Scubagirl, I have a question I am sure you can answer

effare

First thanks in advance for your help, I have spent many hours on this site reading to gain the knowledge and information we need to make decisions about what we want to do. My question is; the ship charges $59 for an excursion to "Discover Atlantis". I think it's really high, but we may never go there again and want to see it. If I go on my own I know it is $40 to see the aquarium, and a cab ride there and back would be about $8-12 pp round trip. So I am looking at 59 thru the ship and 48-52 on my own, but if I go on my own, will I be able to see all the same things and have the same walking around privileges? If you go on your own, do they conduct aquarium tours every hour or something? I am thinking that we may be able to go on our own at a different time that the excursion time, though I am sure it will be crowded no matter what.

Also can you recommend an excursion that involves stingrays?

Thanks so much!

I found this:

Blackbeard Cay Stingray Adventure

Are they still offering tours? thru Bahamas snorkel, I haven't read anything about them so I'm wondering if you know if they are reputable?

First thanks in advance for your help, I have spent many hours on this site reading to gain the knowledge and information we need to make decisions about what we want to do. My question is; the ship charges $59 for an excursion to "Discover Atlantis". I think it's really high, but we may never go there again and want to see it. If I go on my own I know it is $40 to see the aquarium, and a cab ride there and back would be about $8-12 pp round trip. So I am looking at 59 thru the ship and 48-52 on my own, but if I go on my own, will I be able to see all the same things and have the same walking around privileges? If you go on your own, do they conduct aquarium tours every hour or something? I am thinking that we may be able to go on our own at a different time that the excursion time, though I am sure it will be crowded no matter what.

Also can you recommend an excursion that involves stingrays?

Thanks so much!

You get the same priveleges with either tour.. except, your ships tour includes a little more of an overall tour of the grounds.

There are tours of the DIGS done regularly, but I don't know if it's hourly.

I found this:

Blackbeard Cay Stingray Adventure

Are they still offering tours? thru Bahamas snorkel, I haven't read anything about them so I'm wondering if you know if they are reputable?

Blackbeards Cay has been closed for years. There are currently no stingray tours offered. At least not at this time.

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much! We are in port from early morning until midnight so we have tons of time. I think we will do the walking tour in the am (at least whatever we can on a Sunday) and then Atlantis after lunch with the ship tour. For the late afternoon what is the best beach that may have some shade? I loved the pics of the hammocks on blue lagoon but the times may not work for that.

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much! We are in port from early morning until midnight so we have tons of time. I think we will do the walking tour in the am (at least whatever we can on a Sunday) and then Atlantis after lunch with the ship tour. For the late afternoon what is the best beach that may have some shade? I loved the pics of the hammocks on blue lagoon but the times may not work for that.

Since you are going to be at Atlantis, you may as well just walk over to the free beach next to the RIU/Atlantis called Cabbage Beach.

It's the same waters as Atlantis.

As for shade.. there's not much on the north side of the island where all the beaches are, but by the end of the day, the tall trees along the perimeter should give you shade.

Walk out the Coral or Beach tower exit and follow the signs to the beach (left).. Look for the RIU sign on the hotel.. the path is right next door. About 5 minute walk from these exits.

Archived