French Quarter restaurant with live music

jlpalmer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will be celebrating my mom's belated 60th birthday in New Orleans prior to our New Years cruise this year. As per her request we are going to take her out for supper. She would like to go to a nice but not crazy expensive restaurant. That would be easy in itself but she wants live traditional New Orleans music. I have tried looking online but had not too much success.

So, any suggestions?

What night? Dec. 31 is always tough, and keep in mind that there will be many Sugar Bowl visitors in town.

I am not sure what restaurants at night will have live music unless you go to a music club. There are several very nice restaurants that feature jazz brunch on Sunday. And that sounds like what you are looking for. Restaurants to check on as fas as a Sunday brunch are Commander's Palace, Arnaud's and Mr B's.

As far dinner in the evening, what type of cuisine do you like?

What night? Dec. 31 is always tough, and keep in mind that there will be many Sugar Bowl visitors in town.

I am not sure what restaurants at night will have live music unless you go to a music club. There are several very nice restaurants that feature jazz brunch on Sunday. And that sounds like what you are looking for. Restaurants to check on as fas as a Sunday brunch are Commander's Palace, Arnaud's and Mr B's.

As far dinner in the evening, what type of cuisine do you like?

We sail out on the 29th so we would need to go on the 28th.

Thanks everyone so far for the suggestions. With the cruise leaving on the Sunday a brunch probably won't work but I will research what has been mentioned.

Thanks in advance to anyone else who posts :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph & Kacoo's has dueling pianos on the weekends. It's actually in the front of their dining room and they play a lot of New Orleans jazz songs as well as some piano pop classics (Billy Joel, etc...) We go there a lot because it's nice to dine with live music!

There are quite a few places to go for live music in the French Quarter. Cafe Brasil on Chartres is a funky spot with good music. The House of Blues on Decatur is always a safe choice!!! If you want something really great, go see the Preservation Hall Jazz Band after dinner. I can't say enough about this experience. It's standing room only, in an old never-renovated "hall". The music is incredible....I stood in line for an hour once just to get in!!!! I'm obsessed with these guys!!!! Their website is preservationhalljazzband dot com, I really recommend it to anyone looking for a genuine New Orleans music experience!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived