to the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum in Boston when she travelled there and she wrote to thank me for such a great suggestion. The postcards she sent made me want to go there even more (I had only read about it) as the mansion, which she said is not that impressive from the outside, is patterned after an Italian villa and has a stunning courtyard in the center as well as fabulous art.

Thanks for your empathy about missing the Impressionists in the Hermitage. I understand payola is the order of the day in Russia, and it must be all too easy for the ultra-wealthy to arrange to have public areas closed for their convenience.....

Archived