Carnival Sea Miles Card

pwrchick

I have a question regarding the Carnival Sea mIles Credit Card....

Does anyone know if charges made for things like paying bills will earn reward points? I have several bills that are automatically deducted from my checking account. If I changed that to the sea miles credit card, can I earn points for those?

You should be able too. We use ours for a lot of our monthly items, gas, groceries and eating out. We just charge it and put the money a side for the bill to come. Trying to earn enough for a free cruise here in a few years. Your post will move down as others place newer postings. Then move up as people post on your thread.

I was using the Capital One "Carnival Card" and was offered a "Sea Miles" card from Jupiter Bank. I accepted the offer and upon receiving the card I read the fine print. There are MANY restrictions as to HOW and WHEN you can use the points that you accrue. I opted out of the program and cancelled the card (in writing).

Hoosier-

I also read the "fine print" and that was the reason for my question. There was a lengthy list of things that don't count. It made me wonder. I already have the card, so I guess I'll try using it to pay something and see what happens.

Here is the other Thread on the SeaMilesCard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=185942&page=1&pp=25

There are a few of us on here that already reached over 45k points and can enter the 40k points part of the website. We will be booking our next years cruise with it, We will keep you posted on any problems that come up.

I was using the Capital One "Carnival Card" and was offered a "Sea Miles" card from Jupiter Bank. I accepted the offer and upon receiving the card I read the fine print. There are MANY restrictions as to HOW and WHEN you can use the points that you accrue. I opted out of the program and cancelled the card (in writing).

Why throw the Capital One cruise points away? They will be transfered over to the SeaMiles card this July.

I There are MANY restrictions as to HOW and WHEN you can use the points that you accrue. .

What restrictions?? What how and when??There are NO restrictions,no blackout dates,no nothing.

When you get enough points,you access the site,imput the cruise you want and the price's using your points are shown.Some are free,some are a little more, and every catagory from bunk bed to owners suite is yours for the taking on any date you want including almost any cruise in the world on almost any line.

Steve

Using my reward points, when I entered in the cruise I was interested in, the price came up exactly the same price my TA was already giving me...so I see no great benefit to the card. I liked the Capital One better where I could get cash back to apply toward a cruise...and use any TA I wanted.

I did a whole work up on this sea miles card 2 months ago.....knowing my REMAINING points were going to be transfered....

I too noticed there was NO savings at all for the cruise I was interested in for my 10,000 points...

What a waste...plus you have to pay an additional service fee........

I called them to inquiring if they were offering anything else like chocolates....or on board credits ..NOTHING

Using my reward points, when I entered in the cruise I was interested in, the price came up exactly the same price my TA was already giving me..

Difference is Youre paying with your TA... With the Cards its free.

Sea miles charges a $15 service fee....

my home town travel agent doesnt....

Therefor....if the price with 10,000 sea miles is lets say 500pp

and the price without the card is still 500pp it is in my best interest to book with hometown agent and save $15.

I wish they would offer something on board....like flowers or chocolates or drink coupons.........bucket a beer...lol Anything to use up points.

Someway i can actually use those points.

I have 20,000 points that will beTRANSFERED....plus right now I already have 12000 on my new card.....

what a haox...

We should call 1800 carnival and let them know of our disappointment...

I called this sea miles DIRECTLY to see what else I could use my points for

on board credit , bottle of wine ect....

because for my 10,000 points I would get NO SAVINGS AT ALL for the cruise I was interested in....

The first person was very suprised to hear for 10,000 there was no savings at all. This was the credit card company itself.

She insisted that there was $50-500 in saving for 10,000 points

She was in management... This seemed to be the credit card company in charge....She explained she could only get into first page of seamiles web site(HA_HA)...and could not get into actual site as I can...I told her I could send her proof because I can get into thier site having over 10,000 points already.... She was nice and seemed suprised....

Then...........

She told me to talk to another departments customer service.

That guy said YES IT IS TRUE we are aware that sometimes there is NO SAVINGS at all,on some sailings with this card and points.

He said....It depends on what the travel agency(sea miles) they are working with decides to discount?????

I was told to contact them directly...and work something out with them.

This agency is making a bundle with is free referrals.they are getting full commision...plus offering nothing for this card and points...

Airline service fees thru other credit cards are ussually 10 @ ticket thiers is $50.00

• 2 weeks later...

We had our points transferred from the Capital One card to the Juniper Card and are we sorry that we did not get a certificate before the change over. This new credit card and its seamiles is a total ripoff. We looked at a few cruises and you get 50.00 off for 10,000 dollars, I mean points and you have to use their travel agent and the prices are higher than we can get from our TA

Carnival must have found a way to make more money and to rip off its customers. We have done five cruises and we are glad that our next three cruises are with another cruise line. You get certain cruises free for 40,000 points in a 1a. Thats 40,000.00 dollars that passes through their bank and all you get is the bottom of the boat.

Carnival and Juniper are a total rip off.

Larry

• 2 months later...

I have been doing some research on the seamiles card, and it looks like from these posts....it aint all it is cracked up to be! I have always been told "If it sounds to good to be true...BEWARE!"

Does anyone know of a credit card that is ACTUALLY up front with all their restrictions/ hidden fees? If so....please clue me in ! Sometimes the small print is small for a reason....so you can't see it!:D

You may want to look into other types of credit cards that also offer Cruises as a prize. For example, DH stays with Mariott about 2 times a month, so naturally has the Frequent Guest card, which earns points. We also have the Mariott credit card, which earns Mariott points. One of the prizes that you can choose is 7 day Carnival cruise for 2 - cat 6 - and of course blackout dates apply. Now granted, you need to rack up almost 200,000 points, but it's something to work towards!

So the key is to do the research first as far as which companies offer what especially since now everyone and their brother, from Hotel chains to Airlines, etc offer credit cards.

Wennfred, it isn't free. The "discounted" Seamiles price using our points was the exact same price I can get from my TA using no points. So I see no advantage to the card.

You're telling me that your TA can get you onboard the Valor 7 day cruise for 295.oo pp? thats what I paid for it redeeming 45k points... Give them a call lol.

I have been doing some research on the seamiles card, and it looks like from these posts....it aint all it is cracked up to be! I have always been told "If it sounds to good to be true...BEWARE!"

Does anyone know of a credit card that is ACTUALLY up front with all their restrictions/ hidden fees? If so....please clue me in ! Sometimes the small print is small for a reason....so you can't see it!:D

Dont get mis-information from reading some of these post, unless you have the card yourself and can do your own research. I had the Capitol One card and my points transfered on July 5th. At 45k points you can go on a 5 day Cruise, I redeemed 45k points and got my Valor cruise at a Discount of 295.00 pp, all prices are listed on the website, you can enter those section of the website as long as you have the right amount of point. No extra hidden restrictions.

As for using the Card for every day purchases why not, No one else gives me points to cruise.:)

Thanks for the replys. I already have a capitol one card, but I do not use it. It does not have a balance, it is just my EMERGENCY card.I also think I need to call them and possibly upgrade my card so that my future purchases will have some reward.

Archived