how to condition mask?

rkmom

Can someone please tell me again how to prepare a new mask for use? I bought some defogger drops to use once we are out there, but isn't there something you are supposed to do first?

Any other tips? Mine always has fogged up in the past, or leaked.

Thanks!

KL

What I have done is this: get some toothpaste, put a small amount on the inside of the lense, rub it in with your finger for a couple of minutes, then rinse. The tooth paste polishes off the silicon residue from the manufacturing process. How much toothpaste? I use a bit about the size of a pea for the whole thing.

To add what bruce said...make sure the toothpaste is PASTE...not the GEL type. The paste type has a slight abrasive which will take off the coating. Then add your defogger drops. You're good to go!

Also, check out the limitations on your defogger drops. I saw one in a dive shop that cautioned the user to "keep away from eyes". Now, I don't know about you, but if I plan on putting them in my diving mask, I sure don't want to use something that says to not put them near the eye. ;)

I just use Johnson's baby shampoo. It's cheaper and just as good to keep the mask clear. Use a drop in each lens, smear it around, and rinse in sea water. No Problem Mon'

Happy bubbles.

Also, check out the limitations on your defogger drops. I saw one in a dive shop that cautioned the user to "keep away from eyes". Now, I don't know about you, but if I plan on putting them in my diving mask, I sure don't want to use something that says to not put them near the eye. ;)

I just use Johnson's baby shampoo. It's cheaper and just as good to keep the mask clear. Use a drop in each lens, smear it around, and rinse in sea water. No Problem Mon'

Happy bubbles.

That is true but once you put the defogger drops in you, want to make sure you rinse the mask off with a little water before putting it on.

Later,

ScubaJohn02

Archived