Dolphin Encounter for Kids/PV???

ml64

I posted this on the Mexican Riveria thread and then thought more cruisers w/kids would see it over here.

We're traveling with DS (5yrs) in October on the Sapphire Princess. One of the excursions listed while in PV is a Dolphin Encounter for Kids (ages 4-8). I was thinking that it would be ideal for the "munchkin" rather than the swimming with dolphin excursions (just concerned he might be too afraid on the more in-depth excursions plus I don't think they take 5yr olds anyway).

Wondering if anyone around the boards ever particiated and what thoughts they had. As always, these boards are wonderful. Thanks in advance for your help.

This wasn't on a cruise, but...last year we took the family to Cancun and my oldest, who had just turned nine, did the $150 dolphin swim. He was in a group with one other little girl and the rest adults. All wore life jackets. He was able to hendle the dolphin, learned about them, and then, while he floated on his belly, two dolphins came up behind him and threw him up in the air. He loved it. Then, the dolphin jumped over their heads. It was about oneand a half hours. There was a somewhat cheaper dolphin encounter that was meant for younger kids or people that weren't so sure about the whole thing. We saw moms with toddlers in their arms. That one, you basically had the dolphins swimming around you and you could touch them. If your children are good swimmers, I would just go for it, especially if one of you does it with them. My oldest lives to be in the water and had no fear. It is one of the coolest things a kid can do, and he got an awesome picture (close-up) of the dophin in his arms.

Good luck!

The encounter is more open to younger ages but the swim I beleive you have to be 8 or over4ft 3 to 5 inches. I had to boook the encounter in cosumel where they just go waist deep, because my one sone son is only 7. so, just be careful on the age and height requirements.

I posted this on the Mexican Riveria thread and then thought more cruisers w/kids would see it over here.

We're traveling with DS (5yrs) in October on the Sapphire Princess. One of the excursions listed while in PV is a Dolphin Encounter for Kids (ages 4-8). I was thinking that it would be ideal for the "munchkin" rather than the swimming with dolphin excursions (just concerned he might be too afraid on the more in-depth excursions plus I don't think they take 5yr olds anyway).

Wondering if anyone around the boards ever particiated and what thoughts they had. As always, these boards are wonderful. Thanks in advance for your help.

Go for it!!!! My son loved it and what an experence!!! 3 years later in wood shop his first thing to make was a Dolphin!!!! They Never Forget it!!!!

Now I just wonder how he is going to make a Stingray!!!! LOL

We did the Dolphin Encounter SWIM with the adults only a few years ago. You are right, the water is deeper and they have a minimum age of 9. Our kids were, and still are, too young. So, on the last cruise we did the Dolphin Encounter where you stand on the platform instead and it is suppose to be ok. for littler ones. Mine were 5 and 7 and the time. I would not do it again until they were old enough to do the swim if they wanted too. My problems with the encounter were that the kids were not able to stand on the platform with their life jackets on. The life jackets lifted them too much in the water and they kept floating the entire time. We had to hang on to them so they didn't float into the area where the dolphin was swimming. When they are suppose to kiss the dolphin they have to be able to be up out of the water but they were both too little unless we held them up which wasn't an easy task with the waves pushing us too. Lastly, the water was cold and my son (the 5 year old) was freezing. There are about 20 people in the group and it takes a while to get through all of them for the kiss so my son ended up getting out of the water and waiting up on the dock. All in all, not the greatest experience. We have another cruise coming up and neither of my kids want to do it again. I felt it was a waste of money. Sorry for the negative review to all who liked this. On the flip side the Dolphin SWIM is awsome and I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Whether it's good, bad or indifferent it's always know what "might" happen and I always welcome the expert advice I always get here at CC. Thanks for taking the time everyone.

Lynn

Archived